Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/27/2010, 11:31 AM   #1
Reeferhead
Recovering Reef Addict

So Monti Nudis eat Porites too

So two years ago I saw the first MEN in my tank. They quickly killed about half my Montipora stock. I was able to save the rest with the typical treatment of dips, wrasses, and the good old turkey baster. I figured I had them under control and after about two years of not ever seeing another I naively thought I had them licked. I’m currently moving corals into a new bigger tank and a few weeks ago transferred all my montis and wrasses. However, I have yet to transfer a five year old, softball size colony of blue branching porites. Last night I came home after the holiday to find a 2” bare spot on the porites colony and a fat and happy MEN sitting right smack dab in the middle.

I was shocked. Everything I’ve read in the past cited than MENs as most nudibranches are species or at least genera specific to their diets. After sucking out the nudi I saw and vigorously blowing off the rest of the coral I went to search RC to see if anyone else has witnessed this. I didn’t find much, which is why I’m posting.

My assumption is that while kept in check by the wrasses, I never did rid the tank of MENs. Once the wrasses were out of the tank the nudis were once again allowed free reign. However, since I also removed the all montipora at about the same time the MENs had to search out new but less favorable fare and settled on the similar porites.

I currently plan to just pitch the montis, as they’re all fairly common, and let the new tank go fallow of Montis and Porites for several months. I’m still undecided on what to do with the porites colony. I’ve given frags away in the past so I’m sure I can get one back but it took so long to grow that I would like to try and save it. I plan on setting up a QT tank anyway with the new tank so perhaps I can treat it and a smaller green porites while the lil’ bastage MENs starve in the new tank.

St. Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists' (SLASH) Coral Donor Program (CDP)
Because, "Friends don't let friends pay $50 a polyp!"
Over 200 different corals and counting...

Current Tank Info: 352 Quintillion Gallon
Reeferhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2010, 03:37 PM   #2
preef
Registered Member

Are you sure the Porites are really Porites and not a Monti? They can look very similar and are often confused with each other. Perhaps they taste similar too?

Unread 12/27/2010, 04:00 PM   #3
Reeferhead
Recovering Reef Addict

Looks like porites to me and everyone who has ever seen it. If its a monti its news to me

St. Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists' (SLASH) Coral Donor Program (CDP)
Because, "Friends don't let friends pay $50 a polyp!"
Over 200 different corals and counting...

Current Tank Info: 352 Quintillion Gallon
Reeferhead is offline   Reply With Quote