Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/13/2017, 06:42 AM   #1
Taylorcz
Registered Member

Still not happy with my aquascape - + algae bloom

Hi Guys, I've had my tank up and running for a bit over 6 weeks now.

I have continuously fiddled with my live rock to find an aquascape that i am happy with, eventually i plan to add corals. I am worried about lack of coral placement and shape to the future mini reef. Do you think i need more height? I am contemplating removing the rock covered in algae on the right and buying more pieces like the ones on the left and stacking them higher and more centrally.

Open to suggestions of rearragement or for someone to tell me i am over reacting I tend to over think alot! haha

p.s. I have had a bit of an algae bloom however have been told not to be overly concerned as i have been told this will cure itself and considering i am about to buy a clean up crew and wave maker very soon??

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22472215_868099123342890_236183092_o.jpg (72.3 KB, 73 views)
Taylorcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2017, 06:49 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

The algae is 100% totally normal and will cure itself provided you keep up with proper maintenance (water changes,etc...)

You can drive yourself crazy aquascaping..

I'd suggest you just leave it as is.. You can always adjust it some later once you get more corals and see how they are going to fit or not,etc...

Unread 10/13/2017, 06:58 AM   #3
MurphyLong
HMFIC

My thoughts:

Take the taller piece from the right, and move it to the back, with the point in the back corner, but not touching glass. (Leave room to clean in there)
Take the 2 pieces that are in the back now, and make them into a small arch/cave in the front/right area. Move the branching skeleton to the front left, and stuff the others in the back somewhere out of sight.

MurphyLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2017, 07:37 AM   #4
davehead86
Registered Member

You have giant pieces in a smaller tank. Id take a chisel and break the pieces up so you can stack them in a more interesting manner. I always like the two separate island look.

Current Tank: 65 Gallon Mixed Reef| 40B Sump| 2 Radion Gen 3's| 2 MP10wes| Vectra M1 | Reefkeeper Lite
davehead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2017, 07:47 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
You can drive yourself crazy aquascaping..
And now its going to get crazier as you asked on the internet and EVERYONE has their opinions... but its YOUR tank.. YOU need to decide what you like..

Unread 10/13/2017, 07:51 AM   #6
Knighthawk
Registered Member

Just my opinion but I think you are going to dislike that holy rock no matter what you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2017, 08:08 AM   #7
Fiver
Registered Member

Just take that big low rock that's front and center and move it to the far left. That gives a wide U shape that looks pleasing without completely altering what you have now, which isn't bad, but looks a little awkward with that big opening in the middle because of the ring of rocks layout.

Take that small rock immediately to the right of that big low rock and scoot it a few inches left and into the opening of the U.

I agree; it's your tank and everyone will have a different opinion. But something about it clearly makes you wonder what can be tweaked, and I'd say that desire to modify it comes from your instinctual asthetic eye.

Good luck.

Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2017, 09:16 AM   #8
ReeferNoob4ever
Registered Member

Maybe move the larger rock in the front on top of the other two larger rocks in the back and kinda make an overhang (you may have to glue it) then space out the rest of the stuff so you have a little more room on the sandbed. Once you start stocking the tank it will change drastically. It's difficult to get a really good idea how everything will end up looking until you get it stocked. Don't worry about the rocks so much cuz in the end they will be covered with stuff anyway! Have fun and good luck...

Current Tank Info: 20gL mixed reef, 10g mixed reef w/nem & clown, 5g NPS & harlequin
ReeferNoob4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae bloom, aquascape, beginner, mini reef