Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/19/2018, 09:10 AM   #1
Planetmacro
Registered Member

PNG A. percula

I was very lucky to find WC A. perculas from PNG at my wholesaler who imports all fish direct from the collectors. Only three came in and I purchased two hoping to pair them. As they were the same size and one was very aggressive, I regretted not buying the third specimen but even at the wholesale price they were very expensive. After three months of separation and conditioning, I moved the 'pair' to a tank containing three H. magnificas. The 'pair' bonded within an hour and stopped showing aggression towards each other. Now, after six weeks in the anemones, one fish is notably larger than the other. The barring on these percs is remarkable although the black has faded which I attribute to association with magnifica. In any of the three carpet species I believe these fish would show much more black.

Planetmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2018, 09:12 AM   #2
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Pic 1

Last edited by Planetmacro; 06/01/2019 at 05:44 AM.
Unread 10/19/2018, 09:19 AM   #3
Planetmacro
Registered Member

pic 2

Last edited by Planetmacro; 06/01/2019 at 05:44 AM.
Unread 10/19/2018, 09:24 AM   #4
WatDatThing
Registered Member

Congrat! What is special about WC A percula? I know nothing about them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2018, 11:09 AM   #5
Planetmacro
Registered Member

I first bred A. percula collected on the reefs off Biak Island in 1991. Biak is a tiny island off the north west coast of Papua New Guinea. The specimens were spectacular and had the natural coloration of what is known today in the hobby as Onyx clowns. I reared over 300 fish to an inch in length and distributed them throughout the Greater New York City area. There was no money in breeding clownfish at the time since wild caught fish were very inexpensive and there were literally no restriction on collecting reef fishes. Since then I've breed several species of clownish but never on a commercial scale. The one thing I noted back in 1991 and still see today is that captive bred clownish are all defective in one way or another, be it misbarring, misaligned jaws, misshaped heads and/or bodies and somewhat of a bulldog appearance to the face. Captive raised A. latezonatus as an example are grossly deformed fish. It is my observation that most hobbyist are not very discriminent and appear to seek the most bizarre colors, shapes and patterns that breeder can come up with through selective breeding and hybridization. All good. To each his own. But what is causing the deformities? Not inbreeding, of that I'm certain as the aberrations show up in F1 fish. No one has been able to provide a satisfactory theory.
So, now that I have the time I've decided to find the missing components to raising perfect captive raise clownfish. This is why I am locating wild caught broodstock with exceptional bars and colors. I expect that the present pair of perculas will begin spawning in a few months. I plan to keep meticulous records on the project with the goal of raising natural looking clowns indistinguishable from wild caught specimens when observed side by side. During the past 50 plus years I have bred and raised hundreds of species, mostly fresh water and a few marine and have always used wild caught fish (F0) for my projects. Rarely have I seen defective F1s and any deformed fry have been immediately culled. I will post my progress on Reef Central.

Unread 10/19/2018, 11:37 AM   #6
WatDatThing
Registered Member

Now I understand why you are stoke about your new acquisition. With regarding to deformity, a good breeder would do multiple stages of culling. The only reason why we see deformed fish for sale is because some breeders are greedy.

Good luck with your project. I used to breed discus and flowerhorn. It was a lot of fun.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2018, 01:28 PM   #7
MarinaP
Registered Member

Love them.

Unread 10/19/2018, 07:16 PM   #8
tonysi
Registered Member

Beautiful clowns! I love colors of them. Any plans on breeding them?

tonysi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2018, 08:26 PM   #9
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Yes I plan on breeding them but I'll be moving soon so it will take some time.

Unread 10/20/2018, 11:27 AM   #10
Dan
Registered Member

Back when I lived in the East during the 90's and 2000's, there was an LFS in N.J. that imported those Biak percula clowns pretty regularly. Nicest colors, first in class. They stopped bringing them in, but I kept a number of pairs over the years, some well beyond 10. Very hardy. I wouldn't have considered mine onyx. They never got that black dorsal fine, but always retained the orange on top and surrounding areas. Always quite nice colors. Photos are of some when I first bought them (E&B) and then years later (G&H). Not all the same pairs (didn't keep track that closely), but the color changes were always the same. Count me in for some when you are rearing. Very nice.

Dan

Current Tank Info: 90 and 45 gallons

Last edited by Dan; 10/20/2018 at 11:40 AM.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2018, 01:25 PM   #11
Dan
Registered Member

To me, the deformities of CB fish are terrible. I can live with the mis-barring, although I would not buy them. To each his/her own. But the deformed jaws are just unacceptable. I think the cause is the small footprint that the larvae and fry are raised in. They are constantly biting one another. It is instinct with clownfish. When I was raising some clowns, I used a wide, shallow tank. That reduced the probability that the larvae/fry would come into contact with one another. Had only a few of those deformities. If I ever tried again, I'd probably build a 4 x 8 plywood bottom tank with 6 inch acrylic sides and add a lot of "fry grass" to the bottom and floating on the top. Something to give the larvae and fry places to hide and reduce interactions. They tend to congregate at the bottom and at the surface, so why have a lot of room in between. Just thinking out loud. Good luck with your PNG percs.

