Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 03/17/2009, 11:06 PM   #351
Soundwave
Registered Member

If you are going with SPS, I would do like 36 LEDs in a square pattern and make sure you use optics. You could mount the entire thing a foot off the tank and still get a whole lotta light.

Unread 03/17/2009, 11:29 PM   #352
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

soundwave, I got two of the same extruded aluminum heat sinks that you used, but I got them sized 5" x 12".

They feel much heavier than I was expecting for an aluminum heat sink. For some reason the 4.4lbs / foot listed on the site didn't quite register for me until I handled them!

I'm basically thinking of mounting mine on the front of my aquarium hood, angled down ward at somewhere between 45-60 degrees.

I am hoping to help supplement my existing lighting and get more intense lighting on the sides of sps coral branches, and also to increase PAR in some low spot areas between my lumen max elite reflectors.

Four 700ma buckpuck will each receive 32vdc input, and will be outputting 30v to each series of LEDs with a total of about 120v at 700ma, so should be around 84w total.

"that is enough skimmate to ruin lives." - GSMguy

Current Tank Info: 220g Display, 70g sump, 35g frag, 50g fuge, 2x250w MH, 1x400w MH, 2x80w T5, 2x140w VHO Actinic

Last edited by ReefEnabler; 03/17/2009 at 11:42 PM.
Unread 03/17/2009, 11:51 PM   #353
lilmonster
Registered Member

Ok, I'm very impressed, very nice DIY.

here i was planing to replace my PC lights with a $500 MH system, which i will have to replace the bulbs every 6mo to a year.
But i'm cheap and I hate giving the electric company more of my money every month.
So here i wait.

But, for around a $100 more, i could build an LED system that could last 10 years and cost less to run.
i've already started designing mine.

Your the man!

Unread 03/18/2009, 05:41 PM   #354
eameres
Registered Member

Has anyone looked at this lens? Seems promising but I'm still trying to catch up. Are the cool white or warmer whites the recommended LEDs? The cool white seem pricier.

http://www.l2optics.com/flare.aspx

Unread 03/18/2009, 05:46 PM   #355
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

definitely cool white. Warm white will be like an incandescant bulb.

But I think it depends on the LEDs, see if you can get info on the correlated color temperature.

Ive seen a few different "cool whites", some look around 6500k which is still "warmer than white" but definitely much "cooler" than incandescant. most are warmer than what I would consider "cool white", but that could have just been compared to the Royal Blue LEDs that were side by side.

I've also seen some Luxeon Stars that were labelled cool white and looked it.

Current Tank Info: 220g Display, 70g sump, 35g frag, 50g fuge, 2x250w MH, 1x400w MH, 2x80w T5, 2x140w VHO Actinic
Unread 03/18/2009, 05:51 PM   #356
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

those lenses you posted look very promising. I think something like that would work very well for my application where I am trying to force light down into the tank at an angle but still spread along the length of the tank.

thanks.

Unread 03/18/2009, 07:24 PM   #357
tahiriqbal
Sialkot

Need some help on LED

Having looked at your wonderful thread on DIY LED setup, I have decided to embark on the same path. I am very lucky that my company have access to 3 watts LED light bulbs ranging from 5000k to 25000K. I know many of may raise your concern and may find hard to believe, how and where my company has managed to secure such a high Kelvin rating LED’s in 3 watt star type.
The company I work for deals with LED lighting systems and having our own R&D we have managed to achieve such high Kelvin rating LEDs from white light source.
These LEDs are not by any top brand such as Cree or Luxone or any other world-renowned company but from our own manufacturing.
My purposed size for the light housing would be around 60 inches long x 16 inches wide and around 4 inches tall. The light itself will have four sections, each section containing 30 x 3 watts LEDs, 90 watts per section with correct mixture from below.

white in 10000K, Bin E 40 PC (140-180 typical lumen)
White in 15000K, Bin E 20 PC (140-160 typical lumen)
white in 20000K, Bin E 20 PC (120-145 typical lumen)
white in 25000K, Bin E 20 PC (100-120 typical lumen
white in 5000K, Bin E 10 PC (160 190 typical lumen)
Red, Bin E 5 PC
Green, Bin E 5 PC
10 x 10K, 5 x 15K, 5 x 20K, 5 x 25K, 2 x 5K, 1 x GREEN, 1 x RED (1 Green and Red will be used for night view or just to create abnormal moods.
Each section will be run independently from 12 Volt 100 watts waterproof constant LED power driver. I have deliberately left 10 watts of power for any surge or if I need to add few more LEDs to the existing system. I will also be adding a programmable dimmer controller on each section which means 4 programmable dimmer controllers in total to run all four sections. There were several reason to go with this idea as I found it very hard to find a waterproof LED constant power driver which could handle 400 watts worth of LEDs (360 currently). It was also virtually impossible for me to find a programmable dimmer to run 360 watts worth of LED’s unless someone could suggest otherwise.
Ideally I would love to have one programmable dimmer controller which could control and run all four sections independently. If anyone could suggest or help me to find out if there is 12Volt, 400 watt waterproof constant LED power driver. I would also like to know if anyone could help me or suggest what type of programmable dimmer controller I could use in conjunction above 400 watts LED driver.
I will be mounting these LEDs on the best aluminium heatsink panels x 4.I have bought these ones which were highly recommended.

