Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/15/2018, 03:22 PM   #1
Globalbutterfly
Registered Member

3000sss on 57gal? Obvious Noob...be kind

Ok, first as I state, I am an obvious noob and this is my first “big girl” tank. I have a little Evo 13.5 that I’ve been obsessed with for the past 4-5 months and am ready to step up and get a real reef tank with sump, skimmer etc. I’ve been trying to go slowly and do lots of research before buying anything. Looked at lots of tanks in person & decided I liked the size and dimensions of the Deep Blue RR Rimless (36x18x20) - manageable for me to do all the maintenance & upkeep myself as I learn the ropes without being overwhelming. Decision #1 - Done.

Then I happened to see the exact tank I wanted for sale used on my local reef club forum at a great price. Then I promptly broke my first rule and impulsively bought the tank ALONG with a used SRO Reef Octopus 3000sss at the bundled price of $270.

I now realize it is MASSIVELY oversized for my tank. Will I be still be able to use it? OR did I just buy a very large paperweight?

Globalbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 05:05 PM   #2
LQT
Registered Member

An 8” diameter skimmer will be massively oversized for that size tank unfortunately. You can run it, but it will be very inconsistent as the neck size is huge relative to the bioload that a 57 gallon tank can support. Ask a bunch of questions and be active on these forums. Once you get up to 50 meaningful posts, you gain access to the for sale forums and can sell that skimmer in the classifieds.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 05:26 PM   #3
Rover88
Registered Member

Sounds like a sweet deal though.

I can almost guarantee you you'll be able to sell it for enough to buy the skimmer sized right! Or heck, people are always upgrading but not many are downsizing. You could maybe even straight trade with someone that wants to go up a size.

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 08:07 PM   #4
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Yep just do more posting on here asking questions and learning. Then sell the skimmer in the classifieds. You can get a Eshopps S-120 for about $300 or a Bubble Magnus Curve5 for about $230. Either will be a good skimmer for your needs. If you plan to stock heavy or upgrade to a larger tank go with a S-200 or Curve7.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 08:12 PM   #5
Globalbutterfly
Registered Member

Thanks. That’s kind of what I thought you’d say lol, as that’s pretty much what I’ve been reading on all the different forums. Unfortunately when I was making my quick decision, I found the one that said “Sure! No problem...You can never over-skim”.

That said, given I’m a rookie, prone to over-feeding, likely to over-stock and definitely eventually do something stupid, what size, make/model should I be looking at for a reef tank with the capacity to handle anything my tank size and eventual lighting will allow me to keep?

Unread 01/15/2018, 08:18 PM   #6
Globalbutterfly
Registered Member

Never mind...I see DesertReefT4 answered my question before I finished typing it!

Thanks much!

At least a smaller skimmer will help with the sump design. That’s how I figured out I’d messed up. Couldn’t possibly fit this one in any reasonably sized stand and sump for a tank anywhere near my size.

Unread 01/15/2018, 08:31 PM   #7
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Here shop around these skimmers. You dont want to gove larger than a 6" neck which would be a large skimmer for a 57g and coul e be used again on a tank upgrade. 4-5" neck is ideal for your planned tank size so keep thatbinfo in mind.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/prote...f-octopus.html
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/prote...-skimmers.html
https://www.marinedepot.com/Bubble_M...FIPSIS-vi.html
https://www.marinedepot.com/Bubble_M...FIPSIS-vi.html
I would be highly considering the Eshopps S120 and S200, BM Curve 5 and 7 or RO 110SSS or 150INT, IMO these would be the best fit and prices are under $200-350 range for quality skimmers.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Unread 01/16/2018, 10:26 AM   #8
Zacktosterone
Registered Member

you know what that means eh? get a bigger sump!! more water volume. anyway i ran an sro3000 int on my 100 gallon just fine, with a light bioload..... obviously it worked really well when it was slammed with fish and coral

Zacktosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 02:08 PM   #9
HBtank
Premium Member

I agree with people here that a right sized skimmer is the best long term solution. My 80 hums with a 5” skimmer and I would not go over 6”, it always feels very tightly tuned; oversizing 30% for heavy bioload is one thing, but that skimmer is a couple teirs above and you might have to go wetter and more inconsistent than you want.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 07:47 PM   #10
Globalbutterfly
Registered Member

Thanks for the help. I DO want the biggest refugium I can fit under a stand. It’s just a 36” wide tank and a relatively proportional stand is a bit tight to fit that beast in too Lol.

As for a proper skimmer for my tank, I was actually looking at the S-120 today at the LFS. Liked the size and the Sicce pump. But since I first have to unload this one, I’ve got some time to obsessively research.

Unread 01/16/2018, 08:05 PM   #11
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

The S-120 will be a great choice but if you have the space for it the S-200 gives you that extra size for as I said before a larger tank in the future. Personally I always like to go 1 size up if sump space will allow it. You are on the right track now though.