Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/25/2019, 06:17 PM   #26
dubmaneh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputydog95 View Post
So you're actually dosing daily for both Iodine and Potassium?

No. Potassium doesn’t deplete as quickly as iodine so I only needed to dose weekly after getting levels up. I now top up my 10%wc with 5ml of Red Sea potassium.

Iodine/iodide I did dose daily for a number of weeks until ended up selling almost half of my live rock covered in mushrooms, after which I saw a drop in demand for iodine so weekly WC were keeping up. I now recognize the signs of low iodine by watching my Montiporas and will dose as needed.

I nearly went mad before i figured this out. Lol. Despite all the “iodine is not needed” advice you read and local experts telling me otherwise, my tank needs dosing of it from time to time.

I use aquaforest salt and each bucket comes with ICP results you can get online. Not sure if Red Sea has something similar for their batches of salt, but it definitely helps to when figuring these things out as each batch is slightly different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dubmaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2019, 12:01 PM   #27
deputydog95
Registered Member

So I think I have this figured out...

The SeaChem reef fusion Part 2 (alk) is the culprit. Despite SeaChem telling me there is no K in their products, I connected with someone else at SeaCheck who said that person was wrong and that there is K in the Part 2. He wanted the lot number off the bottle so he could investigate.

So I did more ICP testing... Sent in samples for the tap, RODI, tank water, and a freshly mixed batch of Red Sea blue bucket.

My K came in at 700 this time, despite changing more than the water volume in three weeks. The only thing I put in the tank is Reef Fusion and food. And I know it's not the food.

Further internet research has shown other people having the exact same problems with K once they start dosing Reef Fusion in a reasonably large volume.

I clean out dosing reservoirs and lines yesterday with distilled water and switched to Red Sea's Ca and Alk.

Now the tedious process of 2-3 10-gallon water changes a week starts again. Such a pain. It's really hard to have a big impact on K since I'm reintroducing some K with every water change. I'm just hesitant about doing a really large water change on an SPS tank.

Hoping taking the SeaChem Reef Fusion product out of the equation and lots of 10% water changes will get me straightened out in a few weeks.