Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/31/2007, 09:21 PM   #101
SkiFletch
Registered Member

Sorry Kurt, sounds like exactly what happened to me I feel your pain.

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon reef
SkiFletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2007, 06:58 AM   #102
chrisguy
Registered Member

Kurt, I was hoping we wouldn't have to see a post like that. It's always a set back when we have such losses. In my early tank days I had an ICH outbreak from the introduction of a Yellow Tang. I estimated it was a $200 loss by the time I got a handle on things. It was a painful experience to say the least.

My son said I should have been a potato bug farmer.
Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!!

Current Tank Info: I got nothin
chrisguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2007, 07:21 AM   #103
KurtsReef
Premium Member

I appreciate the sentiments. Found the male Scotts dead this morning with the remaining Female Scotts not looking too good. I expect she will be dead by the time I get home from a gathering tonight.

All the other fish in the tank look great this morning, except the radiant wrasse which looks a bit lethargic compared too normal however it was very early and the lights had been out all day.

Both Mandrins are doing well in the other tank.

KurtsReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2007, 07:53 AM   #104
KurtsReef
Premium Member

Correction to the death toll. What I thought was an exquisite wrasse last night must have been the other female scotts....teh exquisite and radiant are my two remaining wrasses

Unread 09/03/2007, 12:43 PM   #105
KurtsReef
Premium Member

The exquisite ended up dying a few hours after I made the above correction.

Down to one wrasse, the radiant still looks good.

Hopefully the deaths have ended. I did order some "No sick fish" medicine, hopefully it will arrive soon and nurse the rest back to perfect health as well as get rid of any ICH remaining.

Unread 09/03/2007, 12:48 PM   #106
KurtsReef
Premium Member

Well, to get off the subject of dead fish in this thread I did some maintenance this morning cleaning up the skimmer and getting rid of some general garbage laying around the cellar from the build.

The thich sledge that was in the skimmer was unlike anything I ever got out of my old red sea prism. It almost had an oily muck consistency. I pulled off the head and cleaned inside the main chamber as well as it was dirty as well with film of crud.

Perhaps I should run it a bit "wetter"

I have continually been checking water parameters on the tank and everything runs very stable. I had issues with ALK/Ca as in low readings, very low in fact a week or two ago so I started to add more two part. I now add about a cup of each part per day and I still seem to stay right around an ALK reading of 2.0 and Ca reading of 320ppm neither of which are optimal. If I add more of the two part solution it seems to precipitate onto items in the tank.

I really need to get the Ca reactor up and running.

Unread 09/03/2007, 01:04 PM   #107
rjrobert
Premium Member

What about using the "powder" calcium and alkilinity of your choice to raise the levels and simply using 2 part to maintain?

rjrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2007, 07:32 PM   #108
redrider911
Registered Member

I seen this awesome set up to day when KurtsReef donated some cheato to me. Those lights are incredible. I really like to check out the equipment and set up on these big tanks. It's just beyond what words can describe how everything is set up. The skimmer would have a hard time fitting into my display tank!!! And here I thought my 90 gal was big.

Everyone with these really incredible set ups need a huge pat on the back for all the effort, research (and $$$) dished out for this hobby.

Oh and the significant other probably earned a vacation somewhere warm this winter

Current Tank Info: 28gal oceanic biocube blank canvas
redrider911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2007, 08:12 PM   #109
fisheebill
Premium Member

Love the setup.
Sorry about your fish, hope the meds work.

fisheebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2007, 08:46 PM   #110
SkiFletch
Registered Member

In regards to the two-part issues you're having kurt, are you using Randy Holmes-Farley's recepie? And are you pouring the two parts into the same chamber?

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon reef
SkiFletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2007, 09:12 PM   #111
KurtsReef
Premium Member

I am using BiOnic's two part. I am pouring the Part 1 into the sump and after all the cloudiness is gone then the part II.

With todays dose I changed it up a bit and put the Alk (pt 1) into an old salt bucket and mixed some RO water with it too get it 'stirred up more' and then added the Ca about 10 minutes later.

Unread 09/03/2007, 09:14 PM   #112
KurtsReef
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by redrider911

Oh and the significant other probably earned a vacation somewhere warm this winter
She ordered some new bedroom furniture for my daughters yesterday, no vacation coming.

Unread 09/03/2007, 09:20 PM   #113
bradleyj
Reefkeeping Mag Staff

I've only read this page, so this question may have already been asked, Have you checked your magnesium? I know when I was struggleing with my low alk/ca, my mag was down in the 1000-1100 range. Once I got that back up to the 1400 range it was easy to maintain higher alk/ ca levels. One other thing that I couldn't beleive was that my salinity level was low. ( That's alot of bionics to be useing every day.)

Current Tank Info: 335g Leemar
bradleyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2007, 10:22 PM   #114
Be1withthereef
Registered Member

I use Seachem reef advantage calcium & reef builder to balance levels when needed and use Randy's 2 part solution to maintain. The inability to keep these levels up may be linked to something else out of whack. 1 cup of Bionic per day is not too bad for a heavily stocked 220 tank. Playfair used over 100Ml/day(~1/2cup) in his stocked 120 before adding a reactor.

Current Tank Info: 44 gal Pent - softy reef. 75gal mixed, 2-175W Hamilton 14k MH with 2-40W Actinic and 110W 50/50 VHO, ASM G3 skimmer, Berlin sump w/ mag 7 return, RDSB, Tsunami wavemaker with 2-MJ1200's, 1 Seio 1100's, Randy's 2 part solution
Be1withthereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2007, 05:31 AM   #115
KurtsReef
Premium Member

Thanks for the input. Bradley you may have hit on part of the original issue. I was not testing for Mag levels before the probem with Ca and ALK arose and found after buying a kit my levels were low. I have since gotten them up to above 1350, before this my Ca was in the acceptable range and my ALK was very low.

The 'precipitation' problems were before getting the Mg up to standard levels, so I could perhaps give the tank a larger measured dose of the two part too get me up too levels and eventually find the right amount to maintain.

My 1 cup measurement here is an approximate as it is not a measuring cup being used. I went from the little cup that came with the two part solution too a larger plastic cup that I think is actually from my brine shrimp hatching kit which I am guessing is 1/2 a cup, will measure it today too see what the actual volume is.

If I get the Ca reactor up and running that will help out with the maintaining of levels.

Unread 09/04/2007, 10:09 AM   #116
rjrobert
Premium Member

I say you just dump the whole 2 part bottles in and see what happens

rjrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2007, 07:26 PM   #117
KurtsReef
Premium Member

OK, the 'cup' I have been using is 18 teaspoons so 36 teaspoons per day or 3/4 cup of each part per day. My estimate was on the low side.

Today (morning) the readings were ALK 2.0, Mg 1250, Ca 300ppm, and PH was only 8.2

I added my normal 'cup' which we now know is actually 3/4 cup each dose and tested again this evening. Readings were ALK 2.1/2.2, Ca 330ppm, and PH had risen to 8.4 or 8.6. I find both the ALK and PH readings a bit difficult to differentiate between the very close numbers so those readings have an error factor of about +-.2

I added a second dose after the evening readings, including a bit of Mg to get that up some but have not tested the numbers yet...and that finished off the gallons of Bionic I had so I need to 'make' the 4 gal buckets by adding RO water too them. Will do that tomorrow and dose at least the double in the morning after taking readings and re-test in the evening. I know there is a difference in readings between morning and night due to the lighting.

Unread 09/04/2007, 07:41 PM   #118
acdraindrps
Registered Member

Kurt,

Were you blindly dosing copper, or were you testing before you dosed? IME its relatively easy to OD copper.

Chris

acdraindrps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2007, 09:31 PM   #119
KurtsReef
Premium Member

I was dosing per the instructions, which I actually dosed less than they suggested. The copper dosage was per 4 gal of water and I dosed for 40g instead of for 45g of water.

When the fish seemed too start stressing from the copper I immediately began to do water changes to remove the medicine. That night in fact I changed 10g, then the next day performed a 20, 10, 20, 20, day after that another three 10g changes.

I have not tested for the copper, do not have a copper testing kit. Would assume that by now all if not most of the copper is out. I also started to run carbon the day after putting the medicine in.

$450-500.00 lesson learned. (Lessen one, QT for two to three weeks and not 3 days. Lesson two, dont treat copper to wrasses)

Unread 09/05/2007, 04:30 AM   #120
fisheebill
Premium Member

Poly-Filters pull out copper

fisheebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2007, 04:45 AM   #121
woodycb
Registered Member

I have used the No Sick Fish ich remedy before. It worked for me but i seemed like it took a while for it to actually start working. The LFS's swear by the stuff aroung here. Good luck.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon
woodycb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2007, 10:50 AM   #122
KurtsReef
Premium Member

I have some unused polyfilter I will throw in today (into the filter thats on the tank) the "No Sick Fish" treatment is due here Friday and will start administering it too all three tanks.

Good too hear some first hand experience with the stuff Woody, thanks.

Unread 09/05/2007, 11:29 AM   #123
KurtsReef
Premium Member

Here is the shot of my bubble tip that was thought to be dead for about 6 months before being found under a rock about the size of a quarter fully expanded in April or May. It has steadily grown and for the first time ever shows signs of both color and actual bubbled tips. It may be the 'better' lighting it is now getting or even better water conditions, but its a welcome change.

The green is actually more than what appears in this shot, there are 'veins' of green spreading down into the mouth of the anemone.

Unread 09/06/2007, 08:07 AM   #124
KurtsReef
Premium Member

Lets see if I can remember this from yesterday...

I tested ALK/Ca/Mg in the morning with readings of 2.0, 300ppm, and 1350. I also tested the PH which was good but do not remember the exact reading.

I mixed the new 4 gal buckets of Bionic 2 part with RO water early in the morning and around noon put in 2 cups of each part.

Tested the ALK again around 4pm and it was 2.4 or near there.

Picked up some Kent Super Buffer KH (Will have to double check the name on it) and put about 3/4 a cup of that into some RO water mixed it and dumped it into the sump.

This morning the ALK reading was around 3.0

I plan on testing all parameters again around noon today.

I also changed the media in the phosban reactor yesterday. I added the same amount of PHOSBAN and also some carbon.

Unread 09/07/2007, 06:11 PM   #125
KurtsReef
Premium Member

A little over a month up and running and the coraline is beginning to grow on the overflows and other fittings.

The ALK/PH/Ca have been held higher the past couple days, the Ca could still go up a bit more its been holding at 360.

Clams and SPS must take up a lot more calcium than soft corals do. a whole lot more.