Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/17/2019, 05:53 PM   #1
djryan2000
Registered Member

90 Gallon tank upstairs?

Would having a 90 gallon tank in my upstairs bedroom safe? It’s not my house so I can’t put a floor jack below. I’ve seen questions with much smaller tanks and much larger but not around 90... is this viable? Is there anything I can do to distribute the weight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2019, 07:04 PM   #2
on the spot
Registered Member

Best practice would be perpendicular to the floor joists. that's usually against the wall of the long side of the house.

Should be fine.

Might be a bit springy - you will notice the water move when you walk by. Again should be fine.

HTH

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2019, 09:22 AM   #3
billdogg
Registered Member

If it's a really old house it might be an issue, but if it's of modern construction you should be fine. As mentioned above - put it as close to a load bearing wall as possible/practical and perpendicular to the joists. If, after you fill it it seems too springy, find another location for it.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2019, 11:02 AM   #4
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

I do a lot of work for property management which means apartments and if i was you id ask the owner if its ok FIRST as they may say no just as they usually say no to water beds a lot here unless its on a concrete floor. Also, you had better be sure to get renters Ins. Either way should a mishap happen, you are stuck with the repair bill........ not the owner. Weight is not your only issue here & ive seen tenants get dragged to Court on many occasions for things just like this, gets real ugly if you don't ask & insure first. Good luck.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2019, 12:04 PM   #5
hkgar
Registered Member

As far as weight, if perpendicular, as mentioned, it should not be a problem. My 180 is on the main floor witha basement below and not a problem in 10+ years. Oh, except for a broken calcium reactor and a ten gallon flood.

Yup check and get, preferably, written permission from the property owner. Also I have heard of insurance agents saying yes it is covered, and then deny when a claim is made. Ask to see the wording in the contract.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2019, 06:54 PM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Weight is not an issue perp or parallel...Its just a 90g tank

Unread 08/18/2019, 08:28 PM   #7
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

I should have been more clear altho weight was the main question asked, my response was focused more on possible water damage not weight bearing, i also doubt a 90 gal tank will fall thu but a waterbed or a large fishtank or anything holding a large volume of water upstairs in a home one does not own, or have a mortgage & Ins. on...................................... is a serious water damage risk. Something to consider at the very least. I had a 40 gallon freshwater tank burst on me many yrs. ago for no apparent reason in an apartment but thankfully the floor was concrete so I just managed to catch the mess in time, so it does happen occasionally.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2019, 06:53 AM   #8
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldreeferman View Post
I had a 40 gallon freshwater tank burst on me many yrs. ago for no apparent reason in an apartment but thankfully the floor was concrete so I just managed to catch the mess in time, so it does happen occasionally.

Is there anything I can do to prevent bursting?
Any warning signs to look out for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2019, 07:19 AM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djryan2000 View Post
Is there anything I can do to prevent bursting?
Any warning signs to look out for?
Buy a quality tank?
Praying?

The problem with having a large tank of water is that there is always a chance its not going to stay inside the tank..
Even the best tanks can/do fail..
Its quite rare though..

Really no warning signs to look for in general.. Even the best looking seal/solvent joint,etc... can fail without warning.. And some of the worst looking can survive forever..