Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/25/2018, 12:49 PM   #1
stpauli914
Registered Member

EB8 Dissasembly

I would like to replace the cord on my EB8's with shorter lengths to direct wire into some junction boxes. Has anyone taken apart an EB8 and done something like this? I'm not concerned about the warranty, just that it is feasible....

Thanks in advance,
Aaron

Current Tank Info: 240 Gallon Mixed Reef Miracles Custom 72x30x25 Starfire, COR20 RD3 80W, BK Alpha 200, MP40QD's, Radion G4 Pros * 80 Gallon Deep Blue Rimless SPS Dominant 48x24x16 Starfire, RD5 ECO, BK Mini 160, MP40QD's, Radion Gen4 Pros* Apex Controlled
stpauli914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2018, 01:32 PM   #2
aaronpentz
Registered Member

Why not just cut the cord. When you're done you can always get a replacement plug that can be wired in. They are pretty hard to disassemble and the wires are soldered onto the board.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 67 Long
aaronpentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 03:28 AM   #3
laverda
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronpentz View Post
Why not just cut the cord. When you're done you can always get a replacement plug that can be wired in. They are pretty hard to disassemble and the wires are soldered onto the board.

I have thought about doing the same on my EB8 and on some other things where I have 10’ cords and only need 2’. The reason to do it that way is to retain the molded plug on the cord. Replacement plugs are all much bulkier and ugly. The amount of work is not much different. The astetics are what maters more to me. I hate having loops of excess wire all over under my tank. DC pumps are the worst as you have 2 cords per pump to deal with. I would like to do the same with my Aquabus, temp, PH, ORP and salinity probe cords. They require a specific crimpers for the job. I have the crimper for the temp probe.
Then I really need a 18” longer cord on one of my EB8s, instead of a extension cord.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 03:34 AM   #4
laverda
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpauli914 View Post
I would like to replace the cord on my EB8's with shorter lengths to direct wire into some junction boxes. Has anyone taken apart an EB8 and done something like this? I'm not concerned about the warranty, just that it is feasible....

Thanks in advance,
Aaron
I have Put longer and shorter cords on several pieces of equipment over the years. I have also made custom length extension cords on many occasions.
There is a thread on reef 2 reef on repairing the EB8 which shows what’s involved in disabling one. It has been a while since I looked at it, but you may not need to take it completely apart to replace the cord.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 06:15 AM   #5
aaronpentz
Registered Member

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2447824

Found the link.

I've had to do this to fix an outlet. It's a PITA. And looking it over it you won't need to take it completely apart to swap the cord. But you'll have to solder to the board.

Fairly simple just be careful not to cook the board too much as you can lift the trace off the board itself then the repair becomes difficult if not impossible.

Current Tank Info: 67 Long
aaronpentz is offline   Reply With Quote