Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/19/2019, 04:27 PM   #1
NaClH2ODave
Registered Member

Help with Increasing Alk and Cal

With a light to moderately stocked 105 gallon DT, a lot of LPS, a few SPS and minimal coralline algae, I'm still dosing 150ml/day of ESV 2-part. This barely keeps alk at 7.7 and calcium at 375.

Magnesium is 1425 and pH is at 8.1, so I'm not sure why it takes so much. Even ESV recommends a max of 1ml/gal/day of each. Dosing any less, and the numbers start dropping. I don't see signs of precipitation, just a minor buildup at the water line.

These numbers are with Hanna and Salifert test kits. Any ideas?

NaClH2ODave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2019, 09:43 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

Hmm, the minimal coralline is confusing. In my experience, that dosage level is reasonable for a tank with good coralline growth, even without any stony corals. How new is the tank? Sometimes, new sandbeds or live rock will act as nucleation sites, encouraging precipitation of calcium carbonate.

Unread 07/20/2019, 08:35 AM   #3
NaClH2ODave
Registered Member

Both rock and sand bed are over 1-1/2 years old.

I'm wondering if trying a different 2 part such as BRS would be worth a try.

NaClH2ODave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2019, 06:50 PM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClH2ODave View Post
With a light to moderately stocked 105 gallon DT, a lot of LPS, a few SPS and minimal coralline algae, I'm still dosing 150ml/day of ESV 2-part. This barely keeps alk at 7.7 and calcium at 375.

Magnesium is 1425 and pH is at 8.1, so I'm not sure why it takes so much. Even ESV recommends a max of 1ml/gal/day of each. Dosing any less, and the numbers start dropping. I don't see signs of precipitation, just a minor buildup at the water line.

These numbers are with Hanna and Salifert test kits. Any ideas?
To me that seems a lot, I am half your size, but heavy stocked and I only use 10ml per day to stay at 9.5.

I use Seacem 1&2, maybe it's more concentrated than yours.
If your confident in your MG level I agree, would try another like you suggested.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2019, 09:52 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

You could try the lower-pH formula, based on baking soda straight from the box. I'd just mix up a small amount and try it for a few days. A saturated solution should be something like half the strength of the standard formula.

Unread 07/21/2019, 02:13 PM   #6
hkgar
Registered Member

According to http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html I would need to dose 956 ml (of EVS B-Ionic Bicarbonate) to maintain my dKH. My 125 gallon system (180 tank + 20 g sump) use 4.0 dKh per day.

You my try using Randy's 2 part.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2019, 06:51 PM   #7
rocklobster1
Registered Member

Dose heavier and maybe get some carbonate for the additional pH boost.

rocklobster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2019, 12:46 PM   #8
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Check your heaters and pump impellers for precipitation build up. Also, dig around in your sand to make sure there isn't chunks forming.

Sounds to me like you are precipitating somewhere.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2019, 01:06 PM   #9
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
To me that seems a lot, I am half your size, but heavy stocked and I only use 10ml per day to stay at 9.5.

I use Seacem 1&2, maybe it's more concentrated than yours.
If your confident in your MG level I agree, would try another like you suggested.
If you put in a .5 dKH increase (current alk 7.5, desired alk 8.0) and a 105 G water volume to this calculator, it returns 101.3ml EVS and 18.7ml Seachem.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2019, 02:05 PM   #10
rocklobster1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Check your heaters and pump impellers for precipitation build up. Also, dig around in your sand to make sure there isn't chunks forming.

Sounds to me like you are precipitating somewhere.
How can it precipitate if the levels are so low?

rocklobster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2019, 04:25 PM   #11
saphosbro
Registered Member

Not that this is your issue but when I started with two part. First dosing both the calc and all at the same time and it all perching out then I had a lot is issues over dosing. I know i should have read more befogging jumping in but it was years ago before the internet is what it is today... As for my over dosing the more i does the more the levels would drop. I got the levels right manually, waited a few days and measured how much it dropped and then called the dose to bring it back up and this was my new does divided by the days I waited. I actually went a little under this amount and have not had an issue since other than some small adjustments as coral grows and consume more.

saphosbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2019, 06:29 PM   #12
bertoni
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklobster1 View Post
How can it precipitate if the levels are so low?
The two-parts are concentrated and high in pH. Both factors encourage precipitation, especially if a two-part is dosed into a small volume of water. The average level in the tank can be quite low, but local conditions will vary until the supplement mixes thoroughly. Also, some surfaces, like freshly exposure calcium carbonate, can encourage precipitation by providing nucleation sites.

Unread 07/23/2019, 09:38 AM   #13
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
If you put in a .5 dKH increase (current alk 7.5, desired alk 8.0) and a 105 G water volume to this calculator, it returns 101.3ml EVS and 18.7ml Seachem.
Thank you, so it’s true that each manufacture creates different concentrations of their product, just didn’t think the concentrations flux we’re so large, but now I know!

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote