Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > EcoTech Marine
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/29/2011, 05:53 PM   #401
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

Just buying time until my hanging kit arrives! UPS tracking says Tuesday!

wesleyforbes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2011, 08:19 PM   #402
tmulrney
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyforbes2 View Post
I noticed that also, but thought it had to do with not having a light plugged in. Anyone with lights have that problem?

Sent from Wesley's Moto Atrix 4G using Tapatalk
I have the exactly same issue. No natural mode.

tmulrney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2011, 09:25 AM   #403
Texsun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovuma View Post
The tank appears dimmer than it did under MH / Compact combo, even though PAR measurements are on par.

The reds, pinks, and blues appear washed; mute, a little bland.
Thanks for the review! The first is a common reaction when switching to LEDs and your eyes will adjust. The second is an issue I had with the AIs that led me to part with them. My hope is with the added channels, the Radion will address this. Hopefully, through tinkering you can get it to a place you like.

Eat them up, yum!

Current Tank Info: Dipping my toes back with an Elos Mini...
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2011, 09:25 AM   #404
tmulrney
Registered Member

To SkullV

How did you determine the mounting height for the radions? I have mine and I am playing around with different mounting options. I'm looking at the 24" foot print but not as clear cut as I had hoped. My tank is 26" deep. Any thoughts?

I might mount them all on a rail and use something to elevate the rail over the tank to see which height looks best. I see from your pic that you have the height all worked out and I am eager to know how you came up with it.

Unread 10/30/2011, 09:27 AM   #405
tmulrney
Registered Member

The above is addressed to SkullV!

Unread 10/30/2011, 01:03 PM   #406
MedRed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmulrney View Post
How did you determine the mounting height for the radions? I have mine and I am playing around with different mounting options. I'm looking at the 24" foot print but not as clear cut as I had hoped. My tank is 26" deep. Any thoughts?

I might mount them all on a rail and use something to elevate the rail over the tank to see which height looks best. I see from your pic that you have the height all worked out and I am eager to know how you came up with it.
My tank is 24"x 24" . I had my aqua illumination fixture mounted 12" over the tank. It looks like the optics on the radion are a lot wider than the AI's. If I remember correctly, the sweet spot for the radions are 6" - 8". Ecotech, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm somewhere around 9" to 10" as my lights have to clear the swinging lid hood on my glass cover. I used my existing ai railing system to mount my lights from the ceiling, so I can easily height adjust.

Unread 10/30/2011, 08:24 PM   #407
TucanSam007
Registered Member

Wesley I watched your youtube vid those polished stainless steel brackets look sexy!

TucanSam007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2011, 08:57 PM   #408
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

Thanks man! Still waiting for the hanging kit :-(

Unread 10/30/2011, 10:31 PM   #409
MedRed
Registered Member

I probably won't be able to take pictures until Tuesday, but my lights are hung.

First impressions:
  1. Modules are smaller than they look in pictures. They are very thin.
  2. My fans seem like they are blowing air out rather than sucking air in. Maybe I just can't tell which direction the fan is blowing.
  3. The power brick is massive.
  4. The color of the light itself seems softer and more homogenous than my Aqua Illumination fixture.
  5. The spread seems better than than my AI's (used all 70% optics on the AI's)
  6. I've been gone all weekend, so I haven't been able to evaluate coral appearance yet.

Thoughts on possible improvements:
  1. Needs a full, detailed manual. I'm sure this will be on the way as everything probably isn't written in stone as of yet.
  2. The ecosmart software is basically a stable beta. You can see the potential for functionality, but there isn't much that can be done other than setting manual points.
  3. Programming these lights is a hassle. you will need to have access to the front of the light, and plug in your laptop to the light. I recommend getting the longer cable so that you can safely set your laptop down somewhere. I dropped my laptop in the process of switching cables between my 2 different units as one of them needed a direct usb link as it failed to update the firmware wirelessly while i was connected to the other light.
  4. If you have a desktop, you will need a cable long enough to reach your tank or you will need to remove the unit, disconnect it from the power brick, and physically take it to the computer (this can be a hassle). If you have more than one unit, the unit attached to your desktop must be within the wireless range of the of your other units.
  5. This system of needing a direct link to a unit would be much better and easier with something designed to be held in your hands like a tablet or phone. Having the ability to hook up an iPad or iPhone to change settings would be a lot easier to do while standing in front of your tank.
  6. The touch buttons on the units could benefit from being backlit and aided by the use of a backlit LCD screen. The buttons are hard enough to see with some light, they are really, really difficult to see with low lighting. It would be nice if you could touch the LED indicator light to get all of the buttons to light up. They could then stay lit until a minute or so after your last button press. Also, rotating through the settings and increasing/decreasing intensity is completely unintuitive without some sort of visible indicator showing where you are in the cycle. It would be nice to have backlit bars light up or go out as you increase or decrease intensity with the buttons. I haven't had a chance to notice if the LED indicator tells you anything about the on board settings if so, there isn't as much use for a screen. If not, a screen would be greatly appreciated.
  7. I would have preferred a power cable set up similar to that of the AI's. They unplug from the back of the unit. The existing setup probably helped reached the thin aesthetic and also benefits cooling by not having those components in the fixture, but It would be a lot easier to manage/hide the cables as well as make it easier to remove the fixture if it needs to be taken to a desktop if the power cables were removable from the fixture.

All in all I'm very pleased with the lights. I am looking forward to spending more time with them around the middle of this week.

Unread 10/31/2011, 04:45 PM   #410
Texsun
Registered Member

Got my two Radions and hanging kit from Marine Depot but no time to play with them. Trick or treating awaits!

Eat them up, yum!

Current Tank Info: Dipping my toes back with an Elos Mini...
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2011, 04:54 PM   #411
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

Nice! My hanging kit is supposed to be here tomorrow! :-)

Unread 10/31/2011, 07:26 PM   #412
tmulrney
Registered Member

Radion Software Issues

Anyone having software issues with these lights? I installed the configuration utility but every time I connect usb to computer and lights to program, the software looks for a firmware update and then closes the software program!!!

Help

Unread 10/31/2011, 07:33 PM   #413
myroom
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedRed View Post
I probably won't be able to take pictures until Tuesday, but my lights are hung.

First impressions:
  1. Modules are smaller than they look in pictures. They are very thin.
  2. My fans seem like they are blowing air out rather than sucking air in. Maybe I just can't tell which direction the fan is blowing.
  3. The power brick is massive.
  4. The color of the light itself seems softer and more homogenous than my Aqua Illumination fixture.
  5. The spread seems better than than my AI's (used all 70% optics on the AI's)
  6. I've been gone all weekend, so I haven't been able to evaluate coral appearance yet.

Thoughts on possible improvements:
  1. Needs a full, detailed manual. I'm sure this will be on the way as everything probably isn't written in stone as of yet.
  2. The ecosmart software is basically a stable beta. You can see the potential for functionality, but there isn't much that can be done other than setting manual points.
  3. Programming these lights is a hassle. you will need to have access to the front of the light, and plug in your laptop to the light. I recommend getting the longer cable so that you can safely set your laptop down somewhere. I dropped my laptop in the process of switching cables between my 2 different units as one of them needed a direct usb link as it failed to update the firmware wirelessly while i was connected to the other light.
  4. If you have a desktop, you will need a cable long enough to reach your tank or you will need to remove the unit, disconnect it from the power brick, and physically take it to the computer (this can be a hassle). If you have more than one unit, the unit attached to your desktop must be within the wireless range of the of your other units.
  5. This system of needing a direct link to a unit would be much better and easier with something designed to be held in your hands like a tablet or phone. Having the ability to hook up an iPad or iPhone to change settings would be a lot easier to do while standing in front of your tank.
  6. The touch buttons on the units could benefit from being backlit and aided by the use of a backlit LCD screen. The buttons are hard enough to see with some light, they are really, really difficult to see with low lighting. It would be nice if you could touch the LED indicator light to get all of the buttons to light up. They could then stay lit until a minute or so after your last button press. Also, rotating through the settings and increasing/decreasing intensity is completely unintuitive without some sort of visible indicator showing where you are in the cycle. It would be nice to have backlit bars light up or go out as you increase or decrease intensity with the buttons. I haven't had a chance to notice if the LED indicator tells you anything about the on board settings if so, there isn't as much use for a screen. If not, a screen would be greatly appreciated.
  7. I would have preferred a power cable set up similar to that of the AI's. They unplug from the back of the unit. The existing setup probably helped reached the thin aesthetic and also benefits cooling by not having those components in the fixture, but It would be a lot easier to manage/hide the cables as well as make it easier to remove the fixture if it needs to be taken to a desktop if the power cables were removable from the fixture.

