Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Aquaforest
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/22/2015, 10:58 PM   #1
dcw1sfu
Registered Member

Aquaforest Calcium and KH product question

I'm just looking at the amount of each product that you would add to 1 gallon of RODI water. In doing the calculations it seems that the dosage is roughly half of the normal standardized 2 part equation. Is there any reason why the concentration of each of these is approximately half of that of standard calcium and alkalinity 2 part solutions?

For instance:
Aquaforest calcium calls for 200 grams per 4 liters
Normal 2 part calcium solution using calcium chloride calls for
400 to 500 grams per 4 liters

dcw1sfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2015, 10:51 AM   #2
Aquaforest
RC Sponsor

Aquaforest Calcium is Calcium chloride anhydrous and should be mixed just like we recommend:

50g per 1 liters / 200g per 4 liters

Regards,
Aquaforest

Aquaforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2015, 08:17 PM   #3
dcw1sfu
Registered Member

OK if I were to use another brand of calcium chloride anhydrous that mixes at 400grams per 4 liters which is double the concentration of aquaforest mix would I also double the amount of Aquaforest Component Strong added to the mix. As with aquaforest calcium/magnesium and alkalinity it calls for 19ml per 4 liters but if my calcium and alkalinity mix concentration is double would I add 38 MLS as essentially I would be dosing half the amout? I hope that makes sense.

Unread 01/05/2016, 05:04 AM   #4
plyle02
Registered Member

The solution is much more concentrated, likely. I use 54ml of seachem reef fusion 2 part, whereas with BRS, I was using 120ml, it is possible to have these solutions mixed with better efficiency, that is likely the case with AF, FWIW...

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2016, 06:52 PM   #5
dcw1sfu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
The solution is much more concentrated, likely. I use 54ml of seachem reef fusion 2 part, whereas with BRS, I was using 120ml, it is possible to have these solutions mixed with better efficiency, that is likely the case with AF, FWIW...
That makes sense in a pre-mixed solution however the aquaforest products I'm referring to are the dry powders. Calcium chloride and Sodium bicarbonate. I don't believe a dry powder chemical could be more concentrated. Possibly if we knew the concentration of the liquid once these are mixed at aquaforest recommended amounts.

Unread 01/06/2016, 09:10 PM   #6
avilamillar
Registered Member

From my experience I was adding a lot more carbonates than calcium when I was dosing the BRS 2 part. I think aquaforest has a less concentrated calcium mix so that you can dose the same amount of calcium and carbonates mix and keeping the calcium from going too high. I used to dose:

80ml BRS calcium mix
130ml BRS carbonate

Right now I'm dosing 90ml of each of the aquaforest. My calcium stays around 430 and alk around 7.

avilamillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2016, 09:32 PM   #7
dcw1sfu
Registered Member

I don't like using sodium bicarbonate though which is what Aquaforest KH buffer is acordinary to their website. I prefer to use sodium carbonate to keep my PH up.