Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/11/2007, 06:10 PM   #1
sabazerehi
Registered Member

enhancing gbta color?

any way to enhance the color of a gbta? make it more green. mine is pretty dull, however, i did just get it today so i don't know if that makes a difference at all. but anyway, just for general knowledge and out of curiosity. sorry but i don't know how to post a pic

sabazerehi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2007, 06:11 PM   #2
GSMguy
Registered Member

what kind of lighting do you have?

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
GSMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2007, 06:20 PM   #3
sabazerehi
Registered Member

65w pc, 30g, several lfs confirmed that it would be fine under those lighting conditions, and i did a good amount of research indicating moderate lighting would be fine. i placed it in the middle of the tank

sabazerehi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2007, 06:26 PM   #4
jpa0741
Registered Member

That is not going to be enough light. I don't know how you can say you did research and think that will be enough. It will probaly just continue to bleach under this light.

jpa0741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2007, 07:56 PM   #5
HowardW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sabazerehi
65w pc, 30g, several lfs confirmed that it would be fine under those lighting conditions, and i did a good amount of research indicating moderate lighting would be fine. i placed it in the middle of the tank

Well I think those LFS gave you poor advice. About 2 watts per gallon of PC lighting is considered low light, not moderate.

Unread 05/11/2007, 08:15 PM   #6
IslandCrow
Reef Monkey

You tend to get one of three types of advice from an LFS: Dishonest, uninformed, and good advice. The last, unfortunately, is pretty rare. A forum like this is probably a better place to get honest opinions. That's not to say you'll never get bad advice, but generally, you can weed it out when 20 people are saying one thing, and only one or two people are saying something different.
In your case, I agree that you got poor advice, whether it fits into the dishonest or uninformed category. If you can take the anemone back, that would probably be a good idea. Your second option, of course, is it upgrade your lighting to either metal halides or T-5s. From what I've heard, anemones have a poor survival rate under PC lighting. In the interim, you'll probably want to feed the anemone 2-3 times per week to make up for the lack of light. It probably won't make a full recovery, but that should keep it on life support for awhile.

-Mike C.

Current Tank Info: I have a reef screen saver on my phone, does that count?
IslandCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2007, 10:04 PM   #7
returnofsid
Registered Member

You can keep a GBTA under PC lighting but it'll need to be a lot more wattage than that. I've currently got an RBTA under PC lighting and it's been thriving for over a year. However, it's under 2X96 watt PC lighting. I know it would do even better under T5HO or MH lighting. Someday, it'll get moved to my 75 with the T5 lighting. 65 watt PC lighting is NOWHERE near "moderate." Also, in researching Bubble Tip Anemone's as much as I have...I'd be hard pressed to find anywhere that suggests "Moderate" lighting as adequate. Possibly "Moderate to High intensity" which would lean towards much higher "moderate" lighting. I also feed my RBTA several times a week. As I said, it's thriving and growing like crazy and has split once in the past year. The other half was also thriving in another tank under PC lighting. When I moved it to my 75, unfortunately it got sucked into a power head. I never could get it to "sit still" so gave it to someone else...it's now in a great home, under T5 lighting and loving it.

returnofsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2007, 10:09 PM   #8
AquaReeferMan
Got Reef?

Yeah you will need to upgrade your lighting asap. The least should be 2x96w PC's, t-5 or MH are even better. You did get rather poor advise from your LFS. They were just looking for money. You dont have moderate lighting either. I used to have that on my 10g. You have 2 options. Return it, or upgrade your lighting.

Current Tank Info: 5 pieces of glass with some silicone and plastic frames holding them together
AquaReeferMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2007, 10:12 PM   #9
useskaforevil
Registered Member

the amounn of light per gallon is not that important right now since it has no concern for depth. if you have a tall 30 gallon the BTA might be ok if its very close to the top, if its a 36inch i dont think it will be enough no matter what. i had BTA that did very well withless than 3watts per gallon, but since it was 130watts of light over 2 feet i just placed it very high up in the rockwork. and i never fed it. it lived for a little over a year and a half until i removed it.

Current Tank Info: 80gallon bowfront
useskaforevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2007, 10:49 PM   #10
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

I think that 65 watt of PC is a bit low for a BTA, but I don't feel that you need to have MH or T5 for it. Would like to know the exact measurements of the 30 gal, but with out knowing that I would say you should at least double it.

I've kept my BTA ( and GBTAs until I sold them all ) in my 75g ( 4 foot long ) under 6*55 PC for at least 3 years now ( Haddoni carpet for 5 + years ). It is lucky if I feed it twice a month. Here is a recent picture of it.

Current Tank Info: 210g reef and 65g reef
Toddrtrex is offline   Reply With Quote