Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/05/2019, 09:26 PM   #1
Rolln2low4u
Registered Member

HELP Relocating with 500 gallon tank with 30 inch shark.

I have an established 500 gallon system that I have to tear down, move from Nevada to Michigan, and put back up. It's full of corals which I have mostly all fragged now. The hard part is I have about 25 mixed fish, tangs, dwarf angels, etc 2 to 5 inches, a 30" and 12" cat shark, and a 14" moray eel. I found a local shop experienced and willing to package and overnight ship everything. But cannot find anyone that doesn't want thousands of dollars to store the stuff for a couple months while I get my tank back up. What I was thinking was getting a small kid pool, hard plastic or blow up, and setup a temporary system for 2 months. I can set it up now, cycle for 7 weeks and then ship my fish and sharks. Coral can go in my friends tank. I plan on using an int skimmer and a filter pad along with an air bubbler, heater, and power head for water circulation. I am getting to the point of being desperate on what to do and this is the best and financially able idea i could come up with. Any help or suggestions would be great. Any idea what would be the best pool, blow up, hard plastic, etc. Needs decent size for the big shark. I plan on using rock, rather big pvc pipes for hiding places to. Guessing 8 to 10 weeks maybe at most. Hopefully closer to 6 weeks.

Thanks so much.

Rolln2low4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2019, 10:08 PM   #2
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Black plastic stock tanks - In Michigan they should be easy to find. Check for Horse / Farm supply. The horse watering troughs.

You can buy them up to 1000g. You can drill them and put in bulkheads or Uniseals.

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2019, 10:25 PM   #3
Omega_rains
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolln2low4u View Post
I have an established 500 gallon system that I have to tear down, move from Nevada to Michigan, and put back up. It's full of corals which I have mostly all fragged now. The hard part is I have about 25 mixed fish, tangs, dwarf angels, etc 2 to 5 inches, a 30" and 12" cat shark, and a 14" moray eel. I found a local shop experienced and willing to package and overnight ship everything. But cannot find anyone that doesn't want thousands of dollars to store the stuff for a couple months while I get my tank back up. What I was thinking was getting a small kid pool, hard plastic or blow up, and setup a temporary system for 2 months. I can set it up now, cycle for 7 weeks and then ship my fish and sharks. Coral can go in my friends tank. I plan on using an int skimmer and a filter pad along with an air bubbler, heater, and power head for water circulation. I am getting to the point of being desperate on what to do and this is the best and financially able idea i could come up with. Any help or suggestions would be great. Any idea what would be the best pool, blow up, hard plastic, etc. Needs decent size for the big shark. I plan on using rock, rather big pvc pipes for hiding places to. Guessing 8 to 10 weeks maybe at most. Hopefully closer to 6 weeks.

Thanks so much.

Where will you be relocating to in Michigan?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Current Tank Info: 300DD, LED, Ecotech, ATI
Omega_rains is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2019, 10:38 PM   #4
Rolln2low4u
Registered Member

Milford, MI. Close on my house on May 1st

Rolln2low4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pool, shark, temporary