Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 10/02/2018, 12:39 PM   #101
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
maybe, maybe not.

but, a "like" button motivates people to post more, as people like it when their posts are liked.

I also noticed, most prolific posters/contributors here that moved to the other site, are given awards or recognition. I think that motivates them to post more, hence a more active forum.

just reporting my observations.

Participation awards and likes, no thanks...

Unread 10/02/2018, 01:08 PM   #102
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

this thread is for ideas how to make RC more active, but there seems to be a some who want to keep it inactive with status quo. I think the objective of making RC active is to get more current, relevant and new info. New discovery, new tricks, cool stuff, etc. It won't be there if nobody is posting. whatever few questions posted have few or no reply. I don't think you can get what you used to get here anymore.

regarding contribution recognition, its no different from reefer of the month so its not that much of a change. just because you will never get one, does not mean others should not.

Unread 10/02/2018, 03:12 PM   #103
CLM65
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pslreefer View Post
Participation awards and likes, no thanks...
I like this post!

Unread 10/03/2018, 05:51 AM   #104
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

Years ago, we were able to put "HOT" links into our signature.
We also had the little red house.
It would be nice if a supporter was allowed to add, within reason, a hot link in their sig, and bring back the red house.

I signed up for Aquatic Log, it updates some of my tank parameters once per day, and those I manually add will also be shown.

Like this:

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Unread 10/03/2018, 06:32 AM   #105
Sorcha2
Registered Member

Lol being one of the younger members what would encourage me to be more active on here is photo contests and give aways. I like the pretty pictures but being a bit younger my tank isn't as polished or filled out as the older members just due to time, experience, and money for live stock. Give aways aimed at less experienced members would help them fill out their tanks and encourage them to stay active on here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Unread 10/03/2018, 12:59 PM   #106
2_zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcha2 View Post
Lol being one of the younger members what would encourage me to be more active on here is photo contests and give aways. I like the pretty pictures but being a bit younger my tank isn't as polished or filled out as the older members just due to time, experience, and money for live stock. Give aways aimed at less experienced members would help them fill out their tanks and encourage them to stay active on here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
If you don’t have the time or the urge to post on RC now.....giving you a fish, coral, pump, etc. won’t change your mindset or schedule.

I personally come here to read and learn while sharing when I can because I enjoy the hobby. Teaching and learning brings me joy. That’s my payment and reward for participation.

Buying participation will never be as good as voluntary participation. In both quality and length of time. Look at some people’s work history. Some think an extra .50-1.00 more per hour is worth a different set of politics at a different company. Then 6 months later......

Unread 10/03/2018, 01:22 PM   #107
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_zoa View Post
If you don’t have the time or the urge to post on RC now.....giving you a fish, coral, pump, etc. won’t change your mindset or schedule.

I personally come here to read and learn while sharing when I can because I enjoy the hobby. Teaching and learning brings me joy. That’s my payment and reward for participation.

Buying participation will never be as good as voluntary participation. In both quality and length of time. Look at some people’s work history. Some think an extra .50-1.00 more per hour is worth a different set of politics at a different company. Then 6 months later......

+1...
This is why we need a like button!

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
Unread 10/03/2018, 01:27 PM   #108
Misled
RC Mod

Quote:

Very well put!!!

Unread 10/03/2018, 01:35 PM   #109
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Unread 10/03/2018, 02:05 PM   #110
Misled
RC Mod

You could just use instead.

Unread 10/03/2018, 02:43 PM   #111
D-Nak
Registered Member

It's sad to think that this thread is just for discussion purposes only, as the mods have mentioned several times that the powers that be have no intent on making any changes. Oh well.

Unread 10/03/2018, 02:44 PM   #112
2_zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
You could just use instead.
No.....
No, he couldn’t.

That was a great post!!! Lol

Unread 10/03/2018, 02:55 PM   #113
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
It's sad to think that this thread is just for discussion purposes only, as the mods have mentioned several times that the powers that be have no intent on making any changes. Oh well.

Yep. Like was said before, they’re driving this old horse until it’s dead...

Maybe someone can buy it though?

Unread 10/03/2018, 03:14 PM   #114
alton
Registered Member

Did some one say a dead horse

Unread 10/03/2018, 03:22 PM   #115
reefgeezer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
+1, , like, & etc., on "sad". Continual improvement is the hallmark of many long term successful ventures.

Maybe the "powers that be" are reading this thread and maybe it with spark an idea. I respect the moderators and would not wish to do their job. It might be better if they just let the thread run its course without comment. At worst, it's doing no harm. At least it's getting some to post that rarely do so.

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
Unread 10/03/2018, 10:36 PM   #116
TheCamaroShow
Registered Member

Thanks all

Unread 10/05/2018, 05:55 AM   #117
sde1500
Registered Member

Who does own this and make changes around here anyway? Even on major social sites we know that. FB is the Zuck, reddit has Spez.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
Unread 10/05/2018, 06:42 PM   #118
2_zoa
Registered Member

Does John Link still own RC?
If so has he gotten partners lately?

Unread 10/08/2018, 10:56 AM   #119
mhurley
RC Staff

Quote:
Does John Link still own RC?
Yes he does.

Current Tank Info: 60G Cube
Unread 10/09/2018, 09:29 PM   #120
2_zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhurley View Post
Yes he does.
His honest opinion and feedback would be nice on this.

He was gratuitous enough in the past to tell the story of how he acquired RC. How are his feelings about it now?

Maybe there some though spots/truths in the would of forum holders/owners that many of us don’t know about?

Unread 10/10/2018, 05:31 PM   #121
TheCamaroShow
Registered Member

boy this is one heck of a thread

Unread 10/10/2018, 06:41 PM   #122
saf1
Registered Member

There are some people that still find time to post, update their threads, and talk in general. However, internet sites ebb and flow while some will grow others will fade. This may be one of those areas and/or sites. Some of the rules on this site are wonky and chased people away. Others just found other places to hang out.

If the owner sees no need to make changes it will run its own course in time.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
Unread 10/10/2018, 07:01 PM   #123
TheCamaroShow
Registered Member

what rules are wonky?

Unread 10/10/2018, 07:04 PM   #124
TheCamaroShow
Registered Member

the only rule i feel is wonky is not being able to see the for sell threads until 90 days. because I would buy on here but I can't because I've only been on here for like 40-50 days. I can see not being able to sell to avoid scammers but to buy i don't see a issue with

Unread 10/10/2018, 07:14 PM   #125
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCamaroShow View Post
what rules are wonky?
Rumor has it one person left that because they thought they are promoting a book they wrote... One leaves and then others follow. Also some of the restrictions on linking to other forums.

He said she said rumors what have you. I've been around here since 2001 and have seen plenty of in-fighting not to mention cross forum hostility (reefs dot org comes to mind).

Not bashing whoever owns this site but just saying it is what it is and seasons change.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
Closed Thread