Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/11/2020, 12:37 PM   #1676
smklaw
Registered Member

Had one of mine stop working a few months ago and sent to Kessil for repair, but after having it for almost 2 months they say its not repairable as it overheated as the effected parts are in epoxy. $900 for 3 yrs is not good enough. Trying something else on the new build and will use the other AP700 on quarantine or refugium.

Current Tank Info: 160 corner, 225 and currently planning/pricing 325-400
smklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2020, 05:47 AM   #1677
vinstr
Premium Member

No power outage and I have reset it..its still blinking. Thanks for the reply though

-Proverbs 12:10

Current Tank Info: 120g reef
vinstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2020, 06:02 AM   #1678
symon_say
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smklaw View Post
Had one of mine stop working a few months ago and sent to Kessil for repair, but after having it for almost 2 months they say its not repairable as it overheated as the effected parts are in epoxy. $900 for 3 yrs is not good enough. Trying something else on the new build and will use the other AP700 on quarantine or refugium.
Did you verify if the fan is working?

ICH is overrated...

Current Tank Info: Designing a 200G
symon_say is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2020, 11:51 AM   #1679
smklaw
Registered Member

The fan turns on and the status light changes from red to green when you hit the power button. It even goes into blinking pairing mode, but never any lights on. Seems crazy that its just garbage now. I will definitely be looking at repairable lights in the future as I find this completely unacceptable.

Current Tank Info: 160 corner, 225 and currently planning/pricing 325-400
smklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2021, 12:11 PM   #1680
gokhantiknaz
Registered Member

Hi all. I Just bougth ap700 today.
I'm using 6x24 T5 bulbs and 90 Watt Blue+Royal Blue Led Bars. Hybrid.

What you guys recommend for acclimination program? and after acclimination.

My tank is Innovative Marin Lagoon 50. 30" L x 24" W x 16" H And Sps Dominant tank.

gokhantiknaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2021, 09:55 AM   #1681
JoeTSI
Registered Member

Recently had one of mine die. Upon disection one of the circuit board components fried (smells lovely) and it seems upon reading others that the life expectancy is about three years for these as this one was 3.5 years old. Bought a replacement since I didn't want to drop 800x2 for the AP9X and want to research what I want to replace them with later in the year. Have two over a 6 ft tank, along with 54" T5 supplemental lighting.

Unread 02/28/2021, 03:28 PM   #1682
Scuba Mike
Registered Member

Cannot connect to App

Can't Connect. i'm too impatient to read all 51 pages, maybe someone can offer help?

I have 2 new to me AP700's. I have upgraded Firmware on both, I can see both on my Android phone and tablet, I can connect to both on the android devices but I cannot get the app to see the connection. I have tried setting my phone to full power mode, turned off mobile data, turned off my 5g from my router, flashed both, reset both per instructions and still no luck?

Any suggestions please?

Mike

Scuba Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2021, 06:13 PM   #1683
Scuba Mike
Registered Member

So, just tried it with the Wife's iPhone and wham, set right up. Now I am at her mercy to use her phone.....LOL

Unread 03/04/2021, 10:20 AM   #1684
Scuba Mike
Registered Member

After speaking with Kessill it turns out that in addition to turning off mobile data, reseting the light, reseting the app, turning off power saving mode, and turning ON locations services in the settings / apps / Kessill section I was able to connect. Kessill said that with the newer version of the Android app location services need to be on. I don't remember if it asked during install or not, but I usually deny location access, why would Kessill need to know where I am?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Unread 03/05/2021, 08:22 AM   #1685
mrx66699
Registered Member

Are we allowed to ask....is anyone looking for a kessil ap700. Been so long since I used RC and I saw this post for Ap700 users.....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Life is the slowest form of suicide!
mrx66699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2021, 02:37 PM   #1686
Scuba Mike
Registered Member

Connection Resolution

Well after several phone calls back and forth it turns out that in my case the android device had to have Location Services turned on, and also allow the app to use location services. This was under Settings>Apps>Kessill>App Info>Permissions>location allowed. Settings>location MUST be turned on as well. I also HAD to turn OFF Mobile Data. At least that is how it worked for me, Android, Galaxy 9 Note Android version 10

Mike

Unread 03/14/2021, 12:21 PM   #1687
CTaylor
Registered Member

control ap700 via new apex?

