Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 12/21/2016, 08:43 PM   #26
Reeferman1019
Registered Member
 
Reeferman1019's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tampa,FL
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatoichi View Post
Check your iodide levels

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk


Should it be high or low? Aquavitro Fuel has iodine in it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Reeferman1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2016, 08:47 PM   #27
Zatoichi
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 223
From my recollection is usually low but test

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk


Zatoichi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2016, 08:48 PM   #28
Reeferman1019
Registered Member
 
Reeferman1019's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tampa,FL
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatoichi View Post
From my recollection is usually low but test

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk


Ok


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Reeferman1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2017, 06:46 AM   #29
crawlerman
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 269
You are starving your corals, shut down the GFO and only use it if your phosphates get high. Soft corals like the water a little dirty. You want detectable nitrates and phosphates.


crawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2017, 07:14 AM   #30
Reeferman1019
Registered Member
 
Reeferman1019's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tampa,FL
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlerman View Post
You are starving your corals, shut down the GFO and only use it if your phosphates get high. Soft corals like the water a little dirty. You want detectable nitrates and phosphates.


Ok will stop GFO, but don't see why that's a concern I only use a small amount


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Reeferman1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2017, 02:13 PM   #31
crawlerman
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 269
it only takes a small amount to strip a 10g aquarium. Corals need nitrates and phosphates to live. If your tests are accurate you have neither. If you want to run a ULN system you need to be adding all of the supplements. You may want to up your feeding as well until you have detectable levels. Are you getting any growth from that birdsnest? Is it pale or is the color normal? Do you have any algae growth? The fuel should help.


crawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2017, 10:51 PM   #32
Reeferman1019
Registered Member
 
Reeferman1019's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tampa,FL
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlerman View Post
it only takes a small amount to strip a 10g aquarium. Corals need nitrates and phosphates to live. If your tests are accurate you have neither. If you want to run a ULN system you need to be adding all of the supplements. You may want to up your feeding as well until you have detectable levels. Are you getting any growth from that birdsnest? Is it pale or is the color normal? Do you have any algae growth? The fuel should help.


Ok, birdsnest is doing good normal color. Do have algae on substrate.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Reeferman1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2017, 06:17 AM   #33
crawlerman
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 269
In some systems xenia will have explosive growth and spread all over, in others it will not live. I had a 75g that was doing great, had mix of softies, LPS and sps (a few montipora and a tricolor acro). I tried putting xenia in 3 times and it melted away within a few weeks. Never did figure out why. I figured it might be some trace element I was low on but didn't test. But if all of your other corals are thriving I wouldn't start adding random supplements. But either way you do want some nutrients in the tank. Nitrates right around 5 and phosphates around .03ish. If you don't have a low range Hannah Phosphorous checker you could be in the right range with phosphates but your test kit won't detect low range. If it's in the budget I would recommend getting a Hannah low range phosphorous checker. Make sure its the one that test in PPB.


crawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2017, 01:35 PM   #34
Reeferman1019
Registered Member
 
Reeferman1019's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tampa,FL
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlerman View Post
In some systems xenia will have explosive growth and spread all over, in others it will not live. I had a 75g that was doing great, had mix of softies, LPS and sps (a few montipora and a tricolor acro). I tried putting xenia in 3 times and it melted away within a few weeks. Never did figure out why. I figured it might be some trace element I was low on but didn't test. But if all of your other corals are thriving I wouldn't start adding random supplements. But either way you do want some nutrients in the tank. Nitrates right around 5 and phosphates around .03ish. If you don't have a low range Hannah Phosphorous checker you could be in the right range with phosphates but your test kit won't detect low range. If it's in the budget I would recommend getting a Hannah low range phosphorous checker. Make sure its the one that test in PPB.
ok I will look into those testers really appreciate the good info


Reeferman1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:40 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014