Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/11/2017, 10:43 PM   #1
BigBearMD
Registered Member

Algae war...too far?

So I picked up a couple of new corals from a LFS while visiting my folks. A large monticap for next to nothing, a nice size birds nest for a good price as well. I dipped both and straight into the DT. The next day I pulled the monti to deplug and noticed a live bristle worm so I scrubbed the eggs and super glued them then mounted it.

At that time I noticed a couple of bubble algae spots on the birds next so I pulled it from the tank, popped and scrubbed the bubbles. A couple of weeks later I pulled some green hair and then superglued that area too.

Anyways. Now I'm seeing some bubble algae popping up on my candy cane (one of my favorites). I wanted to move this piece a little lower in my tank anyways. So would it be worth dipping this piece in Coral Rx or maybe even a Bayer dip after pulling it from the tank?

I'm planning on pulling the bird's nest. That one seems to be the culprit. I'm thinking I might put it in the fish QT although that tank is much worse with phosphates so I'm not sure I'll get much of anywhere ridding it of algae in the tank. Maybe the angel will help pick it clean.

BigBearMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2017, 01:12 AM   #2
DarkSkyForever
Registered Member

Coral Rx and Bayer won't kill algae. Look into hydrogen peroxide.

DarkSkyForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2017, 06:15 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

And don't overreact to a few bubble algae pieces..
Just keep working on getting phosphates/nitrates low and they may just go away on their own..
I never sweat it until it really starts to take over.. A few bits here/there isn't a reason to start a war yet..