I may also add two cross flow fans for better airflow to keep the LED’s nice a cool, unless you could suggest something better. These cross flow fans will be placed on each ends, one for the inflow and other one for to suck the air from the other end. I will also add four small fans on top of each section too which will eliminate for any heat rising if any cross flow fan fails.

Here is the picture of cross flow fan which I have bought and hoping to use.

I am doing few test runs for the prototype

Picture with 10K LED

Picture with 20K LED (very blue)

I have also bough 120 x 60 degree lens and lens holders, which I think are good for more consternated and focused light.

Here is the picture of my lenses

I open to take any positive critique

Current Tank Info: 56cm x 56cm x 56cm
Unread 03/18/2009, 07:29 PM   #358
eameres
Registered Member

Wow, any chance you could source some of those LEDs for us folks here?

Unread 03/18/2009, 08:28 PM   #359
Soundwave
Registered Member

I like. However, you said that you aren't using cree or luxeons. The picture you have is obviously cree. It says so on the board, as well. The other looks a whole lot like my luxeons I have laying around.

Also, can you help explain how you will wire that many LEDs to a 12V power source? From my experience, you would only be able to run 4 LEDs at the absolute max on 12 volts. 4 will be underdriven and 3 would be just right.

I is confrused.

Unread 03/19/2009, 01:23 AM   #360
kcress
Registered Member

Have you tried those blowers? My experience is they are pretty loud.

You do need to address Soundwave's comment. I think you are going to need more DC voltage.

Looks like fun!

Unread 03/19/2009, 04:45 AM   #361
stugray
Premium Member

tahiriqbal,

Looks cool!

I have the ability to drive 4 strings of LEDs using PWM & a microcontroller.
It uses a Rabbit Micro with 4 hardware controlled PWM circuits & some FETs.

It just doesnt work nicely with constant current drivers that are not made to be controlled.

How many LEDs did you blow out holding the constant current leads on the Stars using your hands? ;-)

Stu

Well, We KNOW GOD exists, but for US to exist without a GOD is preposterous….Umm wait a minute…. Sounds a bit circular to me…

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. display w/80 gal mud/caulerpa sump. Basement sump w/ LED Grow Light,Gravity fed Reeflo200 skimmer w/ ORCA Recirc, DIY calc reactor & kalk stirrer. Inline plumbed 75 Gal frag/settling tank.
Unread 03/19/2009, 09:45 AM   #362
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

I got confused too, at first he said that each section would have its own 12v 100w power supply, but then

"I would also like to know if anyone could help me or suggest what type of programmable dimmer controller I could use in conjunction above 400 watts LED driver."

400w LED driver?? If each section is going to be powered by 12v 100w supply (is that really 12v 8.3a?!?) then how is the driver going to be shared? Won't it need a matched driver for each section of LEDs?

*edit* reread and think I understand better.... He's hoping to find an LED driver capable of 400w to avoid controllers for each section. Geez that is higher than any of the stuff I've looked at for sure

Unread 03/19/2009, 06:14 PM   #363
tahiriqbal
Sialkot

Hi guys,
Thanks for being very kind and for your great comments. First of all, none of these LEDs are either Cree or Luxone as stated in my above statement. Our company is using Cree and another company¡¯s board to mount our own LED diodes. There were several reasons to use Cree boards as they were cheaper to buy from them than manufactured by our company.
We are currently in negotiation with a Chinese manufacturer who would manufacture these boards under our brand name very shortly and this way the whole LED light would be under our own brand name.
You could find the LED drivers which I have bought from China and they will be able to handle 90 watts worth of LEDs per section. Thankfully I have not blown any of my LED¡¯s as tests were done from a much smaller power supply (lol).
You could find LED driver information from following website.
http://led-power.en.alibaba.com/prod...inum_case.html
Some of the information is as following
MODEL 12V 100W-S 24V 100W-S
Input Voltage (VAC) 170-250V /90-130V
Input Frequency (Hz) 50/60 Hz
Output Voltage (VDC) 12VDC 24VDC
Output Current (constant) 8.3 A 4.2 A
Output Power (W) 100W
Short Circuit Protection Auto recovery
Overload Protection 20% exceed is allowing
Working Temperature (-10℃~+50℃)
Over current 120%
Over-voltage Protection ≤255V
Efficiency(Typ.) 85%
Thermal Protection ≤85℃
CE Safety Standard
Others Dimension
Carton Size
PCS/Carton
Housing Material
Warranty 3years

There were few questions asked from you as ideally I wanted to have only one LED driver and one dimmer controller in order to make my life simple and more manageable. Sorry if I have caused any confusion and please accept my sincere apology. I was asking for advice and help if anyone knows where I could purchase 12 volt 400 watts waterproof constant LED power driver.

Yes, I would be able to supply LED¡¯s anything ranging from 5K to 25K and you can PM for price quotes but we would only be able to sell them in batches of 20 minimum. Regarding cross flow blowers, yes they are little bit noisy and I will only be using them for prototype and if they become too much to handle then I may use standard heatsink fans to overcome noise issues.
You have also asked me how I am going to run 30 x 3watts per section which is = 90 watts worth of LEDs from 12Volt power driver. Answer is simple, 12volt is input and 100 watts is output. You could read information from the website I have highlighted.
I hope I have answered most of your question and if some of you are still confused then I be more than happy to answer to any of your questions.

Last edited by tahiriqbal; 03/19/2009 at 06:27 PM.
Unread 03/19/2009, 08:22 PM   #364
Soundwave
Registered Member

I'm still not feelin' it. This does not make sense to me. I would understand if you were using these as power supplies but when they are the actual drivers...

I think you're gonna need to explain a little further. I have a few problems. I don't want you to think that I'm doubting you but, well... The link you provided is nothing more than a picture and a few specs written in pidgeon-english.

Show me some more information. Wiring diagrams, examples, etc.

I'm having trouble believing this one.

Unread 03/19/2009, 08:39 PM   #365
stugray
Premium Member

tahiriqbal,

"First of all, none of these LEDs are either Cree or Luxone as stated in my above statement."

The DIES you show in the pic above are obviously CREE & Luxeon, so I dont know where you are coming from.....

I am currently looking right at a CREE, and the one you are applying the CC PS to is a CREE, regardless of the 'Star board' it is mounted on....

Soundwave,

"I'm having trouble believing this one."

I'm with you.

Stu

Well, We KNOW GOD exists, but for US to exist without a GOD is preposterous….Umm wait a minute…. Sounds a bit circular to me…

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. display w/80 gal mud/caulerpa sump. Basement sump w/ LED Grow Light,Gravity fed Reeflo200 skimmer w/ ORCA Recirc, DIY calc reactor & kalk stirrer. Inline plumbed 75 Gal frag/settling tank.
Unread 03/19/2009, 09:44 PM   #366
Soundwave
Registered Member

First of all, I am, by no means, an expert.

I just want to see the HOW on this.

What company do you work for?

Unread 03/19/2009, 11:07 PM   #367
stugray
Premium Member

That one on the left sure looks a lot like:

Stu

Unread 03/20/2009, 12:09 AM   #368
dogstar74
Premium Member

Would this layout be too much over a 10 gallon tank? It is essentially, 1/2 your fixture.

If you think it's just too much light, then how would you space it?

I am considering cutting out the middle two rows and only going with two rows of 6 but any help here would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron

Current Tank Info: 10 gallon nano with ATS
Unread 03/20/2009, 04:06 AM   #369
eameres
Registered Member

I was considering buying star mounting boards and LEDs separately to save about a buck a piece (at the cost of a little more labor on my part), so I can see how you could wind up with a third party LED on a cree mounting board.

Here's a link for empty luxeon boards, I'd assume there are other sources of blank boards.

http://www.luxeonstar.com/led-mounting-bases-c-53.php

Eric.

Last edited by eameres; 03/20/2009 at 04:14 AM.
Unread 03/20/2009, 04:26 AM   #370
tahiriqbal
Sialkot

Quote:
Originally posted by Soundwave
First of all, I am, by no means, an expert.

I just want to see the HOW on this.

What company do you work for?
I work for Coronodo Controls ltd UK and it is run by myself and my buiness partner.

Thanks

Unread 03/20/2009, 04:39 AM   #371
tahiriqbal
Sialkot

They are not Cree or Luxeon LED bulbs. We are only using Cree boards for testing but will not use in actual prototype or main lighting fixture.

The pics are to show you what I am planning to do with these LEDs.

I will post all relevant information and diagrams once system is ready and fully working.

I am also posting little project done by one of the guys who assisted me on my project. I hope it will help you.

http://picasaweb.google.co.kr/flworkd/LEDDIY#

Kind regards.

Unread 03/20/2009, 04:48 AM   #372
tahiriqbal
Sialkot

Quote:
Originally posted by dogstar74
Would this layout be too much over a 10 gallon tank? It is essentially, 1/2 your fixture.

If you think it's just too much light, then how would you space it?

I am considering cutting out the middle two rows and only going with two rows of 6 but any help here would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron
Yes maybe too much for 10gallon unless you are keeping SPS but I would still think it is too much light for such a small setting. Too much lighting could bleach your corals.

Unread 03/20/2009, 07:22 AM   #373
marspeed
Registered Member

ebay store in uk ??????????

Unread 03/20/2009, 08:27 AM   #374
tahiriqbal
Sialkot

This is our subsidary company which does buiness on heating controls system not LEDs.

Unread 03/20/2009, 12:01 PM   #375
marinebarn
Registered Member

Gound Stuff Soundwave,

You've started an international Think Tank.

Closed Thread