Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/11/2018, 04:22 PM   #1
thax
Registered Member

moving 300dd

I about to buy a 300dd but my doorway is only 35in wide. Can I turn a tank this big on it side and carry it without it busting a seam?

Also anyone have some good advice for moving a large tank? biggest i moved before was a 180.

thax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 04:37 PM   #2
maddmaxx
Registered Member

sure you can. get errr done...

Current Tank Info: 40B Mixed reef
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 07:33 PM   #3
flfireman1
Wrasse aficionado

Yea that’s also the reason Marineland makes their stands for the DD tanks so low. In order to fit thru doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flfireman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 06:16 AM   #4
McPuff
Registered Member

Wear grippy gloves. You'll have to hold the glass itself and not a frame. The tank is over 500# empty so make sure you have 4 people. It's difficult going through doorways and really only 1 person can fit through at a time. Make sure each person is strong enough to support half the weight by themselves. This is the hardest part of moving those tanks... unless you're going up/down stairs. If that is the case, consider hiring some people to do it for you. Seriously.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 08:24 PM   #5
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Well if it was a flat transition I would get a couple furniture dollies and a piece of plywood 28" wide and just roll it through to the destination, it should still be resting on the trim then. Minimize the amount of time for people go be carrying the tank by only having the rotation to the dolly then lift plus rotation to the stand. But if you have to go up or down a flight of stairs... well all bets are off

Unread 03/15/2018, 03:49 AM   #6
flfireman1
Wrasse aficionado

Use those straps you see on As seen on TV. I bought mine at a Uhaul location. I was easily able to move my 250 DD using these. Like someone said previously you can only get one person thru the door at a time. I was able to do it with 3 guys. One on either end using the straps and the other as a look out to stabilize the Aquarium on the straps.

flfireman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 11:15 AM   #7
BZOFIQ
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman1 View Post
Use those straps you see on As seen on TV. I bought mine at a Uhaul location. I was easily able to move my 250 DD using these. Like someone said previously you can only get one person thru the door at a time. I was able to do it with 3 guys. One on either end using the straps and the other as a look out to stabilize the Aquarium on the straps.

What straps? can you please point me to an image.

I am planning an 800lb tank move down the stairs and am need of options.

BZOFIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 06:55 AM   #8
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoomer View Post
What straps? can you please point me to an image.

I am planning an 800lb tank move down the stairs and am need of options.
Are the stairs straight? You might consider some type of slide so you can let the tank do the work for you. Getting it to the stairs is then the hard part. Regardless, I suggest hiring a moving company to do it for you. They are insured so if the tank gets broken, at least you're covered. If you and some friends move it and break it, you're probably out of luck.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2018, 06:44 AM   #9
BZOFIQ
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Are the stairs straight? You might consider some type of slide so you can let the tank do the work for you. Getting it to the stairs is then the hard part. Regardless, I suggest hiring a moving company to do it for you. They are insured so if the tank gets broken, at least you're covered. If you and some friends move it and break it, you're probably out of luck.
No chance of a slide as the tank will not be coming straights onto stairs but from a turn. It has to be literally picked up brought inside at a turn and straight down the 6 steps. There can be no break once picked up until its downstairs, if that makes sense.

BZOFIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2018, 09:36 AM   #10
saf1
Registered Member

Regarding the straps - look for something along the lines of:

Shoulder Dolly
Shoulder moving straps
Shoulder moving straps 800 lb

Local box store like Home Depot or Lowes will have them, also on Amazon for sure. Basically they are used to move large pieces of furniture or other things without hurting your back and better leverage in general. They are pretty good if what you are trying to move can work within their constraints.

When I moved my 210 gallon glass tank from the garage to the final location in the house I ended up renting a mechanical lift for about 50 bucks from home depot. Then built a temporary stand using the shipping crate it came on with 4" castors then rolled it into the final location and slid it off. 54" W x 30" T x 30" D and it made it through ok.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote