Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2009, 12:21 AM   #526
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Great pictures Kurt. Have to connect for a few trades soon.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2009, 11:07 AM   #527
KurtsReef
Premium Member

After reading some write ups and threads on the vermited snails, this one and about 20 others in my tank have nice new superglue hats.

Talon4x4 stopped by to pick up a coral, since my arm was already wet decided to get rid of a few of them.

Now to try and locate all the rest...or at least most as they appear to be rising in population rather quickly.

Also of note while he was there, it occurred to me that the long nose butterfly fish was not around. I cannot believe I did not miss it sooner, as my family states "It has been gone for a long time" which has me wondering when it died

not to mention why it died...it seems to have died shortly after arriving in the tank.

So I will be looking to replace it with yet another butterfly or angel of some sort in the not so distant future.

KurtsReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2009, 07:57 PM   #528
RoscoPColtrane
Registered Member

Let us know how the superglue works. I have a few vermited snails in my tank that are bothering my green star polyps. I break them off but they grow back in a week or so.

RoscoPColtrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2009, 08:00 PM   #529
dreaminmel
Registered Member

If enough glue is used that they can't break through it, it works perfectly. I've used that on a few of mine that were easy to reach.

Hiatus over, 120g in process
"Ni lia duine na tuairim."
(Everyone has their own opinion.)
dreaminmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2009, 05:14 AM   #530
KurtsReef
Premium Member

Similar experience with what Mel is stating...I used a second tube of superglue (Gel) last night and did need to reapply it too 3 of the snails that had broken through and found a few more.

I am using the gel and aiming it directly into their 'tubes', if it does not appear to be staying in the tube I then take my finger and smear it around the entrance.

Unread 03/20/2009, 08:27 AM   #531
KurtsReef
Premium Member

Well, this set up is almost two years old now and I cannot make it larger where it is...have new kids that need diapers/formula/day care....so the wife and I have decided to downsize this operation a bit.

I am currently picking out which corals will make the transition as well as which fish and will be selling the rest (this part of the process has already started)

The plan is to go with a 36x36x28 (I think they are 28" high) 150g cube. The tank will be going to the immediate right of where the current set up is in the kitchen and viewable from 2 or 2.5 sides. The sump area in the basement will also be reduced, currently have 250g of water down there, thinking 100 will be enough and will stop lighting that with a 400w MH bulb.

The montly cost of the new set up will be considerably less.

Then in about 4 - 6 years (no formula/diapers/daycare) we will be putting a 300g or so tank in the opposite wall between the dining room and family room in the main part of the house.

The current dining room table/chairs and china cabinet will be going away for a new smaller version of a dining room table.

So...thats the current plan, we are in no hurry as it was just decided this week we need to do something like this after one of the cars decided it had run long enough (140k miles) and we cannot afford to get a second car payment.

First step will be reducing the amount of livestock, then removing the current display from the dining room area with all live stock relocated to the cellar (similar to what Chris did when his tank busted...they will all live in the 300g tub). Then we will finish the "Bar" which is what the current unfinished stand will become. I will be looking for a deal on a used tank with the approximate dimensions mentioned above and/or eventually pick up a new one (Marineland).

Unread 03/20/2009, 12:16 PM   #532
backdraft79
Registered Member

Kurt. Let me know if you need any help with the tear down. Im just a rock throw away and im always willing to work. Let me know.

Mohandas Gandhi

Current Tank Info: 90RR with custom stand, canopy and cabnet. More to be added
backdraft79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2009, 12:21 PM   #533
melev
Moved On

The first step is to take another batch of pictures of your beautiful reef before the carnage commences.

Then you may proceed.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2011, 09:26 PM   #534
Conesus_Kid
Premium Member

Friends don't give friends Kenya tree...
Conesus_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2011, 12:13 PM   #535
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

I think Kurt is on another tour of the middle east...............

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote