Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/18/2014, 03:55 PM   #26
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Thanks Sammy and Chris

My wife was a little weirded out by the Ritz having a lower rating on trip advisor. You were pretty happy over all?

Any suggestions for restaurants, stuff to do? Casual to fancy, doesn't matter. I plan to be in the water everyday

TankStop - Fish and Coral

470G Display - Build Thread

Current Tank Info: Retired - 470 Gallon Mixed Reef (120x29x31")
nuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2014, 05:47 PM   #27
Deinonych
Registered Member

I highly recommend Merriman's restaurant in Kapalua...not far from the Ritz. All farm to table cuisine and it's to die for. Mama's Fish House in Paia is also very good. We usually stay down in Wailea so we aren't as familiar with the eating choices in West Maui. You'll have a blast...Maui is my favorite HI island.

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge · 2x MP40wES PHs · 2x Radion Gen2 · Apex w/PM2 · Fish · Corals · Rock · Sand · Water
Deinonych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2014, 07:09 AM   #28
NTP66
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuxx View Post
Any suggestions for restaurants, stuff to do? Casual to fancy, doesn't matter. I plan to be in the water everyday
That's a loaded question - I could probably plan your entire trip down to the minute if needed, lol. I'm the opposite of Deinonych, in that my wife and I always stay in Ka'anapali while in Maui (by far my favorite island, as well).

In all the years we've been going to Maui, we've never gone to Mama's Fish House, but if you ask anyone, it's outstanding. You just have to make sure you plan ahead - sometimes days ahead, depending on the season. Here are a few of my own recommendations:

Food:
If you're flying into Kahalui, you have to stop at Da Kitchen for a bite to eat. It's phenominal, and only minutes from the airport. I can personally vouch for their Kalua Pork and Teryaki Beef plate lunches.

Right on Front Street in Lahaina is Cool Cat Cafe. They've got the best burgers in Maui, IMO. Aloha Mixed Plate is pretty good, too, and inexpensive.

You can't go to Hawai'i and not try shave ice, so check out Local Boys Shave Ice. Again, the best in Maui (IMO).

If you're a pancake lover, you have to go to the Gazebo restaurant at Napili Shores, if only for their macadamia nut pancakes. Get there early, and be prepared to wait in line, but it's so worth it. The views are amazing, too.

Stuff to do:
Kapalua Ziplines has some high, long, and fast lines, which my wife and I loved. Be warned, though, that you have to hike to each tower. Incredible views from the lines, too.

Kapalua Ziplines by NTP9766, on Flickr

My wife and I both love the Old Lahaina Luau, and go every single time we visit. It's authentic, the show tells the story of the Hawaiian people and culture, and their buffet dinner is outstanding.

Whenever we want to do any boat excursion, we use Trilogy. They've been there since the 70's, and their crews are top notch. We've used them for snorkeling in Honolua Bay, whale watches (West Maui), and day trips to Lana'i, and have loved every single one.

Honolua Bay by NTP9766, on Flickr

The Maui Tropical Plantation is a nice place to visit during the day, especially when the craft fair/market is open (Mondays). If you've never had Maui gold pineapple, this is the place to get it.

We also loved the West Maui/Molokai helicopter tour via Air Maui. Going over the tallest sea cliffs on Earth was worth the price alone.

Molokai by NTP9766, on Flickr

Finally, if you're inclined to do the Road to Hana, I suggest booking through Valley Isle and asking for Charlie as your driver. I originally wanted to just drive it myself, but would not have been able to appreciate the scenery at the wheel. As for Charlie, he's one of the funniest people I've ever met.

Oheo Gulch by NTP9766, on Flickr

Keep in mind that a lot of activities on Maui do sell out quickly, so it pays to plan ahead a little. I've always booked my tours and such months in advance to make sure everything is available, and while I'm a little overboard, you may want to look at booking things a few weeks prior to your trip. With regards to both Trilogy and the Old Lahaina Luau, both were booked completely solid by the time we landed for the entire trip. I write reviews for basically everything I do on vacation, so if you're bored, feel free to browse around: http://www.tripadvisor.com/members-reviews/NTP66.

I realize this is a long post, but hey, you asked.

Current Tank Info: 90g FOWLR, Reef Octopus NWB-150 skimmer, MP40wES x2, Eheim 1260 return, BuildMyLED 20,000k XB LEDs, Apex Jr.
NTP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2014, 12:37 PM   #29
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Wow no problem with the huge post and all the suggestions, it'll definitely get a close look over.

I just forwarded the thread to my wife to look it over much closer. I think the Trilogy Molokini and Lanai trips will be fun. Also will see if we can find a company or two that do some more personal type scuba/snuba/snorkeling stuff as well.

