Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/11/2019, 10:49 AM   #26
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Quarantine and dip. I've found that disease can lay in wait for a lot longer than we think. I dip fish before qt and dip fish after. I use methalin blue (sp) and have had great success with it.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2019, 02:18 PM   #27
hkgar
Registered Member

Do what you want but these are the only treatments which work:

1. Hyposalinity - Using a refractometer, hold salinity at 11ppt to 12ppt until 4 weeks after the last spot was seen. (Best to use salinity, but if you use specific gravity, that equates to roughly 1.008 to 1.009 sp. gr. units). Raise salinity slowly and observe fish for 4 more weeks. It is difficult to control pH and water quality during treatment, however this is the least stressful treatment for the fish.

2. Copper treatment - Follow medication recommendations. This can be effective in 2 to 4 weeks of treatment. After treatment, remove all copper and observe fish for 4 more weeks. Copper is a poison to the fish and creates some stress.

3.. Transfer method – The fish is moved from tank to tank to separate the fish from the cysts that fall off and the free-swimming stages of the parasite. Two hospital tanks are needed to perform this treatment. The fish is stressed by having to keep moving it between these hospital tanks.

4. These are the ONLY 3 known cures that work almost 100% of the time. Other chemicals will kill the Cryptocaryon irritans parasite, but only in special conditions that are not good for the fish. Some chemicals will only kill some of the organisms, letting the others escape death to go on to multiply and infect.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1985626

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2019, 02:07 AM   #28
Bremenguppie
Registered Member

Polar bear 6t nope I ended up losing all the fish. My tank is now sitting empty for next 72 days and I'm setting up a TTM for future fish. Expensive lesson learned lol

Bremenguppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2019, 01:34 PM   #29
hkgar
Registered Member

I empathize, I too suffered an expensive lesson. Those who ignore are simply playing Russian Roulette. Eventually you will lose.

Sorry for your loss. You will come back, better.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2019, 07:41 AM   #30
hopkinsta69
Registered Member

Tank transfer method

Tank transfer method is best starting option in my opinion.

hopkinsta69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2019, 05:43 PM   #31
Bremenguppie
Registered Member

Polish bear I did not. I lost them all. My tank is sitting fish less for next 72 days. I am changing up way i do things. In future I'll be going to a TTM when i buy new fish.

Bremenguppie is offline   Reply With Quote