Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/21/2016, 10:37 AM   #226
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuderiaDavis View Post
Well, I've read through every single post and reply on here and still a little confused on what I should do.

First, I have a 90 gal, typical size, and it has been up,and running 4 months now. I initially bought it for a FOWLR, but then started to add some corals. Zoas. Leather. Polyps. And even a plate coral on the sand bed.

According to the data sheet, it can do LPS midway and up and SPS at the top.
My plate coral seems to be doing fine since I got it last month. My purple clove polyps are spreading. Yet, I'm seeing mixed recommendations.

I absolutely love the light and the timer but what should I do here? Should I stay with the the single 48" I have? Should I get another? If I got another, would it affect all of the fish and anemone I have negatively? Would it raise the water temp? (I have a canopy). I want to continue with more sorts and LPS. SPS corals would be nice but not a must. Thanks in advance!!
A 90 gallon aquarium is fairly large. 46, or even 92 watts of LED lighting would be pretty limiting on what corals it can sustain (although possible with correct coral selection and placement). For most hobbyists, a more-powerful LED fixture would be the better and easier option. The MaxSpect Razor recommended previously would be a great option.

MarineDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2016, 06:57 PM   #227
africandreams
Registered Member

Current USA orbit vs Fluval Marine and Reef LED

I have the Fluval M60 23.5 X 16.5 X 15.7. I had been using the stock light fluval marine and reef led for the past 4 months. I was seeing great growth on zoas, Duncan, blasto, acans and had a trachy on the sand bed doing well. I wanted to try some sps and recently added some to the tank. Maybe not such a good idea. I switched to the current usa orbit about a week ago and like the look. Now wondering if this is sufficient?

Current stock.....

Torch coral on sand bed
Hammer coral on sand bed
Trachy on sand bed
Several zoa frags on Bottom rocks
Mushrooms on bottom rocks
Kenya tree on bottom rock
Toadstool on bottom rock
Pom pom xenia on middle rock
Acans on middle rock
Blasto on middle rock
Duncan on middle rock
Alveopora on middle rock
Green bird's nest on top rock
Pink bird's nest on top rock
Goniopora on top rock

The last three mentioned are within six inches of top of water.

Also have a bubble tip anemone that has moved itself to the front middle rocks. A sebae anemone that has moved itself to the bottom rock in the back of the tank where I can't see it well at all. The bubble tip doesn't look as good as I would like not very bulbous, more long tentacle. They do both fee, or the sebae did until it moved out of reach after I accidentally disturbed the rock it was on.

Should this light be sufficient, should I go back to the Fluval marine and reef or run both?

I have been in reef tanks for 6 plus years but the whole light thing still confuses me and this is my first try with sps.

Thanks

Last edited by africandreams; 07/28/2016 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
africandreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2016, 09:36 AM   #228
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Are the anemones fairly new? Or, have you had them for some time? With the anemones, it may have not anything to do with the light at all. Sebae anemones are actually fairly difficult to keep. They often do well for a few months then begin to perish.

As for the lighting, since you have them both we would recommend running them both. You can also dial down the Orbit Marine and allow the tank to acclimate to a higher intensity over the course of a couple of months.

As for SPS, you can start with easier SPS; such as montipora, birdsnest, pocillopora and stylophora corals.

Unread 07/29/2016, 09:53 AM   #229
africandreams
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineDepot View Post
Are the anemones fairly new? Or, have you had them for some time? With the anemones, it may have not anything to do with the light at all. Sebae anemones are actually fairly difficult to keep. They often do well for a few months then begin to perish.

As for the lighting, since you have them both we would recommend running them both. You can also dial down the Orbit Marine and allow the tank to acclimate to a higher intensity over the course of a couple of months.

As for SPS, you can start with easier SPS; such as montipora, birdsnest, pocillopora and stylophora corals.

Yes, the bubble tip is less than a month and the sebae maybe two weeks. My first try with anemones as well. The polyps seem to be fully extended on the bird's nest. I have had them about a month. The Goniopora extends well on half the side but only a little on the other. I just moved it up a few inches a few days ago and that seems to be helping a little. I understand that is a hard coral to keep, I was not aware of that when I bought it. My mistake for not being sure. I knew it by the name flower pot coral and didn't realize Goniopora was the same thing.

The orbit is set at 100% white and blue lights right now for 10 hours. The blue lights come on 2 hours before the white and stay on two hours after the white hours off. Then it goes to moonlight only for 4 hours, then dark. Can I leave The orbit set the way it is and just run the blue lights on the Fluval or would that not be enough?

africandreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2016, 10:43 AM   #230
MarineDepot
Sponsor

That should be fine. Just watch how the corals reactor. Perhaps, start the Fluval at just 2 hours per day and increase the photoperiod by 30 minutes each week.