Current Tank Info: 90 and 45 gallons
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2018, 01:54 PM   #12
Apercula
Registered Member

The male from my old pair was wild caught from PNG, back around 2008/2009 when they were importing a lot of PNG fish. I bought 5 from Live Aquaria, and made 3 pairs, with my existing female. I had plans to try breeding, but that fell through.

Female of unknown origin, male from PNG.

A couple of the other PNG percs.

Apercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2018, 04:35 PM   #13
MarinaP
Registered Member

Mine back in 2004. 2 pairs in qt. I hope newcomers note the difference between wc and sad cb these days

Unread 10/20/2018, 04:55 PM   #14
davocean
Registered Member

Like any animal it depends on breeder.
My Donisreef picasso's were perfect, and my present picasso's as well, just gotta be patient and picky, know what to look for.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2018, 07:41 AM   #15
OrionN
Moved on

All the TR Percula clown fish have small to tiny pelvic fins and most,if not all, have small dorsal fins. davocean’s pair above is nice but still do not deviated from this observation.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2018, 08:37 AM   #16
rc4kinu
Registered Member

Great find Planetmacro! WC vs CB side by side comparison, you can really pick out the abnormalities of CB specimens. We have to remember that the WC specimens we see are the end result of natural selection. They have won nature's lotto into adulthood since most don't make it that far. They represent the best of their kind. CB's on the other hand have the breeder's helping hand helping them along the way. Even through culling, the number of abnormal fish that make it through is quite significant than we would normally see in the ocean.

rc4kinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2018, 08:40 AM   #17
davocean
Registered Member

I honestly have not noticed or even looked for that, but I will be looking and comparing pelvic fins

I don't mean to derail OP's post, just touching base on the tb/wc issue, and I agree, we've been polluted w/ deformed clowns, back yard breeders and people that may not be aware of what to look for and just seeking cheap priced clowns.

Bulldog faces and under/overbites seem everywhere, but there are some quality breeders of nice clowns, designer or otherwise if you seek them out.

OP's are beautiful and so is the mag hosting them!

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2018, 12:11 AM   #18
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Nice clowns. SI-PNG Onyx clowns are my favorite but nobody seems to be importing from there at the moment. Curious how your wholesaler was able obtain some from PNG. There's a chance that yours were collected from southern part of Indonesia (at least that's where most, if not all, WC true percs are coming from currently). This opinion is based on my recent conversations with a wholesaler who used to have a collection station in SI and retailer who sells WC A. Percula clowns.
Here are some SI-PNG Onyx clowns I've owned...some passed during moving while others died due to stray voltage in the new house...sadly.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2018, 12:26 AM   #19
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Here is an example of an aberrant WC A. Percula from Indonesia sold by BZA this past June. It looks like one of your clowns

This is probably closest to perfect TR percula I've ever owned. Bred by ORA and now resides in TX in H. Magnifica.

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 10/25/2018 at 12:36 AM.
CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2018, 05:29 PM   #20
AD87
Registered Member

Keep us posted on breeding.

H Magnificia or bust.
AD87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2018, 08:47 AM   #21
ezhoops
Registered Member

I had and miss my Rod's pair. I also had a nice pair from IBluewater. female WC and Male CB.
I plan to someday get another nice pair for breeding.

My LFS has a beautiful pair, the female is an easy 4" Not kidding

Current Tank Info: Working on 60 cube, sicce 3.0 return pump, 29 gal sump with fuge,Bubble Magnus NAC6 Skimmer, Aquaticlife 4 bulb T-5 VHO, 29gal Rare Clown breeding
ezhoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2018, 06:42 PM   #22
Reeff
Registered Member

I noticed you have a eye for clownfish. I'm in process of getting my 110 gallon cycled and want to get 4 clownfish. Pairs...

Any suggestions on where best to find premium grade?

Reeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2018, 06:18 PM   #23
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Sorry I took so long to respond. Have no idea where to get clowns of this quality retail. I have a very good friend at a wholesale operation. He knows what I like and lets me order direct from the collectors. This week I got awesome Red Sea bicinctus and Marshall Islands A. tricinctus. Someone mentioned the big LFS in New Jersey. I think it was called Absolutely Fish. He used to offer incredible pairs of the most beautiful wild caught Onyx percs I have ever seen. They came from Biak Island off the north east coast of Papua New Guinea. Now almost all the stores sell only deformed designer clown. My hatchery is up and running. I currently have many pairs of 8 species but will try to have most of the available species eventually. Trying hard to get wild caught latezonatus again.

Unread 12/05/2018, 06:26 PM   #24
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Definitely from PNG. The collector does not ship often. He is very expensive but well worth it.

Unread 12/25/2018, 12:13 PM   #25
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Here is a video of my PNG perculas. This pairing did not work and I eventually paired these two with small percs. The females are now mature and very fat. Can't wait for the first spawns. https://youtu.be/3b7LgdbNy4Q