Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saint Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists (SLASH)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/30/2018, 04:43 PM   #1
mkart
Registered Member

Mkart starting something new

Well my wife seems to agree that a tank will look nice in my basement bar so I’m looking at starting it up again. I knew if I checked in I would want to try and do something. I don’t want to have what I built last time but think I can rework the back of the bar to house a 90 gallon standard or maybe a 110 tall. I only have room for an 18” deep tank, which sucks a bit, so those seem to be the best options. I have been wanting to rework the bar anyway since moving in so it’s a good excuse to build something. Rebuilt my wood shop this year and have been without since 2014.

Now I’m trying to develop a budget, which I did last time and busted it immediately. I enjoy the tech side of it as much as anything so I will design with that in mind. Can’t believe how much has changed in 4 years on control systems. So many features out there. I had Neptune Apex before and liked it so I’ll probably try to repeat that. This time no sump room in the basement. Everything has to fit in the back bar. I saw a couple of used 90s for sale so I could pick one of them up and get the cycle started while I work on the bar.

We will see....maybe I’ll come to my senses before I buy a tank!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2018, 04:46 PM   #2
TanksDad13
Registered Member

Nice, following.

Current Tank Info: 28 Gal Nano Mixed Reef
TanksDad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2018, 06:15 PM   #3
smoothdog
Registered Member

Coming to your sens 's is no fun. That's a perfect spot for a tank! BK has my old 110 and I wish I would have scaped it more like he did when I had it. You can get a great drop off look with the height. You also have long arms to reach the bottom

Current Tank Info: 150DD SPS dominant mixed reef. 100g sump/fuge, 6'x28"x12" frag tank, Diablo xs200 skimmer, Apex controller, Custom GEO 824 calcium reactor, panworld 200PS return pump. Lumenmax Elite reflector with Radium 250HQI bulb and 3 AI 32 HDs.
smoothdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2018, 08:43 PM   #4
mkart
Registered Member

I remember a tank at Gateway right as you walk in the door that was tall. I believe it was a 110 tall. Probably changed out by now but I know I liked the height. Probably hard to find used.

Unread 12/30/2018, 09:20 PM   #5
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Welcome back! Can’t wait to see your new reef in person and eat some home made pizzas.

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2018, 09:40 PM   #6
mkart
Registered Member

I miss my pizza oven for sure! New house has a pool but no brick oven. What ever happened to Twiggy and Dsmack! They get out too? I feel like Twiggy sold me several things when shutting down his large tank. I don’t see Oceanview either.

Unread 12/30/2018, 10:13 PM   #7
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Hershel and D Smack are still with us. Twiggy has been out for a while, got married with children He will be back someday too. Smack is starting up a 280 at his girlfriends house and Hershel has a 300 gallon.

Unread 12/31/2018, 02:46 PM   #8
keh9qd
Registered Member

Ive got a 90 gallon in good shape, reef ready. Tank was built 12/2014. It has good plumbing and bulkheads and already cleaned. $200

keh9qd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2018, 03:03 PM   #9
TanksDad13
Registered Member

I have a 60 gallon sump too if you’re interested.

Unread 12/31/2018, 04:29 PM   #10
jtrasap
Elite Member

Being a new place, if you plan on it being long-term, I wouldn't let the bar dictate the tank. I'd let the tank dictate the bar. I'd take what's there and move it all out a bit. Shallow tanks (front to back) are never fun. Just my 2 pennies. I ripped my entire basement out to build around my new tank. The bad thing is, I'm thinking about going bigger now that I have free time and I'm working on it again.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
jtrasap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2018, 05:31 PM   #11
mkart
Registered Member

I may be interested in the 90 and/or the 60 sump. Still wrapping my head around the project. I had a 220 before and wished it was deeper. Used a 180 for the sump. 18” depth isn’t ideal but it would get me back in with less investment. If I decide to go deeper and redo the bar I’m going to be pushing $10-$15k and I don’t have that kind of excitement for the project. With a 90 I can rework the back bar pretty easily.

Unread 01/01/2019, 10:47 PM   #12
mkart
Registered Member

Found s full system that I can make work. Little bigger than I hoped but has many things I would buy anyway. With any luck I’ll be calling relatives looking for help loading the tank. Up and running so maybe I can get through with a mini cycle.

