Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/20/2018, 11:40 AM   #1
accel
Registered Member

Feeding Reduction Ill Effects?

I read that fish can thrive without food for 2 to 3 days (or maybe more). Given that idea, can I modify my daily feeding to every 2 days?

What are the cons for a reef tank? I have voracious snails and copepod population I want to maintain. I have dragonets and mandarin that rely on copepod.

What about freshwater tanks? I have African Dwarf Frogs and snails as well.

My daily feeding schedule is
* bunch of Hikari pellets in the morning and another set in the evening for both saltwater and freshwater.
* Algae Barn's Phytoplankton in the morning and evening for the reef tanks
* Tetra flakes in the morning and evening for the freshwater the Neon Tetras
* Blood worms in the evening for the freshwater tank foe the African Dwarf Frogs
* Mysis shrimp in the evening for the main reef tank.
* Thrice a week Reef Roids on the main reef tank.

Why I want to reduce feeding to every two days? Because fish don't die in two days because of starvation, save supplies (negligible cost), less work (not a big deal really), less nitrates (I have good filtration but I feel I need to cutback the feeding).

accel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2018, 11:55 AM   #2
tjm9331
Registered Member

The short answer is yes feedings can be reduced to every other day or so.

That said I would say it really all depends on what kind of fish we're talking about. Mandarins, as you mentioned, pretty need to eat constantly where as something like a regal tang of niger trigger could probably go 2 days without eating although aggression might increase. Anthias for sure need to eat at least twice a day.

your snails and pods don't really rely on the daily feedings, they are there to clean up what is left over from the feedings as well as the fish poo and various forms of algae that grow in the tank.

tjm9331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2018, 01:58 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Just focusing on saltwater you can likely feed every 2-3 days if you want and can stop the reefroids and just see how everything does

Unread 06/21/2018, 12:59 PM   #4
billdogg
Registered Member

In my 120DT, I have 6 LPS, and a profusion of SPS, along with 8 smallish fish including a pair of Lyretail Anthias, A Tomini Tang, and a Blue Star Leopard wrasse, a medium sized serpent star, and a handful of various snails.

I feed a small amount of NLS pellets (.5 & 1mm) maybe once daily, and a cube or two of Rod's original or other frozen treat about once a week. I don't target feed anything.

I can easily let it go 2-3 days without feeding. Any longer and somebody has to come over to top off the sump anyway, but IMHO, there is plenty of goodies to munch on in/on the LR to keep them happy for a week or so. It helps that much of my LR has been in one tank or another of mine for 30 years.

By far one of the biggest problems people have with their tanks is overfeeding. It, in turn leads to so many other issues that can easily spin out of control.

jm.02

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2018, 09:54 AM   #5
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accel View Post
I read that fish can thrive without food for 2 to 3 days (or maybe more)...
Thrive is likely the wrong word there.

Will they not die, yes. For the negligible gains I'd rather feed less every day.

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote