Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/09/2014, 11:07 PM   #451
acorral
Registered Member

How many of those skimmerless reefs started as skimmerless or just after some time turned off the skimmer?

On my 400g I converted to skimmerless and everything is fine... But I started another 50g skimmerless from day 1 and after 6 months is still generating diatoms like crazy

acorral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2014, 11:23 PM   #452
acorral
Registered Member

How many of those skimmerless reefs started as skimmerless or just after some time turned off the skimmer?

On my 400g I converted to skimmerless and everything is fine... But I started another 50g skimmerless from day 1 and after 6 months is still generating diatoms like crazy

acorral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2014, 01:49 AM   #453
ClearwaterUK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperator_ View Post
Wow! Nice tank! Do you use GAC? Do you carbon dose? And what kind lights are you running?
Lights are Arcadia OT2 LED

30 3 watt 450 nm 30 3 watt 6500 K

6 T5 Tubes 80 watts

I dose Iodine

and use Activated carbon passively once a month

a Po4 absorber is also used if required probably 3 or 4 times a year

ClearwaterUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2014, 08:59 AM   #454
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterUK View Post
Lights are Arcadia OT2 LED

30 3 watt 450 nm 30 3 watt 6500 K

6 T5 Tubes 80 watts

I dose Iodine

and use Activated carbon passively once a month

a Po4 absorber is also used if required probably 3 or 4 times a year
I'm finding that more and more reefers are utilizing t5s along with LEDs . I
Believe it is to ad uv's that leds don't provide

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2014, 11:16 AM   #455
ClearwaterUK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_hylinur View Post
I'm finding that more and more reefers are utilizing t5s along with LEDs . I
Believe it is to ad uv's that leds don't provide
That was the reason to go with a Hybrid unit 5 years ago

however LEDs have moved on you can get 390 /400/ 410 /420 nm Emitters now
which in T5 term we would call Actinic and 20K Tube

My next lighting will be full LED, as full spectrum is available

ClearwaterUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2014, 05:09 PM   #456
ktownhero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Established is not about time, it is about self reliance. IMO a mature or established tank is one where very little testing is required as the owner knows the parameters and he knows they will not change by adding or eliminating a creature. It is a tank where corals grow randomly on their own where polyps sprout up with no help from us. Where under every stone is noticeable life, just like in the sea. Where fish almost never die unless it is from old age, (which is well over 10 years for almost all fish) where all paired fish are spawning (fish that will spawn in a tank, no whale sharks or manta rays)
Tiny tube worms cover many dark areas and you can see amphipods scurrying about if you look at the tank at night with a flashlight.
No tweeking is necessary, water changes will not noticeably alter the health of anything. Hair algae and cyano grow very little and do not overtake anything.
The power can go out for a few days and no deaths or crashes will occur.
To have a tank like this does not happen overnight and may take ten or 15 years. That is my idea of an established tank, not 6 weeks because your $5.00 test kit reads zero ammonia.
I'm not disagreeing with you but I'd like to point out that you start this post by saying it is not about time and end it saying that it is.

Sounds like what you are describing is very much about time investment in allowing a tank to mature or become established. And I think it points something very important out in this hobby: people don't often keep tanks around long enough to even come close to knowing what it is like to have a fully established tank.

I disagree that it takes 10-15 years though. I had a 20L nano that met your description in less than 2 years and went on to enjoy a 10 year run until the clownfish in it died of old age.

Last edited by ktownhero; 09/29/2014 at 05:15 PM.
ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2014, 12:03 PM   #457
Paul B
Premium Member

It is not about time per say, but it takes an unknown amount of time to have an established tank unless you grab everything out of the sea and put it in your tank at once. My 10-15 years is a broad time frame but it is IMO the time frame necessary to have a fully established tank. You can call a two year old tank established if you like and many people will agree with you. A two year old tank is not even the life span of a hermit crab so you won't know if your animals are living their full lifespan which for most creatures we keep is 10 or 15 years. Just my opinion of course.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2014, 04:35 PM   #458
ktownhero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
It is not about time per say, but it takes an unknown amount of time to have an established tank unless you grab everything out of the sea and put it in your tank at once. My 10-15 years is a broad time frame but it is IMO the time frame necessary to have a fully established tank. You can call a two year old tank established if you like and many people will agree with you. A two year old tank is not even the life span of a hermit crab so you won't know if your animals are living their full lifespan which for most creatures we keep is 10 or 15 years. Just my opinion of course.
Well, like I said, the tank I was describing housed a clownfish for 10 years.

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2014, 07:59 PM   #459
codyreed29
Registered Member

I have had my 10 gallon going for about 3 months skimmer less. I have a mangrove Calera cheat and a hob filter it was good but now has started to grow hair algae and am going to put a skimmer on the new tank. I have 3 fish and feed my fish and corals alot. I have 20 lbs live rock packed bare bottom tank with weekly 1 gallon water changes I think the nutrients have built up and I have increased feeding.

If I used my water changes to 20 percent weekly I could get away with out a skimmer and no algea.