Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Blue Zoo Aquatics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/01/2013, 02:13 PM   #1
Coralreefin
Registered Member

Do Not Buy Tangs or Wrasses from Them

I decided to try them out and had a disaster of dead fish... they do not warranty Tangs or Leopard Wrasse. Go to Liveaquaria with their 14 day warranty - learn from my mistake. Never order from Blue Zoo again!

Coralreefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2013, 02:27 PM   #2
BlueZooAquatics
RC Sponsor

Sorry you had a bad experience but we certainly do offer guarantees on Surgeonfish. In fact, all of our animals are guaranteed to arrive alive. Most animals are guaranteed beyond live arrival as well but there are some very sensitive fish that we only guarantee for live arrival. For the most part, these items are listed as being expert only and the restriction on the guarantee is posted on each product page.

Sorry again if you were not completely satisfied with your purchase. If there is anything else we can do to help, please let us know.

BlueZooAquatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2013, 02:37 PM   #3
Coralreefin
Registered Member

I have a Potter's Wrasse and a Brown Tang so I am very familiar with sensitive fish... I trade emails with your customer support as I was worried about ordering from you guys - and they tell a great story but I doubt it is true now. Sure the tang arrived alive it was beat up and mouth was all jagged and messed up... pretty sad you send stuff like that out.

Liveaquaria does put a warranty on their fish including leopard wrasses - I guess they are more confident of the quality of the fish. If I sent out what you did, I would definitely not have a DAA either especially if you are rushing to ship before they die at your facility. Incredibly disappointed.

Coralreefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2013, 03:08 PM   #4
BlueZooAquatics
RC Sponsor

Sir, we take the quality of our livestock extremely seriously. We crossed referenced your location with the animals you mentioned and think we figured out what the order was you were referring to. Looking at the account, you had a Gold Rim Tang and a Divided Leopard Wrasse which arrived alive but died a few days later. We are very sorry to hear that. You mentioned the tang was beat up but there is no evidence of that in the picture you sent.

We have every confidence in the world about the quality of our animals including leopard wrasses. The reason why they are not guaranteed beyond live arrival is because we cannot control the conditions they are being shipped into and they will not do well unless specific requirements are met. We do keep record of looses associated with every animal we sell, even the ones not guaranteed, and the leopard wrasses we sell still have less than 5% mortality which is outstanding.

Unlike other companies, we have complete control over the handling and packaging of our animals. Other companies may drop ship their animals from suppliers but we do not. Each and every animal that leaves our facility is looked after as if it was our own. Case in point, we just shipped off the two lightning patterned maroon clowns that sold recently on eBay. Here is what the customer had to say through his Facebook page:

"Have to give BIG kudos to Mark and the gang at Blue Zoo for one of the best packing jobs we've ever seen. Dave Zafrani and I opened a box to check before we left and just said "wow!" Also have to say Matt Pederson, these fish looked awesome in the pics but are stunning in person (and I really don't like maroons)."

So once again, we are very sorry your experience was not ideal but that is certainly not the norm. We try very hard to make sure that every animal we ship gets to its final destination in the best condition possible and will have a great chance of thriving with the right care. Even with that said, we are still dealing with living animals that do die from time to time. It is unfortunate but a part of the business and the hobby none the less.

Thank you for your time.

Unread 09/27/2013, 09:24 PM   #5
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

Bluezoo takes their live stock very very seriously. They package them and even include acclimation accessories to make sure they arrive alive in great condition. I never got anything but instructions from liveaquaria.. and dead animals.

Unread 09/30/2013, 01:09 PM   #6
BlueZooAquatics
RC Sponsor

Thank you for the comment. We do take our animals seriously and want more than anything else for them to thrive in their new homes.

Unread 10/01/2013, 11:38 AM   #7
sdmarriott1
Registered Member

I too have had good experience with Blue Zoo. Their livestock was well packaged with heat packs and the acclimation kit was an added bonus. Sorry your experience was not up to par.

sdmarriott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2013, 01:59 PM   #8
CHG107
Registered Member

I ordered from them a while back and was very happy with them as well. Sorry you didn't have a good experience

CHG107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2013, 09:08 PM   #9
Crimson
Registered Member

Confirmed on good quality. I have a Purple Mask Angel (Venustus) from them and is in QT since 9/14. So far almost a month and angel is doing very well. My only issue is that hes a shy fish, but healthy! Been doing a prazipro and cupermine treatment and the Angel seems to be okay with it. The cupermine treatment, I take it much slower than the directions and follow a 1/2 dose on day 1, and 1/2 dose 48hrs then keep adding until levels are correct and fish appears to be stress free.

The blue neon goby however, did not make it past day two. The poor small fry went to close and was stuck on the power head intake guard (lived but not for much longer). I bought a large fat neon goby from the LFS and is in qt with angel the day after the other neon passed.

Current Tank Info: 36x18x12 AIO Peninsula, T5's 2x Kessil a160we
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2013, 03:23 PM   #10
cvye
Reefer

Just ordered a kole tang from them, it was and is in great shape. No worries with them.

cvye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2013, 05:05 PM   #11
afishionado
Moved On

"Cannot control the environment/conditions they are shipped into" is a fitting quote, and one which I'm confident is the underlying issue here ...

In my vast, knowledgable experience, people like this, who blame solely the vendor/point of origin for their losses are the ones who don't take full responsibility for their livestock.

Therefore, they think of every excuse/cop out/blame redirect in the book to appease their own fault(s)/misinformation/lack of knowledge in the situation !

afishionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2013, 11:26 AM   #12
KJAhp098
Registered Member

+1 on a great order from BlueZoo in the past with acclimation instructions and kit.

Current Tank Info: Marineland 150DD
KJAhp098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2013, 11:43 AM   #13
triggreef
Registered Member

+ one on many great orders from bluezoo. I would say about 1/2 the fish on both my tanks came from them. The rest half/half from LA and R2G. I seldom buy fish from LFS just because what I get from these vendors are usually healthier than any I see at LFS.

In fact I have had several DOA's from LA and R2G but never from Bluezoo. They seem to have a bit better packaging than the others and the acclimation kit is a plus. Never received an ill looking or beat up fish from bluezoo.

I even had bloozoo cover a leopard wrasse that died overnight the first day. I still have the other that came with that one.

Unread 10/18/2013, 09:04 PM   #14
SantaMonica
Registered Member

If it helps, I've ordered from BZ several time (including tangs), and everying was good. But I'm only a few miles away, so obviously it was a quick overnight delivery.

SantaMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2013, 08:36 PM   #15
camaroboy8691
Registered Member

the only thing that sucks about BZ , is there in cali and im in PA the few orders i have had where top notch ! they will be getting alot of business in the future when i stcok my 550g

camaroboy8691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2013, 09:02 PM   #16
tonyda1st
Registered Member

Oh no. I just purchased a wrasse from them

tonyda1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2013, 01:51 PM   #17
Grayson84
Registered Member

Do not listen to anyone that bashes BZ there fish are great everything that i have ever got from them has been amazing! I am also in PA fish arrive in perfect shape well packed with heat pack and accliamtion packet. No worries from BZ

Grayson84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2013, 01:25 PM   #18
drukkosz
Registered Member

BZ is a great store. I have ordered from them many times and all the fish are beautiful and healthy.

drukkosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2013, 10:17 AM   #19
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson84 View Post
Do not listen to anyone that bashes BZ there fish are great everything that i have ever got from them has been amazing! I am also in PA fish arrive in perfect shape well packed with heat pack and accliamtion packet. No worries from BZ
+1 on being in PA and having several healthy arrivals

Unread 11/16/2013, 10:23 AM   #20
wii64brawl
Registered Member

Only DOA I ever had in three orders was a sexy shrimp. I had a flame scallop die overnight and they gave me credit even though he wasn't guaranteed past arrival. Also had a sun coral die after a few days, which they also credited right away. Great customer service, and you can't beat the free shipping over 140$.

wii64brawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2013, 08:31 PM   #21
owenspackman
Registered Member

My Moorish Idol came from BlueZoo. Happy, healthy, beautiful fish. Couldn't have asked for a better transaction.

owenspackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2013, 08:39 PM   #22
Denver_Keeper
Registered Member

I have not used Blue Zoo, but I have heard good things from local reefers. I am not defending them or saying the OP was right or wrong.

Now the OP states the fish arrived "beat up." If that is the case then I assume there should be a pic showing just how bad a condition the fish was in on arrival, but even that would not prove that the fish left BZs facility in that condition.

Sorry you had a bad experience, and I am very sorry that the fish did not make it. However, one story with nothing but hearsay would not change mu opinion of using them in the future.

Denver_Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2013, 04:38 AM   #23
traddon
Registered Member

Empathy and Sympathy

I'm sorry but i have to have sympathy for Coralreefin. i think my first online order for livestock was with bluezoo. i was very VERY nervous about buying marine animals online. when they came they were extremely well packed but they were beyond on the small size. i didnt order any wysiwyg so i guess i couldnt complain. its been sometime so i cant remember many details i just remembered i was extremely disappointed. not saying they are a bad company or writing you shouldnt buy such and such from them. but i do feel your pain 'alittle' atleast. pun intended

traddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2013, 11:52 AM   #24
NYCEnglish
Registered Member

I too bought a Divided Leopard Wrasse from Blue Zoo. Unfortunately, she recently died - but just to be clear - I had her for almost 5 years, so no complaints from me about Blue Zoo! Their packaging is always excellent.

NYCEnglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2013, 05:03 PM   #25
Meanstreet5150
Moved On

Agreed great place

Meanstreet5150 is offline   Reply With Quote