Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/18/2018, 11:21 AM   #1
alemone
Registered Member

UV light longevity

My ultralife 40w sterilizer's light burnt out twice after using it somewhere between 500-1000h total each time. This is not supposed to be a throw-away sterilizer. What is the average life expectancy of a UV lamp?
Is anybody aware of any generic replacement bulbs? I can't keep getting replacements for $60 every 2-3 months.

alemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 11:35 AM   #2
Dmoody
Artillery Drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemone View Post
My ultralife 40w sterilizer's light burnt out twice after using it somewhere between 500-1000h total each time. This is not supposed to be a throw-away sterilizer. What is the average life expectancy of a UV lamp?

Is anybody aware of any generic replacement bulbs? I can't keep getting replacements for $60 every 2-3 months.

Is the unit defective in any way. Most brands recommend a bulb change once a year but they can usually last longer than a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuvo 38: Radion GEN 3 w/ Reeflink, MP10w ES, Tunze 9004, Tunze 3152, InTank media basket, Eheim 2000+, Custom stand
Dmoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 11:38 AM   #3
alemone
Registered Member

Not that I know of. After the first failure, it was inspected by the distributor.

Unread 03/18/2018, 12:57 PM   #4
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

The bulbs should last a year before needing replaced.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 07:13 PM   #5
alemone
Registered Member

After disassembling the unit, it became apparent that it had leaked and fried the whole electrical compartment.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1325.jpg (33.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1327.jpg (34.8 KB, 46 views)
Unread 03/21/2018, 08:26 AM   #6
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Take it back to the distributor.

Unread 03/21/2018, 09:34 AM   #7
Dmoody
Artillery Drill

Quote:
After disassembling the unit, it became apparent that it had leaked and fried the whole electrical compartment.

I figured there had to be something going on glad you figured it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuvo 38: Radion GEN 3 w/ Reeflink, MP10w ES, Tunze 9004, Tunze 3152, InTank media basket, Eheim 2000+, Custom stand
Dmoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 09:50 AM   #8
alemone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Take it back to the distributor.
Unfortunately, they are ignoring my emails. I poured $300 into this. Lesson learnt.

Unread 03/21/2018, 11:31 AM   #9
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
The old adage, you get what you pay for comes to mind. Hopefully the distributor or dealer or manufacturer will stand behind the product because that could have been catastrophic.

Having run and installed countless AquaUV's for over a decade, I've never had one that leaked and the bulbs have always lasted over a year. I make it a point to replace my bulbs on an annual basis.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 11:34 AM   #10
alemone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
The old adage, you get what you pay for comes to mind. Hopefully the distributor or dealer or manufacturer will stand behind the product because that could have been catastrophic.

Having run and installed countless AquaUV's for over a decade, I've never had one that leaked and the bulbs have always lasted over a year. I make it a point to replace my bulbs on an annual basis.
You are right but I didn't believe I was buying a cheap product.

Unread 03/21/2018, 12:26 PM   #11
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
You are right but I didn't believe I was buying a cheap product.
A 40 watt UV sterilizer that retails for around $210 is a cheap UV relatively speaking. Yea, there are cheaper ones but there are also others that are much better made and come at a price. Looking at the reviews on Marine Depot's website where 3 out of 10 reviews where not good is a bit concerning and if you read some of the other reviews where it's noted that you need to use teflon tape to seal the unit, that is a big concern. The AquaUV's use a big bullet shaped rubber seal that insure the crystal sleeve is sealed and will never leak. There is no need for Teflon tape to seal the units. The ballasts on the AquaUV's are very solid and well designed also where is another complaint about the Ultralife units along with very poor bulb longevity which is likely due in part to cheap bulbs and a poorly design ballast.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 03/21/2018, 12:37 PM   #12
alemone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
A 40 watt UV sterilizer that retails for around $210 is a cheap UV relatively speaking. Yea, there are cheaper ones but there are also others that are much better made and come at a price. Looking at the reviews on Marine Depot's website where 3 out of 10 reviews where not good is a bit concerning and if you read some of the other reviews where it's noted that you need to use teflon tape to seal the unit, that is a big concern. The AquaUV's use a big bullet shaped rubber seal that insure the crystal sleeve is sealed and will never leak. There is no need for Teflon tape to seal the units. The ballasts on the AquaUV's are very solid and well designed also where is another complaint about the Ultralife units along with very poor bulb longevity which is likely due in part to cheap bulbs and a poorly design ballast.