All in all I'm very pleased with the lights. I am looking forward to spending more time with them around the middle of this week.
Outstanding review..........

myroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2011, 08:03 PM   #414
edsreef
Registered Member

I got my three up over my 90gal. I'm really glad I got three instead of two! I still have to neaten up the power cables and re-mount the hanging cables tomorrow.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005ws.jpg (74.3 KB, 239 views)
edsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2011, 08:18 PM   #415
edsreef
Registered Member

Oh, by the way. Ecotech really screwed the pooch on the mounting hole dimensions they provided! 5.125" is 130.175mm. See the photo for actual dimensions. I spent a lot of time this morning dremeling out my holes because of this!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001ws.jpg (73.1 KB, 205 views)
edsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2011, 09:15 PM   #416
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

Wow, three huh? Looks great! Have you experienced any problems with the software?

Unread 10/31/2011, 09:55 PM   #417
SkullV
They Got My Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsreef View Post
I got my three up over my 90gal. I'm really glad I got three instead of two! I still have to neaten up the power cables and re-mount the hanging cables tomorrow.
Can you post an FTS with the center fixture turned on and then off?

Be cautious of those willing to share their "knowledge" but not their results.
SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2011, 10:12 AM   #418
SkullV
They Got My Number

Well the beginning, middle, and end of October has come and gone and still my supplier hasn't even received their first shipment. I wish I lived in Australia or something....I'm sure I'll enjoy the lights when they do get here though!

Unread 11/01/2011, 10:26 AM   #419
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

Skull, cancel your order and go to Marinedepot they have them in stock!

Unread 11/01/2011, 10:42 AM   #420
BrklynArch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyforbes2 View Post
Skull, cancel your order and go to Marinedepot they have them in stock!
Yeah man i would def cancel and order thru marine depot
I didnt even pre order.... i put in my order last Friday on a whim and i just got a call from the gf that i got a delivery so there at the house waiting already

BrklynArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2011, 10:48 AM   #421
EcoTech Marine
RC Sponsor

SkullV- who is your supplier?

President
EcoTech Marine
www.ecotechmarine.com

If the above information doesn't help you, please contact us at 1-800-785-0338 ext. 2 or by e-mailing [email]support@ecotech
EcoTech Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2011, 10:54 AM   #422
SkullV
They Got My Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoTech Marine View Post
SkullV- who is your supplier?
Calling you. Just to clarify I'm not upset or anything. Just ancy

It says your voice mailbox has not been set up.

Edit: Just talked to Jonathon

Last edited by SkullV; 11/01/2011 at 10:59 AM.
Unread 11/01/2011, 11:30 AM   #423
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

EcoTech, I have a question. Is it better to hang at 8" and lower the intensity of the light or have the lights at 100%, and hang them higher. I want to slowly acclimate my corals to the new lighting and don't wish to burn any, suggestions?

Unread 11/01/2011, 11:43 AM   #424
Tank2379
Registered Member

SO 1 Radion LED fixture will work fine over a 24"X24"X24" tank and SPS will be fine or do I need 2?

80G Frag system- Powered by 2X MH Pendants with 250W 20K Radiums, DIY S
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2011, 12:09 PM   #425
Brando457
Registered Member

One is fine

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon in wall w/ 75g sump & 40 breeder fuge
Brando457 is offline   Reply With Quote