Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/20/2013, 05:34 PM   #1
stokedsurfer
Registered Member

Diy canopy for 75 gallon

Was wondering if anyone had a how to in making a canopy for a 75 gallon tank, trying to make one so that i can insert my light fixture in it and to make it look nicer with doors on the front for access...please if anyone has pictures for reference id appreciate it.

stokedsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

tagging along

Unread 01/26/2013, 10:48 AM   #3
redfishblewfish
Registered Member

Here’s the abridged version of my canopy build for a five foot 90 gallon tank. I was looking for a simple design that allowed full access to the tank that wouldn’t cost a lot. No fancy molding, just simple…and painted black. Materials were inexpensive fir stripping and ¼ inch exterior plywood.

Instead of using 2 x 2’s, which are commonly used in canopies, I made “L” brackets out of inexpensive fir stripping. The primary reason is strength over five foot, but also for overall weight….these are lighter:

This “L” bracket is more stable than a five foot 2 x 2. I’ll use these on the two top braces of the canopy.

With these “L” brackets installed, here is the carcass of the canopy….using the end pieces from the original temporary canopy.

On the front lower frame member I attached a strip of 1/16 acrylic, jutting down a half inch. This will hit the front glass of the tank and keep the canopy from sliding back.

Primed the box with Kilz….here it is upside down without the door:

And here’s the door with the hinges set:

And finally, here’s the canopy on the tank with the lights installed, and the door open:

And the door closed:

redfishblewfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2013, 11:14 AM   #4
jackde
Old dog and new tricks

Here is canopy for a 75 I'm working on.

Stand can be seen here. http://s1069.photobucket.com/albums/...stand%20build/

Current Tank Info: 56 gal. mixed reef
jackde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2013, 11:21 AM   #5
no694terry
Registered Member

look aroung for a construction material recycle store. theres one here in pittsburgh and you can find huge old base fancy cut board real cheap cause theres always just a couple peices of each. i just flip it upside down put a lid on it and walla

no694terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2016, 02:28 PM   #6
JhBb12711
Registered Member

Jackd I love the stand and canopy do you happen to have the measurements thanks

JhBb12711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2016, 02:29 PM   #7
JhBb12711
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JhBb12711 View Post
Jackde I love the stand and canopy do you happen to have the measurements thanks

JhBb12711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2016, 08:32 PM   #8
Idoc
Awaiting Email Confirmation

[QUOTE=redfishblewfish;21104616]Instead of using 2 x 2’s, which are commonly used in canopies, I made “L” brackets out of inexpensive fir stripping. The primary reason is strength over five foot, but also for overall weight….these are lighter"

I like that "L" idea!

Idoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2016, 08:33 PM   #9
Idoc
Awaiting Email Confirmation

[QUOTE=jackde;21104701]Here is canopy for a 75 I'm working on.

Nice stand! I'm in the process of getting ready to build one as well for a 75g! Like the pics!

Idoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2018, 03:43 PM   #10
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishblewfish View Post
here’s the abridged version of my canopy build for a five foot 90 gallon tank. I was looking for a simple design that allowed full access to the tank that wouldn’t cost a lot. No fancy molding, just simple…and painted black. Materials were inexpensive fir stripping and ¼ inch exterior plywood.

Instead of using 2 x 2’s, which are commonly used in canopies, i made “l” brackets out of inexpensive fir stripping. The primary reason is strength over five foot, but also for overall weight….these are lighter:

this “l” bracket is more stable than a five foot 2 x 2. I’ll use these on the two top braces of the canopy.

With these “l” brackets installed, here is the carcass of the canopy….using the end pieces from the original temporary canopy.

on the front lower frame member i attached a strip of 1/16 acrylic, jutting down a half inch. This will hit the front glass of the tank and keep the canopy from sliding back.

primed the box with kilz….here it is upside down without the door:

and here’s the door with the hinges set:

and finally, here’s the canopy on the tank with the lights installed, and the door open:

and the door closed:

how tall is your canopy?

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2018, 07:14 PM   #11
redfishblewfish
Registered Member

Canopy height is 17 3/4 inches.

redfishblewfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2018, 09:45 AM   #12
jd371
Registered Member

I went with the KISS method and just mad a box out of 1 x 10's with 1 x 3's for the molding. To support the Aquatic Life fixture inside I nailed two 1 x 2's along the bottom edge for the fixture to rest on. Installed a power strip inside to keep all the wires associated with the lighting enclosed and the only wire hanging off the back now is the single cord for the power strip. Hung it from the ceiling joist and done floating canopy!

jd371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2018, 08:11 PM   #13
gary504504
Registered Member

I have a floating style canopy built locally that has t5 retro and room for two led units i used ghl mitras but it can be used with radions,hydras etc,great wire management and its 4 ft long by 22 wide i believe and about 4 to 5 inches deep, it was over a redsea 350 then i upgraded and its in the closet,sell it dirt cheap if your willing to pay to ship it,ill almost give it away, 48 inch t5 retros are mounted in it and work, bulbs are like new ati bulbs but i removed the leds to use on another system, i even have the hanging wires and the extra unopened wires i didn't use so you can hang it from the ceiling, if interested

Current Tank Info: 130 gal sps tank
gary504504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2018, 08:13 PM   #14
gary504504
Registered Member

Kinda like jd371 canopy above but a lower profile,its black,but im sure it can be refinished in any stain you like

Current Tank Info: 130 gal sps tank
gary504504 is offline   Reply With Quote