Hi
I searched this thread (search function in forum) and I couldnt find anyone talkiing about yes or no an ap700 can be controlled by a 2020 or newer apex (?). Can it? or is it still just on/of and nothing else? If it can control it totally, does it need a module? I'm totally new to apex. I'm 99% chance about to order one :-D
Thanks guys! and girls

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2021, 12:51 AM   #1688
minus9
Registered Member

No, it can't be controlled via an apex, only the app or onboard controls. The only Kessil's that can be controlled are the older models, 160, 360n & we.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2021, 06:24 AM   #1689
gavij012379
Registered Member

Has anyone replaced their AP700 because their usable life is over considering that the light came out 6 years ago? The reason I am asking is because I got two used AP700 with a 180 gallon tank in March 2020. I moved all my corals that were under T5s to this new setup and lost all my sps in 4-5 months. This I attributed to new lighting, trying to increase the intensity too quickly, alkalinity swing etc. But since then my parameters are more stable and I am still killing sps even at 50% in the corner of 24" deep tank (No PE, loss of color and tissue loss). I have tried adding sps multiple times. I don't have any sps but my anemones are doing just fine and most of my lps as well.
I am beginning to think if it is time to replace the light so just wondering if anyone has replaced their AP700 because a loss in performance.

gavij012379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2021, 10:14 AM   #1690
minus9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavij012379 View Post
Has anyone replaced their AP700 because their usable life is over considering that the light came out 6 years ago? The reason I am asking is because I got two used AP700 with a 180 gallon tank in March 2020. I moved all my corals that were under T5s to this new setup and lost all my sps in 4-5 months. This I attributed to new lighting, trying to increase the intensity too quickly, alkalinity swing etc. But since then my parameters are more stable and I am still killing sps even at 50% in the corner of 24" deep tank (No PE, loss of color and tissue loss). I have tried adding sps multiple times. I don't have any sps but my anemones are doing just fine and most of my lps as well.
I am beginning to think if it is time to replace the light so just wondering if anyone has replaced their AP700 because a loss in performance.

How did you acclimate the coral to the lighting change? Also, micro swings in parameters can cause issues, but the consequences could be delayed by weeks, sometimes months. Did you use a par meter when making the change? Running them at 50% seems really low to me, especially in that size tank. Were the coral in a different tank then moved to this one? ICP test? I think we need more detail in how the change took place and also your parameters then and now. Tank age?
I had two AP700’s over my 90g without issue and swapped them out for 360x’s. I know this isn’t the same because I switched from led to led and not from T5, but with that change I still reduced the lighting slightly and slowly increased intensity over time. I’ve never had a problem with them growing and coloring sps, all my issues were unrelated to lighting. Any modern led fixture (cheap black box fixtures included) can grow coral just fine, but I find people run into issues, either because they under or over estimate their power and change the settings too rapidly or they forget the other two principals of reef keeping, biology and chemistry.

Unread 11/21/2021, 04:25 PM   #1691
gavij012379
Registered Member

I did do an ICP test. Iodine was 12.76 microgram/ litre vs recommended value of 62 microgram/liter and nitrate was 17 mg/l vs 2 mg/l recommended. Phosphorus and phosphate was non-existent. I feed enough to get high nitrate and don't use anything besides carbon. Besides that everything is okay.
When I moved sps from my other tank with T5 lighting, I increased the intensity up to 80% gradually but missed dosing since I was manually doing it and away for a weekend. So I attributed this loss to change in alkalinity and lack of nutrient since I was running high alkalinity at that time as well. Since then I have added dosing pumps but still have not been able to keep sps with high or low intensity. I have tried introducing sps 4-5 different times over the past 1.5 years.
I have been around in the hobby for a while now and not been able to keep sps mostly due to temperature issue in the summer. But that is not the issue now either so just trying to rule the light out. I am pretty sure the light is good. The only thing I can think of is the light is so good that lack of nutrient is affecting the corals but I don't understand how it can happen within a couple of weeks.

Unread 11/21/2021, 10:59 PM   #1692
minus9
Registered Member

If you’re measuring zero PO4, it won’t matter what light you have, sps will fade quickly. If you primarily feed frozen, then I would add in pellets and flakes, while cutting frozen in half or more. Getting measurable PO4 is paramount and I find as long as you have a little nitrate, that’s all you need. You may have to dose some PO4 until you get a measurable amount? Your issues are not light related, so move your focus to chemistry and biology, then you’ll be able to keep sps once your tank is stable. Stability is key!

Unread 11/23/2021, 04:26 PM   #1693
gavij012379
Registered Member

I agree. I will be dosing phosphate and iodine. I didn't see many option for dosing phosphate but did find ATI Nutrition P which I will be using.