I just have always been baffled by the price of these relatively simple devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Unread 03/21/2018, 12:52 PM   #13
Joe0813
Registered Member

I replaced my bulb once a year

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 03:52 PM   #14
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I just have always been baffled by the price of these relatively simple devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Well, you have a bulb. The good bulbs aren’t cheap and there is a big difference between a quality bulb and a cheap one. Not only in terms of longevity but also wavelength and the degradation over time. Good quality bulbs like those from AquaUV will hold their wavelength much longer and thus remain more effective over the course of time. You have a crystal sleeve in most of them and not all crystal sleeves are created equal. Then you have the ballast and again, you have cheap ballasts and good quality ones and the quality of the ballast not only means the ballast will last longer but it also impacts the bulb life. Then there is the body, seals, fittings etc. You have already seen the effects of a poorly design unit with poor quality sealing methods. Danger Will Robinson.

Manufacturers need to make money as does the distribution channel. All of which is reflected in the retail price. Now considering you have a 180 gallon display, you could have gone with a 25w AquaUV Classic and that unit woudn’t have costed much more than the one you got. The AquaUV would have been more effective compared to your 40w one, would have handled greater flow and most importantly would have had MUCH longer bulb life. Further, it would NOT have leaked like that and put you in a spot that could have caused a fire and bodily harm to you and your family.

Unread 03/21/2018, 07:56 PM   #15
alemone
Registered Member

I did some research. I expected to get a reasonable-quality product. Not necessarily the best but not the cheapest no-name sterilizer either. Maybe I was unlucky. The silence of CS, however, has been disappointing.

Unread 03/22/2018, 07:45 PM   #16
alemone
Registered Member

Any other reasonable choices besides AquaUV?

Unread 03/22/2018, 10:26 PM   #17
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Like Slief, I also used Aqua Ultraviolet UV's for many years. I believe many people who do this for a living use them.

They can be tricky when it comes to putting in the UV - you have to do it just right or you'll break the glass sleeve. I used to go to hobbyist's homes and show them how to do it.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 04:08 AM   #18
alemone
Registered Member

Just out of curiosity, anybody has any experience with Jebao Koi pond sterilizers- link. Reviews look pretty good.

Unread 03/23/2018, 09:27 AM   #19
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, anybody has any experience with Jebao Koi pond sterilizers- link. Reviews look pretty good.
They are garbage and the title (pond sterilizer) says it all. We don't have green water. We have marine aquariums and for UV to be beneficial beyond just an improvement in water clarity, a quality UV sterilizer is needed and there is nothing about that unit that is quality. And those who do or have run them most certainly have never run a high quality sterilizer to even be able to quantify the differences. If you are going to run a UV, spend the extra money upfront as it will save you in the long run and also provide infinitely better results. My AquaUV has a 100 point impact on my ORP. That is a huge different in water quality and ultimately has a greater impact that ozone did on my system. A quality, properly sized and properly setup UV does so much more than just improve water clarity but if you buy a cheap unit with lousy bulbs and lousy ballasts coupled with a poor design, the benefits will be negligible and you will spend more in the long run replacing bulbs and ballasts assuming the UV doesn't have a catastrophic failure. Don't waste you money on one of those!

Last edited by slief; 03/23/2018 at 09:34 AM.
Unread 03/23/2018, 02:04 PM   #20
Timfish
Registered Member

+1 What works for a green water in a pond is no where close to what's needed to deal with parasites in a reef system.

Unread 03/23/2018, 05:31 PM   #21
alemone
Registered Member

OK. Appreciate the advice!

Unread 03/28/2018, 01:14 PM   #22
Fraq
Registered Member

They generally recommend changing the bulb once a year. I have the pentair 45W and it's a beast. I would recommend that brand for sure.

Fraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2018, 05:17 PM   #23
NO3
In Memoriam

Call LSE Lighting .... If they dont have it nor cant find it, it diesnt exist

888-975-2852

NO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2018, 07:25 PM   #24
nezw0001
Registered Member

I love my AquaUV unit. it has been solid for many years and I only replace the bulb annually.

Current Tank Info: 450g see thru tank, MH lighting, 180 basement sump, Apex controller, Lifereef skimmer, 30g QT tank
nezw0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2018, 07:28 PM   #25
alemone
Registered Member

Ultralife contacted me after all asking me to send the sterilizer in. We'll see what happens. At this point, my issue is not just getting a new bulb.

Tags
sterilizer, ultralife, uv sterilizer