Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/17/2018, 12:22 AM   #1
avery155
Registered Member

How's my clam look to you?

So I ended up getting a Maxima clam. When I went to look at it it was under kessil a700 I think or a600's. They were the long square kessils, not the round ones. It responded well to the shadow of my hand an I did not see any pyramid snails.
I did see it releasing some zooxanthellae at the time.

Brought it home drip acclimated it and in it went. Checked under it and in folds for pyramid snails and again tonight with flashlight didn't see any. It's foot is attached to a few pieces of coral rubble and is sitting on a flat rock currently. The foot has not attached yet as I tried again to burp it this evening since it has not openes any further than you see.

Tank mates including wrasse haven't bothered it, except the wrasse tried to eat the stand of zooxanthellae, it must have tasted good because when he went for a second bite close into clam I thought he was going to get shut in by the clam. No mantle nipping of any kind tho.

So here is how the clam sits currently best pics of could get of a front and slightly above, it seems about as open as it was at the shop. Hoping it will open more, I did scrape off some tunnel worms that were feasting on the released zooxanthellae in case it was bothering the clam and I think I seen a small feather duster close to the mantle but it doesn't seem to touch the mantle.

Any advice or does it look ok for being in tank for 24 hours.

avery155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 08:02 AM   #2
Mknuwet
Registered Member

Looks fine so far

Mknuwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 09:57 PM   #3
lionfish300
Registered Member

How is the clam? opening up more?

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 12:32 AM   #4
avery155
Registered Member

Clam looked the same as yesterday, here is two quick photos I snapped this morning, phone makes tank way more blue than it really is.

I'm not sure how much the center flesh of the clam can stretch but it doesn't look like it has much flesh between the mantle to open more. The intake hole is not gaping but not much flesh between the sides of it and the actual she'll if that makes sense. Maybe is it possible in the wild its space was restricted? Has great color and response today.

Unread 02/18/2018, 07:06 AM   #5
45commando
Registered Member

Are you sure it's a Maxima, the shell looks more like that of a Crocea to me, but could just be the pic. I would just give it time to adjust to your lights & it will hopefully start to expand more. Best of luck

Current Tank Info: 92G Corner tank, 250 wt 14K MH, 20G sump, 5G fuge, mixed reef
45commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 07:50 AM   #6
OrionN
Moved on

That is a Crocea, not a Maxima.
Don't try to burp it anymore. It should be fine regarding air inside him.
He does not open as well as he should, but certainly more today than yesterday. Give him a few days and see how he is doing.
Did you MO him or get him locally?
When choosing MO clams (WYSIWYG), I avoid clams that doe not open fully like that, and when buy locally I also avoid clams that does not open fully. I never buy without seeing it one way or the other.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 09:09 AM   #7
Jazeel55
Registered Member

It looks like a wild caught maxima. Those never fair well for long. Where did you get it. The problem with clam is they die slowly and by time you realize that something is wrong it already dead. The wild caught don’t open up wide. That’s probably as open as it will get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jazeel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 10:22 AM   #8
avery155
Registered Member

I got it locally, was told it was a Maxima, about 6 inches long. I assumed it was wild caught, not raised. Well I hope it does well, all I can do is keep water stable and keep lights on it.

Unread 02/18/2018, 05:21 PM   #9
OrionN
Moved on

it is better today. Good luck.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote