Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/13/2018, 12:49 PM   #1
steallife904
Registered Member

Evil long nose hawk fish

I have had this long nose hawk for 4 or 5 years and really like him... problem is he doesn't like any new guys. He attacks any new fish I add. I really haven't added anything in awhile because I am always worried he will kill it and he has before. He is the only bully I have in the tank. Tank is 150 gal and only have 5 fish at the moment. You guys have similar experience with them? Way around it?

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2018, 03:30 PM   #2
nereefpat
Registered Member

What species of new fish is he harassing?

An acclimation box, like a critter cage, can help. Place new additions in the box, so the hawk gets used to seeing them, for a couple days before releasing the new additions to the tank.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 09:18 AM   #3
steallife904
Registered Member

I haven't tried to add anything lately but the last few where a couple wrasses, mandarin dragonet. 1 wrasse and the dragonet ended up dead which I assume because of him. He will pick at them and chase them around tank. If they hide in a whole he will sit right there making sure they don't get out. The box/cage might be a good idea! even wondered if I put a big piece of light diffuser screen (I have some leftover) in the tank to try to get him on one side might help? Keep him toward one side plus since its new in tank will throw him off??? Kinda like when some re arrange the rockwork

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 10:32 AM   #4
nereefpat
Registered Member

If both fish are big enough to not fit through the slots, the egg crate would work.

Wrasse folks like to use acclimation boxes.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2018, 10:31 AM   #5
HumbleFish
Moved On

Hawkfish is a hawkfish, they all get aggressive. The Longnose is just limited by what he can fit inside his tiny mouth.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote