Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/07/2018, 10:58 PM   #1
SaltWaterGuy08
Registered Member

Jebao DIY cleaning

If you need help cleaning your pump

https://youtu.be/3nc-BpKa3Yo

SaltWaterGuy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2018, 03:21 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Nice video. Just a bit of advice. If you really want the pump to last, any magnet drive powerhead or pump should be taken completely apart so you can clean and scrub the magnet and the inside of magnet cavity too. Especially with the Jebao’s as they have fairly weak magnets. The magnet and magnet cavity tends to build a bit of heat and you end up with some calcification in there. While the vinegar will soften the caclium inside the magnet cavity, by not dissasembling it, the calcium will still be left in the magnet cavity which isn’t really a good thing as the motor will have to work harder and that can lead to premature failure.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2018, 04:41 PM   #3
homer1475
Registered Member

Yup I agree with Slief.

I always disassemble my pumps to clean the impeller magnet and cavity.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2018, 05:49 PM   #4
SaltWaterGuy08
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Nice video. Just a bit of advice. If you really want the pump to last, any magnet drive powerhead or pump should be taken completely apart so you can clean and scrub the magnet and the inside of magnet cavity too. Especially with the Jebao’s as they have fairly weak magnets. The magnet and magnet cavity tends to build a bit of heat and you end up with some calcification in there. While the vinegar will soften the caclium inside the magnet cavity, by not dissasembling it, the calcium will still be left in the magnet cavity which isn’t really a good thing as the motor will have to work harder and that can lead to premature failure.
Thanks for the advice I Aprreciate it! Will definitely do that next time , explains why the pump is always getting weak.

Unread 10/08/2018, 05:54 PM   #5
SaltWaterGuy08
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Yup I agree with Slief.

I always disassemble my pumps to clean the impeller magnet and cavity.
I never actually disassembled the whole pump. Thanks for the help !
Next time when I will clean the pump I’ll do it. I just thought Jebao pumps would start getting slower over time

Unread 10/08/2018, 06:58 PM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltWaterGuy08 View Post
I never actually disassembled the whole pump. Thanks for the help !
Next time when I will clean the pump I’ll do it. I just thought Jebao pumps would start getting slower over time
Very glad to help. They do get slower due to buildup but the buildup that really slows them down is actually inside the magnet cavity and on the magnet since it creates friction inside the pump. That’s why it’s important to take the pump completely apart if you really want to get it clean where it counts most in terms of longevity. This goes for pretty much all pumps that use a magnet on the impeller. Granted, buildup on the veins outside the pump will restrict flow through the pump but buildup inside the magnet cavity slows the rotor down and will eventually overload the pump.

By the way, your pump looked clean compared to how bad my Tunze’s get.
This is one of them before my last cleaning. They turn into rocks by the time I get around to cleaning them though they never skip a beat or slow down.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 10/08/2018 at 07:06 PM.
Unread 10/08/2018, 08:58 PM   #7
SaltWaterGuy08
Registered Member

[QUOTE=slief;25506410]Very glad to help. They do get slower due to buildup but the buildup that really slows them down is actually inside the magnet cavity and on the magnet since it creates friction inside the pump. That’s why it’s important to take the pump completely apart if you really want to get it clean where it counts most in terms of longevity. This goes for pretty much all pumps that use a magnet on the impeller. Granted, buildup on the veins outside the pump will restrict flow through the pump but buildup inside the magnet cavity slows the rotor down and will eventually overload the pump.

By the way, your pump looked clean compared to how bad my Tunze’s get.
This is one of them before my last cleaning. They turn into rocks by the time I get around to cleaning them though they never skip a beat or slow down.
[/QUOTE

That pump is covered in coraline, it doesn’t even look like a pump lol looks more like a rock. Yea I know my pump wasn’t that dirty it mostly had green Hair Algae.

Unread 10/08/2018, 11:39 PM   #8
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:

That pump is covered in coraline, it doesn’t even look like a pump lol looks more like a rock. Yea I know my pump wasn’t that dirty it mostly had green Hair Algae.
You should have seen the other 2 pumps when I did this cleaning. One had coraline that was literally an inch thick. I abuse my pumps but the Tunze’s take thew abuse very well.

Unread 10/09/2018, 05:36 PM   #9
SaltWaterGuy08
Registered Member

Quote:
You should have seen the other 2 pumps when I did this cleaning. One had coraline that was literally an inch thick. I abuse my pumps but the Tunze’s take thew abuse very well.
Damm lmaooo how does that even happen ? My pumps never have gotten like that.

Unread 10/09/2018, 06:44 PM   #10
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Damm lmaooo how does that even happen ? My pumps never have gotten like that.
I tend to be lazy when it comes to maintenance. A couple years without cleaning and pumps become coraline rocks that create waves. The coraline gets so thick on the cover that I have to soak the pumps in vinegar just to get the cover off so I can take them completely apart. It was almost a shame to clean this one. It looked really cool and blended right in the rocks around it. That is solid coraline an inch or so thick protruding off the front of the power head. It was a nightmare to clean. LOL

I have my Tunze’s wires routed through bulkheads in my tank so the wires can’t be see and it makes cleaning a bit more of a chore as I have to do it on top of the tank as opposed to outside.

Unread 10/10/2018, 10:11 AM   #11
SaltWaterGuy08
Registered Member

Quote:
I tend to be lazy when it comes to maintenance. A couple years without cleaning and pumps become coraline rocks that create waves. The coraline gets so thick on the cover that I have to soak the pumps in vinegar just to get the cover off so I can take them completely apart. It was almost a shame to clean this one. It looked really cool and blended right in the rocks around it. That is solid coraline an inch or so thick protruding off the front of the power head. It was a nightmare to clean. LOL

I have my Tunze’s wires routed through bulkheads in my tank so the wires can’t be see and it makes cleaning a bit more of a chore as I have to do it on top of the tank as opposed to outside.
Was the flow still strong with all that coraline on the pump ? Quick question do you have any suggestions on green hair algae. My tank has been running for 4-5 years and I just removed all of it right now in one of my videos. Anything I should know so it won’t come back . I was dealing with it for like a month

Unread 10/10/2018, 10:31 AM   #12
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Was the flow still strong with all that coraline on the pump ? Quick question do you have any suggestions on green hair algae. My tank has been running for 4-5 years and I just removed all of it right now in one of my videos. Anything I should know so it won’t come back . I was dealing with it for like a month
No issues with flow. The Tunze’s are beasts and never slow down. Plus the coraline grows on the top of the power heads and not the bottom so they can still pull water in through the under side of the cage. As for hair algae, keeping your Po4 and Nitrates low will help. Granted my Po4 is regularly .25 and my nitrates 25ppm but they are in balance and I never have GHA issues. Also, having more quality lights with more blue spectrum over the display as opposed to whiter light can go a long way since most macro’s thrive under white and or red spectrums and white lighting has a lot of red in it. Having a good size refugium where algae can out compete the tank can help a lot. If you in a rush, you can try flucazole treatment. Do a google search for flucazole GHA and you can read up on using that. I have not used it personally but I know others have had good success erradicating it with that stuff.

Unread 10/10/2018, 06:36 PM   #13
SaltWaterGuy08
Registered Member

Quote:
No issues with flow. The Tunze’s are beasts and never slow down. Plus the coraline grows on the top of the power heads and not the bottom so they can still pull water in through the under side of the cage. As for hair algae, keeping your Po4 and Nitrates low will help. Granted my Po4 is regularly .25 and my nitrates 25ppm but they are in balance and I never have GHA issues. Also, having more quality lights with more blue spectrum over the display as opposed to whiter light can go a long way since most macro’s thrive under white and or red spectrums and white lighting has a lot of red in it. Having a good size refugium where algae can out compete the tank can help a lot. If you in a rush, you can try flucazole treatment. Do a google search for flucazole GHA and you can read up on using that. I have not used it personally but I know others have had good success erradicating it with that stuff.
What is po4? Is it Phosphate? I currently have t5 on the tank, you might have a point there with lights, on the t5 I have 2 white,1 blue and purple. I’m guessing I kinda have defeated it I took 95% of it out while doing a water change

Unread 10/10/2018, 07:36 PM   #14
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
What is po4? Is it Phosphate? I currently have t5 on the tank, you might have a point there with lights, on the t5 I have 2 white,1 blue and purple. I’m guessing I kinda have defeated it I took 95% of it out while doing a water change
Po4 is phosphate.

Unread 10/11/2018, 10:20 AM   #15
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

the video on cleaning the jebao pump is not sufficient. it is easy enough to pry the holder apart by hand to free the pump cage, and twist (counter clockwise) to separate the front from back and clean the prop.

those who have been around long enough probably can remember the tunze/ecotech fiasco where ecotech published a study showing tunze puts out way less flow than what they advertise in the specs.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote