Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/23/2019, 10:27 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

Blue tang killing my fish?

Hi,

I have fish mysteriously disappearing. My joculator angel and orange spot blenny both gone about the same time frame. I actually didn't know they were gone until several days later. I realized about 10 days later the blenny wasn't there. But last I saw either they both looked 100% healthy (and eating well).

I have a blue throat trigger in the tank as well as a blue hippo. Three bartlett anthias, a small orchid dottyback, yellow tail blue damsel, two true perculas. It's a 110 gallon (short 125) 4 foot by 2 feet. The blue hippo is growing very fast, but doesnt seem to outgrow the tank (yet). I know it's coming at rate he's growing. The trigger has shown some short term agression, but very very rare. The hippo and him I believe have had spats. And he was 'hibernating' for a day and a half, hiding in the rocks, I thought he was disappeared (dead) also. When I got him out of the rocks, he was almost sleep walking and ended up getting stung badly by my elegance, so now he's recovering from that (I dont think he'll make it) << side story, but the blue tang may have intilally casued him to go into hiding (????).

The anthias and the perculas stay away from anyone, mind their own business. As well as the orchid. The others in question all intermingled with each other to some extent more than the ones that tend to themselves. And the one of the group not affected is the one with razor on the tail. So I'm thinking it's the tang, OR my hermits (?????). OR maybe one of my gigantic Mexican Turbo Grazers (farfetched, but I have a few gigantic ones lol).

This disappearance I THINK also seemed to happen after I stirred the sand up (I have VERY LITTLE, maybe 2 lb worth just for my melanarus (I left that one out of my list above) wrasse to bury in. That and I blew off sediment and detritus from the rocks before a water change a week ago. But I think the fish maybe have been gone before that. And I have done that 'clean up' before no issues.

ONE LAST THING. My nitrates were about 30.. though I seem to be getting them down to under 20 now, with slow continued decline.

So it's the blue tang?

Mystery

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2019, 12:34 PM   #2
mcbaes72
-Aidan's Daddy.

Any updates? Did you find the missing fish? Did the Trigger survive?

My guess is that it's possible the Hippo Tang would be aggressive, but unlikely the cause for the angel and blenny disappearance. Maybe check behind corals, live rock, sump, etc.

mcbaes72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2019, 07:13 PM   #3
moondoggy4
Registered Member

My Orange Spot Bleeny ended up being a jumper, so maybe check for that.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote