Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/23/2019, 12:12 PM   #1
Blitzburggirl
Registered Member

Help me spend my money.. choose tank.

Hi all! Happy Saturday!!

So... I’ve had a few tanks over the years and I’ve been “dry” for 4 longgggg years. I still live in an apartment (not allowed to have aquariums) and finally decided to just do it. But- you know, small, easily portable...

I waited four years!! Well about 2 months ago, I decided to do it. I agonized over what tank. Where to put it (tons of natural light in my place.. who complains about that? lol) Finally I decided to use my old top off reservoir from my long sold 180. It’s a 10 gallon half moon fit under the stand and next to my dolphin pump. It’s tallish, with a long flat back, and would have interesting flow pattern. I thought it would be an interesting challenge and unique, besides, I tend to like a “deep” look over a lagoon. Anyway, I bought small footprint light. Because.. halfmoon. I pulled out some unique pieces of dry rock (yes... I lugged my pukani and Tonga from 8 states away. The movers loved moving those totes.. what’s in here?! Rocks?? Son: why, yes. They are boxes of rocks. Movers: )

Anyway. Added some water, some sand, a piece of raw tuna, a heater and a pump and and let it marinate. Finally decided to test it after FFM (fantastic New England show! so painful to not be able to buy any goodies!) and observed a cycle.

This weekend... considered buying 20 gallon Nuvo from great guy on forum selling.. but would have to figure out stand. Went to consignment store and found a great chest at the consignment store that would make a fantastic stand for the half moon (weird footprint you know!!)

Guy sold tank (happy for him, driving to his city is a pain, and 20 gal is really more than I wanted volume wise.) So went back and bought chest at store. Removed 3/4 of water from 10 gal half moon in basement that has been running for 2 freaking months. Son (very carefully) carried up to second floor apt. Sets it where I want it. I begin the process of heater in fresh saltwater so there is enough water to cover heater and rock while tank sitting on counter (chest is being delivered tomorrow.)

And- then.I.see.it!!!!!!! A freaking little bead of water squeezed out of the seal in the bottom back corner!!!!!

So here I sit, sad, mad and very annoyed. I wanted to use this tank. So bad. Sentimental reasons. Challenge. Unique. I bought a specific piece of furniture to show it off. And. Now a leak. I swear for the two months it was in the basement, it didn’t leak! Believe me.. I packed paper around it so I could see if there was a leak.

I’m glad it’s a small leak, a bead every 10 minutes or so, so I have time to figure it out. I don’t think I want to reseal it. I’m not really good at such things. Plus, it sat dry for about 5 years, we all know it’s only a matter of time til another leak.

Thank y’all for reading! My son is like, just get another tank. And of course I will. But, damn. It’s not that easy!

That said. If anyone has a small footprint suggestion, let’s hear it! My light is small footprint, and definitely want to use it!! I don’t really want to pay for “kit” lighting. I’ve been seeing lots of folks on here with the fluval 13.5 gallon tanks. I’m also a bit intrigued by the Lifeguard Aquatic full views. The problem is I don’t get the height I’m missing. I don’t really want to bump up to 20 gallons and $400 for the IM drop off. UGH. Is there something out there that I’m missing? Please for the love of all that is salty, help!

Blitzburggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2019, 12:16 PM   #2
Blitzburggirl
Registered Member

I think the reason I like the life views is that it has the “viewing pane” and that may help make me feel better about the lack of height. I just think keeping it clean will be a nightmare.

Unread 03/23/2019, 06:11 PM   #3
Skyhiggh
Registered Member

Get the drop off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skyhiggh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2019, 06:46 PM   #4
Yin_Yang247
Registered Member

Silicone seals really fast! Seals in less than 15 minutes & fully cured in 24-48 hours.

Empty the tank and apply silicone to the leak area outside & inside and it'll be fixed!

Clean the area with isopropyl alcohol wetted towel, and let it dry before applying silicone to insure a strong bond.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cntct_silicone.jpg (17.1 KB, 11 views)
Yin_Yang247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2019, 10:54 AM   #5
Blitzburggirl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhiggh View Post
Get the drop off

I'm so tempted to get the drop off. But.. 400$

I do like the height. I think it is 19"?

Do you have this tank? I also read that they changed the material of the "step" to aluminum. Curious why the change? Anyone here know?

After reading several nice threads on here, the fluval 13.5 seems to be making alot of people happy. It would keep my water volume closer to the 10 I was wanting to shoot for. Then I read some reviews on Amazon.. It seems alot of people are having issues with the bottom either breaking or leaking. That scares me. I know IM is high quality-

Unread 03/25/2019, 10:57 AM   #6
Skyhiggh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburggirl View Post
I'm so tempted to get the drop off. But.. 400$

I do like the height. I think it is 19"?

Do you have this tank? I also read that they changed the material of the "step" to aluminum. Curious why the change? Anyone here know?

After reading several nice threads on here, the fluval 13.5 seems to be making alot of people happy. It would keep my water volume closer to the 10 I was wanting to shoot for. Then I read some reviews on Amazon.. It seems alot of people are having issues with the bottom either breaking or leaking. That scares me. I know IM is high quality-

I don’t have a drop off but I do have a IM 30G tank and I love it the ease of the rear chambers the look is modern you will be much happier with it long term I think

Skyhiggh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2019, 10:58 AM   #7
Blitzburggirl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yin_Yang247 View Post
Silicone seals really fast! Seals in less than 15 minutes & fully cured in 24-48 hours.

Empty the tank and apply silicone to the leak area outside & inside and it'll be fixed!

Clean the area with isopropyl alcohol wetted towel, and let it dry before applying silicone to insure a strong bond.
Every time I tell myself I can just make a little seal addition to the leak area, I read someone else saying that silicone doesn't seal to itself properly etc. That for a lasting seal, the entire seal must be removed and redone. I don't really want to go to that effort, especially if I suck at it (I can't even properly ice a cake lol)

*thank you for the faith in my abilities though!!*