Unread 01/02/2019, 04:42 PM   #13
mkart
Registered Member

Well I bought a complete 120 gallon system today and plan to break it down and setup this weekend. Has a lot of equipment I was going to buy anyway so it’s a good deal for me. I’m going to just set it up next to the bar with Tanksdad13’s sump. Today it’s using a stock tank which won’t work in my space. This will give me time to create a real plan for the bar while still working on an active system for fun.

My wife thinks we should just install a 65 between the pillars and call it a day. I can make that look nice with minimal effort. I of course want to redo the whole thing to fit something tall and longer, deep as well if possible. A 150 would be nice or maybe a 265, pretty sure that battle is lost. Keep thinking if I have to rework the bar anyway...........thanks Jtrasp.

Anyone feeling strong this weekend let me know. I have to carry this thing up a set of stairs. I pay well with beer, whiskey and food.

Unread 01/02/2019, 05:52 PM   #14
Pife
Registered Member

Man you came back with a vengeance! If it's Sunday I could be free.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2019, 11:42 PM   #15
mkart
Registered Member

I am picking up dry goods tomorrow and will figure out the tank move with the current owner for the weekend. My brother in-law is available Saturday morning so I may try to do it then. If we can’t figure it out I may hit you up Pife.

Anyone ever used the moving strap systems on a tank? Either the forearm or shoulder moving straps? Not sure if they would keep the stress distribution even but may make it easier.

He had 4 brute cans he’s giving me so I am hoping they are sturdy enough to transport water in. I’ll probably buy 10 buckets with lids as well and have 50 gallons ready at the house. The tank has a few large hammer corals and a few fish that I’m trying to keep alive.

What the heck did I get myself into?

Unread 01/03/2019, 07:39 AM   #16
TanksDad13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkart View Post
MKART

When are you planning on doing all this?

Unread 01/03/2019, 09:59 PM   #17
mkart
Registered Member

Grabbed the sump from tanksdad13 today and my brother in-law and I will be breaking the system down and moving it Saturday afternoon. With any luck I’ll get it set back up easily. Then I have to figure out what I’m going to do with the bar. Still not convinced the 120 is right for the look I want. Really think I need 30” height for the perspective I’m searching for.

Unread 01/03/2019, 10:27 PM   #18
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

150 tall?

Unread 01/04/2019, 03:54 PM   #19
mkart
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
150 tall?

That or a 110 tall. Wife would prefer 18” deep vs 24” deep. Maybe she will change her mind after this one is set up. 18” - 20” would be better for the space so I’ll keep my eye out. I have a bunch of travel coming up so I just want to get this thing set up, running and monitored. Going to order an Apex auto feeder this weekend once I see what all came with the setup.

Anyone used one of those rollers instead of socks? I hated cleaning socks. Expensive at $400 but then I might get away with using just the Vertex 150 skimmer that’s on the system already.

Unread 01/05/2019, 11:15 AM   #20
Reeferhead
Recovering Reef Addict

Awesome Matt! I look forward to seeing it come together!

St. Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists' (SLASH) Coral Donor Program (CDP)
Because, "Friends don't let friends pay $50 a polyp!"
Over 200 different corals and counting...

Current Tank Info: 352 Quintillion Gallon
Reeferhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2019, 09:32 PM   #21
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Howdy, Nick! How are you and Beth doing?

Unread 01/06/2019, 07:44 PM   #22
mkart
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeferhead View Post
Awesome Matt! I look forward to seeing it come together!

If I could have the ocean that close I wouldn’t need a tank either! Glad to hear you’re doing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 01/06/2019, 08:04 PM   #23
mkart
Registered Member

I am definitely getting too old to move systems out of basements. Got everything going except the reactors and skimmer. Skimmer overflows and I need to fiddle with it in the morning . Been a long weekend! Tons of hammer Frags as the large colonies broke apart and the 3 fish seem to be doing well. No crabs and only one snail surprised me.

I guess I’m back in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 01/06/2019, 09:27 PM   #24
Pife
Registered Member

Woot Woot! Glad you're back.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2019, 03:58 PM   #25
mkart
Registered Member

Everything seems to have survived! The previous owner only had about 80lbs of rock in the system so I need to add more. Gave me another 80lbs or so dry to use so I’ll add that over time. I had to rebuild the stand supports to fit the sump I bought from Tanksdad13 but got it done. Still letting skimmer break in after cleaning but I’ll get it tuned over the week. Definitely not keeping the tank as it is just not the right size for bar. One of the mp40s needs a new wet side but I knew that when I bought it.

Thinking about doing mostly soft corals to make upkeep a little easier. We will see if that lasts but I like the idea of it.