Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/26/2016, 07:35 AM   #1
RDuhb
Registered Member

Coralline Algae on Corner Overflow

I picked up a 125 off Craigslist. Tank is in great shape but it has a lot of coralline on the overflows. Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove it? Vinegar didn't work. I'd actually like to replace the overflows, but I can't find anyplace online that sells them. Any help would be appreciated.

Unread 09/26/2016, 08:21 AM   #2
LJLKRL
Registered Member

Muriatic acid and water. 10% acid and 90% water. Spray it on with a spray bottle and watch it bubble. Rinse it off with water and repeat until it is gone. Once finished rinse the tank well with water. I just did this on my 210.
Be careful of the mist and vapors, best to do it outside in a well ventilated area.

LJLKRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2016, 09:01 AM   #3
RDuhb
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback. Did the acid discolor the overflow after removing the coralline?

Unread 09/26/2016, 09:44 AM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Just get some paper towels and vinegar. Lay the tank on it's back. Soak the paper towels in the vinegar and lay them over the overflow. Let them sit for 10-20 minutes and the coraline should come right off with a soft scrub brush. You can also use a credit card to remove the coraline. Alternatively, just put the vinegar in a spray bottle and spray it on and let it sit for a little bit.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2016, 10:08 AM   #5
LJLKRL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDuhb View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Did the acid discolor the overflow after removing the coralline?
I think the coralline stained the overflow more than anything. I could still see the spots where it was. I tried white vinegar and it was working, I was impatient though. The tank was filthy when I go it.
Do like Slief says and see how it works, Vinegar should do it, but the acid will remove the coralline in minutes.
I even used it on some lock line I got with the tank. Made it look brand new and it swivels perfectly.

Unread 09/26/2016, 11:03 AM   #6
Anthony357
Registered Member

would it be bad to just leave it on there when starting up a new tank? seeing as its going to get coraline on it anyways?

Anthony357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2016, 11:07 AM   #7
LJLKRL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony357 View Post
would it be bad to just leave it on there when starting up a new tank? seeing as its going to get coraline on it anyways?
It is dead so it will come off in time in the tank.

Unread 09/26/2016, 02:51 PM   #8
RDuhb
Registered Member

I'll give the vinegar another try. This time I'll really let it soak.

Unread 09/28/2016, 09:48 AM   #9
RDuhb
Registered Member

Ok, so vinegar and a razor scraper did the trick. But the glass is stained where the coralline was. It doesn't appear to be coming off with vinegar. Has the coralline permanently etched the glass?

Unread 09/28/2016, 10:14 AM   #10
ktownhero
Registered Member

Personally I would have just left it... We all work toward getting coralline coverage any way. Worst case scenario was that it would die off a bit and help your tank cycle. Best case scenario is that some of it perks back up and seeds the tank. Either way you'd have been fine!

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2016, 10:48 AM   #11
RDuhb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
Personally I would have just left it... We all work toward getting coralline coverage any way. Worst case scenario was that it would die off a bit and help your tank cycle. Best case scenario is that some of it perks back up and seeds the tank. Either way you'd have been fine!

Thanks, but at this point just wondering if I can clean the glass or are those stains permanent.

Unread 09/28/2016, 10:55 AM   #12
jeff240gallon
Registered Member

I used Windex and it took it right off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeff240gallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2016, 11:26 AM   #13
LJLKRL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDuhb View Post
Ok, so vinegar and a razor scraper did the trick. But the glass is stained where the coralline was. It doesn't appear to be coming off with vinegar. Has the coralline permanently etched the glass?
I had no luck in getting 100% of the coralline marks off the glass on the tank I bought. It is on the back glass mainly so I will let it get covered over again. I tried white vinegar and then a muriatic acid/water solution.

Unread 09/28/2016, 01:23 PM   #14
RDuhb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJLKRL View Post
I had no luck in getting 100% of the coralline marks off the glass on the tank I bought. It is on the back glass mainly so I will let it get covered over again. I tried white vinegar and then a muriatic acid/water solution.
Thanks! Just like yours, mine is on the back. It's not a big deal. I'm just glad I was able to get all of the dried dead coralline off the glass. The overflows, however, are a different story. I think it will be harder to scrap coralline off plastic than glass. And I don't think I want try the acid. But anyway, thanks again for the feedback!!

Unread 09/28/2016, 07:37 PM   #15
xCry0x
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
It doesn't typically work that way - if the tank had been out of water for time the coralline algae turns into white crust - similar to a dead coral.

When I got my tank I ran the entire system with vinegar/tap water for a few days while working off the dead coralline algae. It took a few days w/ a credit card scraping away to get it all.

Then I drained it and rinsed it out a few times.

xCry0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2016, 09:26 PM   #16
meverha1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCry0x View Post
It doesn't typically work that way - if the tank had been out of water for time the coralline algae turns into white crust - similar to a dead coral.
My situation is similar to the OP's. I got a great deal on a used tank but the overflow and some of the glass is covered in coralline. I figured that the glass wouldn't be a huge deal but the plastic overflow might.

I was planning to scrape off as much as possible (probably all of it from the glass) and just cycle the tank. Assuming I run a filter sock and skimmer in my sump during the cycle wouldn't that take care of any of the crust/dust that falls off the overflow?

meverha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2020, 09:28 PM   #17
bluemonster7
Registered Member

Dead coralline on corner overflow

So what do you do if your tank is already up and running and there is still dead coralline that hasn’t come off?

bluemonster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2020, 09:49 PM   #18
mcozad829
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonster7 View Post
So what do you do if your tank is already up and running and there is still dead coralline that hasn’t come off?
Is it on a plastic overflow or glass?

Unread 03/10/2020, 01:41 AM   #19
H2oGarden
Registered Member

Vinegar and credit card works for me on just about all CA

H2oGarden is offline   Reply With Quote