Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/12/2018, 08:00 PM   #1
nbd13
Registered Member

Returning after 10 years...Top 5 protein skimmers?

Hi,

I've been out of the hobby for almost 10 years now, with my 3 year old son loving Blue planet, the "bug" has got me again. BUT I need help!

Equipment has changed so much! Right before I got out I had a Bubble King skimmer and now I do not even recognize the names of the skimmers anymore.

Can someone please list the top 5 or so protein skimmers? Looking for a decent one so please help!

Thanks,

Nick

nbd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2018, 08:47 PM   #2
bblumberg
Registered Member

Dunno about top 5, but I have used and like Aquamaxx and Lifereef (actually replaced by the Aquamaxx) as well as Tunze for a nano tank. Space in your sump and size of the tank will be important considerations.

Current Tank Info: 150G mixed reef (6x Blue Acro 20K Pro COB LEDs, 4x 80W T5 supplement), 150g fw discus (T5 lighting), 110G fw Angelfish (DIY LED lighting), 4 x 40 g frag tanks (DIY LED).
bblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2018, 10:03 PM   #3
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Royal exclusive
Vertex Alpha
Lifereef
Reef Octopus
Nyos

No particular order. They might not all be in the top 5, but they ring a bell and albeit pretty close.

Unread 12/13/2018, 05:56 AM   #4
nbd13
Registered Member

Thanks guys. The tank will likely be between 120-180 gallons still trying to decide. In the past I used to always oversized the skimmer as I like to keep a heavy fish load.

Nick

nbd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2018, 06:23 AM   #5
ostrow
It's Dr. Goodluck Himself

Nothing beats my ETSS. Nothing close. Some changes in this time have not been for the better!

But you can only get them used now....

Current Tank Info: 156G "brick", 150 sump and 75 fuge replaces Fire, Destruction, Sad :(
ostrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2018, 10:22 AM   #6
tom obrecht
Registered Member

BK is still in my "Top List". I personally have run BK, ATB, Euroreefs, Reef Octopus, Deltec, with a number of others. If you had good luck with Royal Exclusive products in the past I would stick with them. Their quality and performance is still waaay up there! Scott Leif (Slief here on RC) is the USA rep. He is a great guy and will help you in anyway he can. My vote is BK.

Unread 12/13/2018, 10:47 AM   #7
steallife904
Registered Member

I just upgraded to the bubble Magus Curve Elite. Thing is legit. Was skimming first day. Best skimmer I have ever had.

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2018, 06:46 AM   #8
Big E
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbd13 View Post
Hi,

I've been out of the hobby for almost 10 years now, with my 3 year old son loving Blue planet, the "bug" has got me again. BUT I need help!

Equipment has changed so much! Right before I got out I had a Bubble King skimmer and now I do not even recognize the names of the skimmers anymore.

Can someone please list the top 5 or so protein skimmers? Looking for a decent one so please help!

Thanks,

Nick
I'd look into the Aquamaxx skimmers..........perform as well as the high priced internal skimmers. I've got two of them on separate systems.
You can oversize and it won't break the bank.

You may remember me...............I bought your external Deltec from you. If you want similar performance none of the internal skimmers will perform as well.

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2018, 07:29 AM   #9
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrow View Post
Nothing beats my ETSS. Nothing close. Some changes in this time have not been for the better!

But you can only get them used now....
Agree the ETSS skimmers are still the best, but you need a big pressure rated pump to run them. I use an Iwaki 100 RLT on mine.

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Carribean Reef System, ETSS Protein Skimmer, 1.5HP Tradewinds Chiller, Reef Breeders Photon V2+ LED Lighting For The Refugium, Mitra LX7206 LED Lights For Display Tank
Green Chromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2018, 08:08 AM   #10
Joe Kelley
Registered Member

I have to agree with you Ed, I was a sceptic but Aquamaxx cone 2 on 130 gal system works so well. If I had a 180 I"d get the cone 3 and be done with it. I was out of the hobby for 13 years and back then had the big name skimmers. Aquamaxx just works very well IME. Good luck with your tank Nick and enjoy the hobby! HTH

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post
I'd look into the Aquamaxx skimmers..........perform as well as the high priced internal skimmers. I've got two of them on separate systems.
You can oversize and it won't break the bank.

You may remember me...............I bought your external Deltec from you. If you want similar performance none of the internal skimmers will perform as well.

Unread 12/14/2018, 09:20 AM   #11
tvu
Registered Member

I agree with Aquamaxx skimmers.

I’ve had their CO-1 skimmer, Q3 and now FC-280. They’re awesome! Mine have always broken in almost instantly after a quick rinse in faucet water.

On sale at 20% off from Marine Depot makes them a no brainer. Actually I saw the CO-2 version on sale this week.

This is a few days after setup of the FC-280:

My Q3 that’s going on my other tank:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2018, 11:01 AM   #12
heritage
Registered Member

Aquamaxx as well. I ran the q2 on my 125 and now the q3 on my 180 . Hands down the best skimmer I ever used. Its literally set it and forget it.

heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2018, 11:14 AM   #13
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

If your budget is a little tight, Aquamaxx is a good bang for your buck skimmer. If your budget is a little open, go with Bubble King like you had before.

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2018, 09:41 PM   #14
tvu
Registered Member

The Q3 is 25% off right now. Best price I’ve seen it for.

Unread 12/15/2018, 03:47 PM   #15
doradosteve
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvu View Post
The Q3 is 25% off right now. Best price I’ve seen it for.

Who is running that special?

doradosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2018, 05:37 PM   #16
heritage
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doradosteve View Post
Lol.... let me guess, you went and checked the sites like I did?

heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2018, 07:29 PM   #17
tvu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doradosteve View Post

Marine depot is running a few specials.

Unread 12/15/2018, 11:35 PM   #18
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Some things have certainly changed in the last 10 years, though the underlying principles of the skimmer have not. I’d still be using the same skimmer from 10 years ago had I not cleverly broken it. If you’re looking for a serious skimmer, then ETSS, MTC, MRC or lifereef. Otherwise, I don’t think it really matters .... they all look about the same to me.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2018, 08:27 AM   #19
shellsea
Registered Member

Lifereef.

Unread 12/16/2018, 01:43 PM   #20
cali9dub
Registered Member

I have a 180 and am using a Vertex omega 200i and it is awesome. It is WAY underrated and I only run it during the day and shut it down at night and it is phenomenal. When I tried to run it 24/7 it was a nightmare because it’s so efficient. My tank only has 10 or so fish though. If you are going to stock it heavily check out the Vertex. I swapped from an aquamaxx to the vertex because I won it in a raffle and it is a beast...and I LOVED the aqaumaxx. I think this Vertex would handle a 500 gallon tank well stocked !

cali9dub is offline   Reply With Quote