Merriman's and Mama's sound really good as well... already getting hungry

Unread 09/19/2014, 02:12 PM   #30
NTP66
Registered Member

Quote:
Also will see if we can find a company or two that do some more personal type scuba/snuba/snorkeling stuff as well.
Glad to help. FWIW, Trilogy does offer Snuba on all of their snorkel trips, and it's usually a max of 4 or so people, which isn't bad at all.

Current Tank Info: 90g FOWLR, Reef Octopus NWB-150 skimmer, MP40wES x2, Eheim 1260 return, BuildMyLED 20,000k XB LEDs, Apex Jr.
Unread 09/19/2014, 02:14 PM   #31
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTP66 View Post
Glad to help. FWIW, Trilogy does offer Snuba on all of their snorkel trips, and it's usually a max of 4 or so people, which isn't bad at all.
Shot them an email about an hour ago... asked a bunch of questions

Unread 09/19/2014, 02:18 PM   #32
NTP66
Registered Member

Another word of advice with regards to Trilogy (and all other snorkel sails, really) - book the earliest tours you can tolerate. The seas are much calmer in the morning, and you'll have better visibility in the water. The waves kick up in the afternoon, and could make for an uneasy trip back to land.

Unread 09/19/2014, 04:31 PM   #33
Deinonych
Registered Member

If you're going in December, that's plenty of time to get certified for SCUBA if you're so inclined. Snorkeling is fun, but SCUBA puts you in a whole different world. Hawai'i has such diverse fauna, you'll see something new every dive.

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge · 2x MP40wES PHs · 2x Radion Gen2 · Apex w/PM2 · Fish · Corals · Rock · Sand · Water
Unread 10/01/2014, 01:39 PM   #34
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Go down to the Mana Kai Resort. Southern Side of Kihei. They have some visitor parking and if you walk through the lobby to their beach you will find an incredible reef to check out.

Here's a cool vid from my last trip and a pretty good example of what that reef will be like in front of that resort. Very diverse area with bunches of turtles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM6Lz...WD74pIlN7h2Ldw

Something as a newb you should know. Early morning, Dusk, and dirty water snorkeling is what we call fishing (you are the lure). There are a lot of tiger sharks in maui's water and tiger sharks eat turtles. If the water does not have great visibility DO NOT follow turtles. If the water gets murky get out, if you see minimal marine life... get out, if the locals aren't in the water don't get in. Watch for the surge and always be aware of your surroundings.

http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/pacioos/projects/sharks/

If you or the wife are trying to remove tan lines look up little beach during the week. On Sunday evenings there will be a huge party on that beach with all sorts of fire jugglers, dancing, and live local music but very little nudity.

If you want to get to molokini early the first boat out is usually B&B. 1300 people are going to make it through the crater each day, if you don't get there early most of the fish are gone. First thing is amazing and B&B tries for the best mooring points. If you are lucky you can make it to the pennical after molokini and swim with the spinner dolphins that live there. Get certified, take your classes wherever you live and do your open water on the boat in maui.

My best advice is to slow down when you get there, nobody honks their horns unless they need to. The pace is different, toss on some reggae, and while you are in Hawaii be full of Aloha. Maui has a special place in my heart. It will be my home one day.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2014, 11:00 PM   #35
Deinonych
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Go down to the Mana Kai Resort. Southern Side of Kihei. They have some visitor parking and if you walk through the lobby to their beach you will find an incredible reef to check out.

Here's a cool vid from my last trip and a pretty good example of what that reef will be like in front of that resort. Very diverse area with bunches of turtles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM6Lz...WD74pIlN7h2Ldw

Something as a newb you should know. Early morning, Dusk, and dirty water snorkeling is what we call fishing (you are the lure). There are a lot of tiger sharks in maui's water and tiger sharks eat turtles. If the water does not have great visibility DO NOT follow turtles. If the water gets murky get out, if you see minimal marine life... get out, if the locals aren't in the water don't get in. Watch for the surge and always be aware of your surroundings.

http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/pacioos/projects/sharks/

If you or the wife are trying to remove tan lines look up little beach during the week. On Sunday evenings there will be a huge party on that beach with all sorts of fire jugglers, dancing, and live local music but very little nudity.

If you want to get to molokini early the first boat out is usually B&B. 1300 people are going to make it through the crater each day, if you don't get there early most of the fish are gone. First thing is amazing and B&B tries for the best mooring points. If you are lucky you can make it to the pennical after molokini and swim with the spinner dolphins that live there. Get certified, take your classes wherever you live and do your open water on the boat in maui.

My best advice is to slow down when you get there, nobody honks their horns unless they need to. The pace is different, toss on some reggae, and while you are in Hawaii be full of Aloha. Maui has a special place in my heart. It will be my home one day.
Great advice above. We usually dive with Mike Severns; they get out to Molokini super early as well. Last couple times we dove with them, we were the only ones out on the crater. We'll be on Maui in a couple weeks - can't wait to hit the water!

