Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/18/2020, 05:32 AM   #1
PaulieReef
Registered Member

Binding two pieces of plastic on motor?

Bought a used protein skimmer and well, this is the pump, any suggestions to bind the two pieces back together?

PaulieReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2020, 06:14 AM   #2
ostrow
It's Dr. Goodluck Himself

No. You're going to need to get a new front end cover for the pump.

Current Tank Info: 156G "brick", 150 sump and 75 fuge replaces Fire, Destruction, Sad :(
ostrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2020, 08:59 AM   #3
vsiege
Registered Member

Pick up from Amazon one of my favorite 2 part epoxies (see image). My recommendation is to clean both sides well. Next seat the small piece as best as you can in in the channel or groove where it broke off of. You mix equal parts then apply it to whatever you're trying to fix. Next (using the now mixed epoxy) affix the pieces together by applying over the crack. Be liberal. DO NOT APPLY FiRST, THEN PUT THEM TOGETHER IN THIS CASE, as you are bonding them differently then you would with say acrylic solvent (do not use this either). Again, ensure both peices are together, then take a simple plastic knife and spread the epoxy over the cracks all the way around. You must let dry for a min. of 48 hours then you should be rolling. Hope this helps.

Unread 08/18/2020, 09:02 AM   #4
ostrow
It's Dr. Goodluck Himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsiege View Post
Pick up from Amazon one of my favorite 2 part epoxies (see image). My recommendation is to clean both sides well. Next seat the small piece as best as you can in in the channel or groove where it broke off of. You mix equal parts then apply it to whatever you're trying to fix. Next (using the now mixed epoxy) affix the pieces together by applying over the crack. Be liberal. DO NOT APPLY FiRST, THEN PUT THEM TOGETHER IN THIS CASE, as you are bonding them differently then you would with say acrylic solvent (do not use this either). Again, ensure both peices are together, then take a simple plastic knife and spread the epoxy over the cracks all the way around. You must let dry for a min. of 48 hours then you should be rolling. Hope this helps.
Weigh this process, cost, time, and the likelihood of leak or failure, vs purchasing a new front end.

Current Tank Info: 156G "brick", 150 sump and 75 fuge replaces Fire, Destruction, Sad :(
ostrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2020, 05:11 PM   #5
outssider
Registered Member

put the pieces together and flow/wick in some thin ca (crazy glue)

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2020, 11:30 AM   #6
billdogg
Registered Member

I'd give Weldon 4 or 16 a try. It looks to be acrylic, and those two weldons are just the ticket. #4 is thin like water, #16 is very much a gel. I'd probably go with the #16 if it were me.

hth!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2020, 11:34 AM   #7
PaulieReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outssider View Post
put the pieces together and flow/wick in some thin ca (crazy glue)
Crazy glue seems to work pretty well, I did a nice layer of crazy glue and covered it in silicone after. Have had the protein skimmer running since this post and no issues yet. The previous owners had it running for 2 years off just super glue. Only reason it fell off is when disassembling the tank they knocked it pretty hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsiege View Post
I will have to try this next time something happens and see if it works

PaulieReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2020, 12:16 PM   #8
vsiege
Registered Member

Glad all worked out. Happy reefing and see you around.