Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01/12/2017, 04:34 AM   #1
kidkaos520
Registered Member

Got an itch

I have a jbj tank sitting in the garage it's either a 6 or 12g and I have been wanting to try out keeping acros. I know that having more water volume is better but this is not an option right now. I am hoping that I will not have to Frankenstein this tank to much; the one thing I know I will need for sure is an ato. I have been reading that weekly water changes of 25% or so should be enough to replenish what the corals take. Can someone chime in on this. I will probably ditch the hood and get an AI prime (unless someone can suggest something better) keep it BB and maybe a mp10.

kidkaos520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2017, 07:49 AM   #2
Pittsburgh
Registered Member

I think it should be doable, especially with enough SPS experience. ATO, heater, lights and flow. WCs to keep parameters in control. Fluctuations would be pretty high in such a small system. So I would probably pick a salt with standard sea water parameters and just dose ALK/CAL separately under careful testing regiment.

Current Tank Info: 95g Oceanic SPS reef. 30g sump, Sicce Syncra Silent 4.0 return, Reef Octopus 2000SSS skimmer, fuge with chaeto, BRS Carbon reactor, MR1 GFO reactor, BRS 2part dosing, Tunze ATO, 2x Tunze 6095 powerheads on a Tunze 7095, Gyre 130, 2xRadions xr30w pro.
Pittsburgh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2017, 11:50 AM   #3
kidkaos520
Registered Member

Turns out it is a 12g which is a little better than the 6

Old 01/12/2017, 05:24 PM   #4
Scorpius
The Final Countdown

If you're seasoned at keeping Acropora go for it, if not you'll more than likely to end up killing a lot of Acropora. Your post leads me to believe you're not seasoned with Acropora. I'm not.

Old 01/12/2017, 07:20 PM   #5
kidkaos520
Registered Member

Nope not seasoned at all but I look at a lot of acro pictures must count for something . After much thought I think I am going to add a sump to my rsm 130 that is already running and go that route for more water volume. Will be a 10g diy sump with hob overflow. I can just go the mixed reed route even though I will miss my dirty water lps softie tank

Old 01/12/2017, 10:00 PM   #6
Rakie
Registered Member

I started with a 12g not long ago running all Acropora and had no issues. I then moved onto a 29g Biocube with Kalkwasser in the ATO -- Pretty simple! No issues personally.

I think people put far too much emphasis on how hard SPS is. After over 1 year keeping SPS with zero prior experience I just recently had my first death -- And it was because a snail knocked a mini colony onto an Acan in the night.

SPS isn't that hard to keep alive. It isn't that hard to color up. But it is exceedingly hard to master. A novice should have zero issues getting an SPS coral to around 75-80% of it's color potential. A seasoned keeper should easily get 90% of it's color potential, but it takes someone with a lot of understanding and a finely tuned system to get 95+% color.

When you look at a pics of tanks and say "That's a Garf Bonsai", "That's a Garf", "Thats a garf" and suddenly "WOW, what on earth is that SUPER purple coral with neon green polyps?!" -- That's the Garf in the hands of someone whose experienced and has a finely tuned system