Hope is not a strategy.
Unread 10/03/2014, 02:31 PM   #36
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deinonych View Post
Mike Severns; they get out to Molokini super early as well. Last couple times we dove with them, we were the only ones out on the crater.
I've seen them race to a mooring point more than once. Have fun on your trip!

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2014, 03:30 PM   #37
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Hey guys just got back, had a great time

Will type more about what we did in the next few days... just so much to catch up on!

Did see a lot of Achilles though.

Saw the most snorkeling at Lana'i. Plenty of large ones and pairs.

Saw two smaller ones in a pair in the surge zone at Molokini while snorkeling as well.

Saw a larger one scuba diving off of the Mala Wharf too.

Might have saw Chevrons as well... not sure... were adults, might have been Acanthurus nigroris though...

Unread 12/17/2014, 03:42 PM   #38
ace_92101
Registered Member

Glad it was a great trip! Nothing better than being in the water.

ace_92101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2014, 03:43 PM   #39
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Thanks!

What do you think there are?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2465386

Unread 12/17/2014, 05:26 PM   #40
Reefers4U
Registered Member

Spawning Tangs

I ran across this video the other day coincidentally.

And I'm not all together sure they are Chevrons now.....

Still a pretty rad thing to see.

Current Tank Info: 120 Visio // Radions // Eschopps Skimmer // MP40 x2 // Tunze ATO // BRS Dosing Pumps and Dual Reactor // Apex Gold //
Reefers4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2014, 04:02 PM   #41
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Here is a pair of Achilles we saw while snorkeling off of Lana'i (Saw a lot more there):

Here is a smaller pair of Achilles in the surge zone off of Molokini:

Large Whitetip Reef Sharf while scuba diving off of the Mala Wharf:

These were short videos for Facebook... need to put up the full ones later on...

Unread 04/01/2015, 06:25 PM   #42
kkittredge
Registered Member

very cool. Going to Maui this summer. Any feedback on top 1 or 2 spots to go to?

kkittredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2015, 09:38 AM   #43
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkittredge View Post
very cool. Going to Maui this summer. Any feedback on top 1 or 2 spots to go to?
Best where the day trip to Lana'i, basically best fish were just off of the beach.

Most people on our trip just hung out at the beach while we were in the water for hours

Also Molokini probably had the best variety of wildlife. Easy to get away from the groups and check out most of the fish close to where the water breaks.

Last edited by nuxx; 04/02/2015 at 09:54 AM.
Unread 04/02/2015, 09:52 AM   #44
kkittredge
Registered Member

Thanks. Really appreciate reply.

kkittredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2015, 09:55 AM   #45
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkittredge View Post
Thanks. Really appreciate reply.
No problem, was really not let down at all.

I have pretty high expectations and I left Maui pretty happy

Unread 04/02/2015, 10:54 AM   #46
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsreef View Post
Best place for Achilles is the shallow wave swept water, right in the surge. Most snorkeling ops get very nervous and don't like you in those spots....easy to get knocked into the rocks and cut up a bit or sea urchins spines jammed into you.
I agree. They habit surge areas usually fairly shallow.

Unread 04/02/2015, 11:57 AM   #47
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
I agree. They habit surge areas usually fairly shallow.
They aren't that hard to find, probably saw at least 20 on the 2 dives and 3-4 snorkeling trips we did.

Looks like we're heading to Oahu this July as well

Any tips?

Unread 04/02/2015, 12:00 PM   #48
NTP66
Registered Member

Quote:
They aren't that hard to find, probably saw at least 20 on the 2 dives and 3-4 snorkeling trips we did.

Looks like we're heading to Oahu this July as well

Any tips?
Avoid H1 at all costs. Seriously, just don't do it. Hanauma Bay is a must if you're on Oahu, and plan on getting there as early as humanly possible.

Unread 04/02/2015, 12:01 PM   #49
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTP66 View Post
Avoid H1 at all costs. Seriously, just don't do it. Hanauma Bay is a must if you're on Oahu, and plan on getting there as early as humanly possible.
Suggestions of where to stay? Will probably only want to stay in the city for a day or two.

Thinking the North Shore, haven't really put much thought into it...

Unread 04/02/2015, 12:04 PM   #50
NTP66
Registered Member

Quote:
Suggestions of where to stay? Will probably only want to stay in the city for a day or two.

Thinking the North Shore, haven't really put much thought into it...
I've only been to Oahu once, so I'll defer to others who have visited more frequently. We stayed at the Park Shore Waikiki last winter and have nothing but good things to say about them. Outstanding location in that area (free parking on the next street over, which is hard to come by), and very reasonable in terms of price.