Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/07/2017, 02:27 PM   #1
ReefTeacher
Registered Member

Thumbs down I expected more

Warning! Rant coming!

I have had a Neptune controller for many years, started with an AC jr. upgraded to an ACIII and now have had an APEX for about 6 years. Controllers are reliable and easy to use. But I have had very negative experience with the support for peripherals.

I bought an AFS brand new from Bulk Reef Supply. Just stopped working after about 3 months. I get an RMA and send it for repairs. they say "this is water damage, not covered under warrantee" the unit never touched water, isn't it made to go over an aquarium? I guess the year-long warrantee is not worth a damn

Last month one of my WAV's just stopped working. I bought a new impeller...no go. Got an RMA and sent for repairs. Today I am told it cannot be repaired and must be replaced AT FULL COST! granted the warrantee was up on the WAV, but no ability to repair a $200 pump after only a year and a half?

I really expected more from a company that used to be so good. No attempt to make it right. emails are formulaic. I miss the days when I would call tech support and not only talk to a person, but often get Curt himself on the phone to fix the problem. I have really soured on this company.

told ya' it was a rant!

ReefTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2017, 07:47 AM   #2
wmo168
Registered Member

Do they have detail on why the pump failed and can't be repair? I am sorry about the AFS,...

wmo168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2017, 09:42 AM   #3
slief
RC Sponsor

In defense of Neptune on the powerhead, these powerheads like all others including Tunze's, Jebao's etc all have the coils sealed in the head. Those coils are what makes the magnet attached to the impeller spin. When the powerhead fails internally, there is no opening it up. As i said, it's completely sealed in plastic and or epoxy to prevent water intrusion.

As for the AFS. That is a bummer. I've had mine since they were first released and it hasn't skipped a beat but I also have it mounted to my light rack and not sitting on the top of the tank near the water. As such, splashing or moisture has never been an issue. That said, it would be nice if they were more water resistant but I am not aware of any smaller feeders such as those from Eheim or others that are truly water resistant. Either way, that is a shame and I feel for you.

I do however think that in these cases, Neptune should offer a "good faith" or loyalty discount on out of warranty replacements. I think that would go a long way in preserving customer loyalty and confidence.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2017, 07:32 PM   #4
radiata
Registered Member

On the AFS, I have a dead one too. The problem was probably caused by excess humidity. But to me, that sounds like a design failure on Neptune's part. I'd go back to Eheim, feeders, but they are a PITA to program.

As for the WAV, I find your experience very disturbing. I can buy replacement motor blocks for my Jebao powerheads. I can buy replacement motor blocks for any of my Tunze powerheads. Why can't I buy one for my WAVs? The thought of having to completely replace WAVs every few years in rather unpleasant. Makes me want to check out using Tunze Stream 3s and a VDM - up front costs are higher, but they have a 5 year warranty that looks like it would save money in the long run.

Current Tank Info: Multiple - 600+ Net Gallons
radiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2017, 07:01 AM   #5
jonnyu
Registered Member

That's crazy. I was going to order a WAV but going to have to cancel that idea. Don't see why repair should be full price of unit. How long did he pump last you ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonnyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2017, 09:46 AM   #6
Jyetman
Registered Member

Glad I waited on those pumps to see what others say reliability wise. I was skeptical 6 years ago when I bought a Rio 1700 to run my algae scrubber 27/7 today I can say they have greatly improved since the great Rio 1997 - 2002 exploding years.

Jyetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2017, 07:11 AM   #7
wmo168
Registered Member

I just bought a AFS but will only use it when I go on vacation for 3-4 weeks... will store it once I am back.. hopefully this will last.

wmo168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2018, 12:03 PM   #8
ReefTeacher
Registered Member

My second WAV stopped working this week. Did an acid soak and a complete clean out. No go. I have a ticket in, but we will see what happens.

In the mean time, I bought a Tunze Stream 3. It works flawlessly with very little maintenance. Also a 5 year warrantee. I will invest in another if the WAV cannot be fixed. Neptune is losing my confidence.

ReefTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2018, 02:21 PM   #9
jimbow
Registered Member

My AFS quit after a year. Then my one WAV quit after 2 years. For what this stuff costs it should last longer. I bought another WAV but will change if the other dies. For $200.00 they should do better. For the AFS I got an Eheim to replace it. The Eheim is way quieter and I can buy 3 of them for the price of the AFS.

jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote