Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/19/2018, 06:45 PM   #1
SaltwtrNewby
Registered Member

6ft 240g Stand w/our Center Brace?

Hello RC Family,

I’m seeking your advice and opinions on the plausibility of building a stand for my new tank. My goal is to construct one without the need for a center brace or at least one that is not centered at 36”. I’ve got a beautiful Synergy Reef CL-44 sump that’s 44” long and i’d Like to be able to take it in and out from the front. The tank dimensions are 72” long x 24” wide x 31” tall. I’ve looked at numerous DIY plans with my favorite being the ones by the King of DIY. If I go with 2x8’s as the frame/supports do you think this type of build is possible. I greatly appreciate everyone’s input and opinion. I’ve attached the link to the build video from the King of DIY for reference if needed.

https://youtu.be/wPMn0xXjZF4

Current Tank Info: 26 Gallon Bowfront Reef Tank with a 20 gallon sump with refugium
SaltwtrNewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 07:58 AM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

IMHO, 2 x 6's is plenty. Doubled up 2x4's would probably be fine too. If it will make you sleep better, then use the 2x8's. 99.9% of stands built using dimensional lumber are overbuilt (assuming proper technique)

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 09:11 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
99.9% of stands built using dimensional lumber are overbuilt (assuming proper technique)
WAY overbuilt

Unread 01/21/2018, 09:34 AM   #4
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

I built a stand for a 220g I had years ago and overbuilt it with 2x6s that didn't have a center brace. You will be fine

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 10:48 AM   #5
drtrash
Registered Member

Why not error on the safe side and make a removable center brace

drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 06:36 PM   #6
SaltwtrNewby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
I built a stand for a 220g I had years ago and overbuilt it with 2x6s that didn't have a center brace. You will be fine
That's great to hear.A couple of follow up questions...Did you have any center braces on the rear of the tank? Did you use any particular build template or design that's available online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtrash View Post
Why not error on the safe side and make a removable center brace
I never understood the concept of a removable center brace. Would I just cut a piece of wood that fits snuggly in between the upper and lower support and have it there in case things start to give way? I don't see securing it with anything, otherwise it wouldn't really be "removable"...

Current Tank Info: 26 Gallon Bowfront Reef Tank with a 20 gallon sump with refugium
Unread 01/21/2018, 07:02 PM   #7
drtrash
Registered Member

1 piece that fits snug and another piece behind it that’s longer put screw in top and bottom remove screw and pop jut support

Unread 01/22/2018, 06:36 PM   #8
SaltwtrNewby
Registered Member

Quote:
1 piece that fits snug and another piece behind it that’s longer put screw in top and bottom remove screw and pop jut support
That’s a thought. At that point I might just put one permanently in though. Positioning it so it sits in front of a divider of the sump so that it won’t really get in my way. I’m definitely going with 2x6’s though. I’m also thinking of building it so it’s 40” high. I know this is a little taller than most. Anyone see a problem with it being that tall aside from needing a taller step ladder for access? I thought I would have tons of room underneath the stand, then I drew out a sketch last night and realized my sump and ATO are going to be taking up 75% of the space. I need to get creative with space efficiency for the my gfo/carbon reactor, UV sterilizer, and manifold.

Unread 01/22/2018, 07:24 PM   #9
drtrash
Registered Member

Going to build add a dry compartment for electronics

Unread 01/22/2018, 09:40 PM   #10
SaltwtrNewby
Registered Member

Quote:
Going to build add a dry compartment for electronics
I’ve been researching the heck out of build threads to get ideas. ReeferGil on YouTube has a build series that is crazy good. I think I’m going to model my manifold setup after his. He used a separate cabinet for the electronics which I’m not able to do. I’m planning on utilizing the right end of the stand for the electronics as the outlet is right there. Then possibly having a side door that opens up giving access to all of the controllers set up neatly on a sheet of wood.

Unread 01/23/2018, 09:31 AM   #11
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

No brace in the front or the back. I used a template I got off of this forum under this section. You could search and find it pretty easily. I also built my stand at 46" high I believe it was so I wouldn't have to bend over constantly to look at the tank. I also built a "bar/walking ledge" on the front for easy access and a place to hold my beer. There is a picture under my profile you can see for reference.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Unread 01/23/2018, 10:10 AM   #12
ratherbeflyen
Registered Member

My 6' 220 (24" x 30" x 72") I built a stand from 6" aluminum channel with no center brace. The 48" 75 gallon sump easily slips in from from the front. Now I just need some help moving it in the house.

[IMG]IMG_20171119_155626 IMG_20180105_164850
image processing service
[/IMG][IMG]IMG_20180106_173517
img safe
[/IMG]

ratherbeflyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2018, 04:53 PM   #13
SaltwtrNewby
Registered Member

Quote:
No brace in the front or the back. I used a template I got off of this forum under this section. You could search and find it pretty easily. I also built my stand at 46" high I believe it was so I wouldn't have to bend over constantly to look at the tank. I also built a "bar/walking ledge" on the front for easy access and a place to hold my beer. There is a picture under my profile you can see for reference.
What were the dimensions of the tank for this stand?

Unread 01/24/2018, 04:54 PM   #14
SaltwtrNewby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbeflyen View Post
My 6' 220 (24" x 30" x 72") I built a stand from 6" aluminum channel with no center brace. The 48" 75 gallon sump easily slips in from from the front. Now I just need some help moving it in the house.

[IMG]IMG_20171119_155626 IMG_20180105_164850
image processing service
[/IMG][IMG]IMG_20180106_173517
img safe
[/IMG]
If only I could weld...

Unread 01/25/2018, 07:30 AM   #15
McPuff
Registered Member

Check out the "360 gallon build" thread in Large Tanks forum. He made a stand out of cinder blocks and dimensional lumber. No center support. You can tell by looking at it that he'll have no issues.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 08:36 AM   #16
ratherbeflyen
Registered Member

My point was less about material and welding and more about not needing a center brace. Tanks don't have to be supported in the middle. In fact if the middle brace it too tall, it will break the tank.

ratherbeflyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 08:46 AM   #17
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwtrNewby View Post
What were the dimensions of the tank for this stand?
72"x24"x30"

Unread 01/26/2018, 07:22 PM   #18
SaltwtrNewby
Registered Member

Quote:
72"x24"x30"

Practically identical to what my new tank is, which is very reassuring. How long did you have your 240g up and running on that stand? I tried looking at your profile pic to get a reference but couldn’t find it. Maybe because I’m on my phone. Do you have any other photos you could share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 01/26/2018, 09:25 PM   #19
Lsufan
Registered Member

If U want the extra head room by using a 2 by 6 top frame instead of a 2 by 8, then u could always double up the 2 by 6 in the front & back if it makes u more comfortable.

U could also put a brace at each side of the door opening. So if u have a 72” stand & a 48” door opening, u would only have the 48” span without a brace. That way u can use a 2 by 6 top frame & not have to worry.

I agree that most stands are overbuilt, but the one thing u have to be careful with is sizing the top frame correctly.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2018, 02:58 PM   #20
SaltwtrNewby
Registered Member

Quote:

Here’s the stand so far. Still have to skin it and make it look pretty. No center brace as of now. Was your build design similar to mine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 03/18/2018, 06:32 AM   #21
rocsec1
Registered Member

Wow that is a tank of a stand. I would be a little concerned that the middle isn’t braced, but I would really worry about that amount of water if there was a failure. So I would add it but I am not an expert and it looks like it would be fine.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, new build, stand