Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/17/2018, 08:14 PM   #1
nycman
Registered Member

Trouble cycling quarantine tank

I set up an IM Nuvo 20 (gallon) tank two months ago, filled with Red Sea salt mixed RO/DI water, been doing weekly water changes and RO/DI ATO. I put three large dry pukani rocks from BRS in it, some live sand, and began the Red Sea biological filtration liquid dosing (for starting a reef tank).

I put 2 damsels in the tank to help it cycle as well.

Since then, testing weekly, my ammonia has always been elevated (.25ppm to .50ppm). My nitrates have been zero, and my Nitrates elevated to .30ppm or higher, sometimes much higher.

I have started many saltwater tanks over last 20 years, almost always with store bought live rock and have never really experienced a real cycle with elevated measurements of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Today both damsels died so I tested ammonia - 0.50ppm (same range), nitrate (>100 ppm), but nitrites were 2 to 5 ppm (off the charts). This after two months of liquid bacterial dosing and having fish in the tank living and being fed, with dry reef rock.

How can this be after two full months of having fish in a tank with liverock?

Aqua UV 28W
nycman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2018, 09:03 PM   #2
Anotherplanet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycman View Post
I set up an IM Nuvo 20 (gallon) tank two months ago, filled with Red Sea salt mixed RO/DI water, been doing weekly water changes and RO/DI ATO. I put three large dry pukani rocks from BRS in it, some live sand, and began the Red Sea biological filtration liquid dosing (for starting a reef tank).

I put 2 damsels in the tank to help it cycle as well.

Since then, testing weekly, my ammonia has always been elevated (.25ppm to .50ppm). My nitrates have been zero, and my Nitrates elevated to .30ppm or higher, sometimes much higher.

I have started many saltwater tanks over last 20 years, almost always with store bought live rock and have never really experienced a real cycle with elevated measurements of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Today both damsels died so I tested ammonia - 0.50ppm (same range), nitrate (>100 ppm), but nitrites were 2 to 5 ppm (off the charts). This after two months of liquid bacterial dosing and having fish in the tank living and being fed, with dry reef rock.

How can this be after two full months of having fish in a tank with liverock?

I’m not a fan of the “kill fish” approach. I will happily give you instructions on how to properly cycle your tank. If you follow these steps, you will have success.

1) don’t do any more water changes.
2) buy dr. Tim’s reef bacteria and dose.
3) you can increase the water temp to assist in acceleration of bacteria growth.
3) let the tank run this way for a week.
4) Then purchase Dr. Tim’s Ammonia Chloride and dose following the instruction.
5) then test the water every 24 hours.
6) once the water reaches 0 ammonia, then dose ammonia again, and test at 12 hours and then 24 hours. If your ammonia is 0 again, then your rock has cycled.
7) another dose of ammonia and another test wouldn’t hurt.
9) now you can slowly begin adding fish. Remember to only add 1-2 at a time. Your tank needs to adjust to the bio-load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anotherplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2018, 09:07 PM   #3
Anotherplanet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anotherplanet View Post
I’m not a fan of the “kill fish” approach. I will happily give you instructions on how to properly cycle your tank. If you follow these steps, you will have success.

1) don’t do any more water changes.
2) buy dr. Tim’s reef bacteria and dose.
3) you can increase the water temp to assist in acceleration of bacteria growth.
3) let the tank run this way for a week.
4) Then purchase Dr. Tim’s Ammonia Chloride and dose following the instruction.
5) then test the water every 24 hours.
6) once the water reaches 0 ammonia, then dose ammonia again, and test at 12 hours and then 24 hours. If your ammonia is 0 again, then your rock has cycled.
7) another dose of ammonia and another test wouldn’t hurt.
9) now you can slowly begin adding fish. Remember to only add 1-2 at a time. Your tank needs to adjust to the bio-load.

If you follow these steps with patients. Follow the bacteria and ammonia chloride dosing & testing instructions And add fish slowly. Then I can guarantee you will have success. Just don’t start adding coral until your tank has established. You may experience an algae bloom. Keep testing your phosphates and once you feel that you have a grasp on your water parameters and control them. Then head in over to Lazy’s Frag House and start with a single coral and go from there....do it all slow and you will have success!

Anotherplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2018, 09:31 PM   #4
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Yeah first off dont do water changes during the cycle. MB7 and Bio Spira has always worked for me to boost bacteria when cyxling a new tank. I have never used Tim's but hear good things from other members.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 01:17 AM   #5
Tastee
Registered Member

When I setup my QT I seeded it with some dead rock I had left in my sump for a few weeks and then put some of the new ceramic noodles from it into my sump for 2 weeks before returning them to the QT. I also added some DT water to the new salt mix and phantom fed every 3 or 4 days, as well as adding bacteria twice a week or so. I tested every day or two to ensure I saw a cycle start, which it did. From then on I only added bacteria at a water change and for the one I did 2 days ago didn’t even bother. The first fish went in about week 4 and 5 fish have been through it since then. Ammonia only ever went to 0.25, Nitrites stayed zero and Nitrates rose a little but were dealt with by the water changes as fish went in and out.

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 07:28 PM   #6
swhobbie1
Registered Member

Agree with AnotherPlanet... I recently cycled a tank by dropping 2-3 pellets in it daily, no water changes, no skimmer, just time. Was taking longer than I wanted so I bought some Fritz Zyme TurboStart 900 which I never used before. It was close to ending it cycle I think but next day after this stuff it was done cycling.

swhobbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 08:59 PM   #7
nycman
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback. Ordered the Dr Jim's from BRS. Also, forgot to mention that I have been skimming since the beginning, using that quasi effective IM nano skimmer that fits in the Nuvos. Has to be the world's smallest skimmer. I have read mixed views on whether one should skim during the cycle.

Aqua UV 28W
nycman is offline   Reply With Quote