Unread 10/07/2016, 04:17 PM   #231
ziczac
Registered Member

Hello, I'm totally new to the hobby and interested in purchasing this light for my tank. My question is which size would be suitable. My tank is 36 inches long and 25 inches tall. Right now I have 4 anemones (3 LTA and 1 BTA) and a couple of fishes. I'm using a cheap LED (rookies mistake) with no brand name and have noticed the anemones do not look healthy. Would the 36-48 inch fixture work better for my tank? Thank you!

ziczac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2016, 04:29 PM   #232
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziczac View Post
Hello, I'm totally new to the hobby and interested in purchasing this light for my tank. My question is which size would be suitable. My tank is 36 inches long and 25 inches tall. Right now I have 4 anemones (3 LTA and 1 BTA) and a couple of fishes. I'm using a cheap LED (rookies mistake) with no brand name and have noticed the anemones do not look healthy. Would the 36-48 inch fixture work better for my tank? Thank you!
Hello ziczac,

The Current USA Orbit Marine is a great fixture, however for your size aquarium you would definitely want to go with something a little stronger if planning to keep anemones as they do love light. The Current USA Orbit Marine does good in shallow tanks when it comes to light demanding live stock. Please consider the Current USA Orbit Marine Pro, or even a couple of AI Primes, or AI Twenty Six HD fixtures.

Unread 10/08/2016, 01:46 PM   #233
ziczac
Registered Member

Quote:
Hello ziczac,

The Current USA Orbit Marine is a great fixture, however for your size aquarium you would definitely want to go with something a little stronger if planning to keep anemones as they do love light. The Current USA Orbit Marine does good in shallow tanks when it comes to light demanding live stock. Please consider the Current USA Orbit Marine Pro, or even a couple of AI Primes, or AI Twenty Six HD fixtures.
Hi MarineDepot,

Thank you for the quick response. I remeasured the tank and it is actually 22" tall (instead of 25"). Do I still need to purchase the Pro fixture? If so, would I be able to place the anemones anywhere in the tank or they need to be toward the top?

Another question regarding the Current USA Orbit Marine Pro. I saw a couple of reviews on your website saying the fixture broke after only a couple months and the company is very hard to get in touch with for warranty of the light. Does Marine Depot provide any additional warranty or allow exchange if the product breaks within it one year warranty?

Thank you!

ziczac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2016, 11:11 AM   #234
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziczac View Post
Hi MarineDepot,

Thank you for the quick response. I remeasured the tank and it is actually 22" tall (instead of 25"). Do I still need to purchase the Pro fixture? If so, would I be able to place the anemones anywhere in the tank or they need to be toward the top?

Another question regarding the Current USA Orbit Marine Pro. I saw a couple of reviews on your website saying the fixture broke after only a couple months and the company is very hard to get in touch with for warranty of the light. Does Marine Depot provide any additional warranty or allow exchange if the product breaks within it one year warranty?

Thank you!
Hello ziczac,

Anemones like moderate to high light. The Current USA Orbit Marine fixture is great in many instances but when it comes to anemones you would have to have them almost at the top. If you would like to stick to the Current USA brand the Current USA Orbit Marine Pro would be better suited for your needs.

We offer a 60 day return time frame for new and unused items. If there are any issues with the product being defective you would go through the manufacturer for warranty support. We can assist you on reaching out to them if you are having issues getting in contact with them.

If you have any additional questions on this product or similar products that you are considering please contact us directly at (800) 566-3474 or email us at customercare@marinedepot.com

Unread 10/25/2016, 05:51 PM   #235
jsiker
Registered Member

Has anyone purchased the new Current USA IC Loop LED light yet?

I received mine last week and I'm still working on adjusting things. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what the red and green channels should be set to. I think I put them at 10% each just so I wouldn't burn anything out, just in case.

I upgraded from the Current Marine Satelite lights (3) to the 72" IC Loop LED.

Just hoping someone out here has any thoughts for setting the different channels for mixed corals and anemones.

jsiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2016, 09:44 AM   #236
ScuderiaDavis
Registered Member

Quote:
A 90 gallon aquarium is fairly large. 46, or even 92 watts of LED lighting would be pretty limiting on what corals it can sustain (although possible with correct coral selection and placement). For most hobbyists, a more-powerful LED fixture would be the better and easier option. The MaxSpect Razor recommended previously would be a great option.
I got rid of the regular Current fixture and opted to buy the two Pro fixtures.

I have the blue channel at 100% and the white channel around 35%.

Will having the white channel down around that level affect corals at all? I have mostly zoas and LPS (torches plates and buttons) and a few birdsnest up high. Could I keep it there or should I bump it up a bit?

ScuderiaDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2016, 12:52 PM   #237
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsiker View Post
Has anyone purchased the new Current USA IC Loop LED light yet?

I received mine last week and I'm still working on adjusting things. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what the red and green channels should be set to. I think I put them at 10% each just so I wouldn't burn anything out, just in case.

I upgraded from the Current Marine Satelite lights (3) to the 72" IC Loop LED.

Just hoping someone out here has any thoughts for setting the different channels for mixed corals and anemones.
Hello jsiker,

Normally the main channels that are used in a reef aquarium are blues and whites. Any additional channels are added to enhance and accent the colors of the corals. Having the reds and greens turned down would be fine.

Unread 10/27/2016, 12:56 PM   #238
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuderiaDavis View Post
I got rid of the regular Current fixture and opted to buy the two Pro fixtures.

I have the blue channel at 100% and the white channel around 35%.

Will having the white channel down around that level affect corals at all? I have mostly zoas and LPS (torches plates and buttons) and a few birdsnest up high. Could I keep it there or should I bump it up a bit?
Hello ScuderiaDavis,

By keeping the white channel so low, it is not providing all the PAR needed or the correct balanced spectrum for photosynthesis. Increase the whites slowly over the course of time. Observe the corals, soft and LPS corals will stretch to the light if they are not getting enough light. If you notice the corals stretching for the light, turn up the white channel.

Unread 11/06/2016, 05:58 PM   #239
Gdubb
Registered Member

I have a 60x18x24 that at this time I plan on just a FOWLR, will one of the 48-62 will be adequate for this application?

Thanks!

Gdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2016, 09:52 AM   #240
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdubb View Post
I have a 60x18x24 that at this time I plan on just a FOWLR, will one of the 48-62 will be adequate for this application?

Thanks!
Hello Gdubb,

When it comes to a Fish Only system the light is used so that you can see your fish, and so that the fish have a day and night cycle. With the 48"-60" light fixture, the light itself is only 48", but its legs can be extended to accommodate a 60" aquarium. It would ultimately be preference. You can purchase a single light fixture, then add a second one if needed.

Unread 01/23/2017, 09:38 AM   #241
Dussumeiri
Registered Member

Would 2 of the 48-60 fixture be enough to light a 120x 30x 30 FOWLR tank?
Thanks!

Dussumeiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2017, 10:57 AM   #242
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussumeiri View Post
Would 2 of the 48-60 fixture be enough to light a 120x 30x 30 FOWLR tank?
Thanks!
Nice tank! 30x30 is quite a large area for 1 fixture to illuminate. We would recommend 4 fixtures.

Unread 01/23/2017, 10:59 AM   #243
Dussumeiri
Registered Member

Thanks!

Dussumeiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2017, 02:27 PM   #244
LSBEES
Registered Member

Loop IC 40-60 Addition

I have a 80G TrueVu tank 48 * 15 * 24 and purchased the 48" Loop IC light and controller along with the wave pumps and return pump. The system looks and works great and I was told it would work great for corals and anemones. Now looking at other posts here I am beginning to get concerned. Should I look at a second light fixture (how much does the add on cost? I haven't found it) or should I look at a different supplemental light? I really like the automatic timer and the ramping of sunrise / sunset and the random cloud effect and don't want to loose that.

LSBEES is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2017, 08:59 AM   #245
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSBEES View Post
I have a 80G TrueVu tank 48 * 15 * 24 and purchased the 48" Loop IC light and controller along with the wave pumps and return pump. The system looks and works great and I was told it would work great for corals and anemones. Now looking at other posts here I am beginning to get concerned. Should I look at a second light fixture (how much does the add on cost? I haven't found it) or should I look at a different supplemental light? I really like the automatic timer and the ramping of sunrise / sunset and the random cloud effect and don't want to loose that.
24" is a bit deep for just one fixture. One would be enough if you are just looking at softies, but any LPS, SPS, or anemones would need to be placed pretty high up in your rock work. I would recommend setting up a second light as it would give you a lot more freedom in the types of corals you will be able to get as well as where you can place them.

Unread 06/30/2017, 11:41 AM   #246
krshlln300
Registered Member

I am setting up a 20gallon long- planning on keeping mainly softies and lps, and hope to try a bubble tip- would the 24-36" IC led be sufficient light for these corals and anemone?

30 x 12 x 12?

krshlln300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2017, 03:35 PM   #247
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by krshlln300 View Post
I am setting up a 20gallon long- planning on keeping mainly softies and lps, and hope to try a bubble tip- would the 24-36" IC led be sufficient light for these corals and anemone?

30 x 12 x 12?
Thank your question. The Orbit Marine IC would be sufficient for the livestock you are interested in keeping since it is a shallow aquarium. Happy 4th of July!

Tags
current usa, led, lighting, orbit marine