Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/08/2004, 12:09 PM   #26
ann7757
Registered Member

Very nice tank, John. I love the colors! I'm looking forward to pics of the 500g tank when you have it set up!!

Current Tank Info: 37 gallon softy tank, 55 gallon mixed LPS and SPS, 26 gallon bow front softy tank
ann7757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2004, 12:13 PM   #27
JB NY
Registered Member

John, congratulations on TOTM. You already know how I feel about your tank, it's a beauty!! Robie did a great job with the pics, sorry I didn't send you any, got too busy in RL.

Again, love the tank my friend!

TOTM Sept 2002 | Reefland April 2004 | CORAL Magazine Nov 2007
Featured Tank "Coral Reef Aquarium" 2011 | Reef Spotlight 2018

Current Tank Info: 270G SPS Tank, 140G sumps, 35G Frag Tank, Ultra Reef Akula UKS-200 Skimmer, Apex, Giesemann Spectra 3x250W MH 4x80W T5, 2xReefbrite Tech 72" Blue LED, Triton Dosing, ARID C30 Algae Reactor, Maxspect Gyre
JB NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2004, 12:24 PM   #28
jcontreras
Registered Member

hey, hey, what a spectacular tank... I can hardly wait for the 500gal! pls. keep us informed on that... congratulations

jcontreras is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2004, 01:03 PM   #29
original-reefland
Reefer

Amazing pictures!

Visit My Chunk of the Ocean, click the Red House above.

Current Tank Info: 180G Oceanic SPS/Clams/LPS, AB Aquaspace Light 3x250w AB 14K HQI with 4x24w PC Actinic, 2x80w T5, Dual Tunze 6100 and Vortec (10,000 GPH), Euro Reef RC-500 Skimmer.
original-reefland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2004, 03:45 PM   #30
ROBZ
Premium Member

CONGRATULATIONS Jonny and Virginia, you guys have done a beautifull job taking care of those animals... as i said to you before I havent seen a tank that looks so well kept in such colorfull harmony in a long time !!!!
kudos for you buddy!!!!!

well deserved...

Robie

ROBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2004, 04:18 PM   #31
febeast
Registered Member

Stunning, John, just stunning. I am very impressed and humbled by your dedication, knowledge and love of this "hobby". Great inspiration for all of us.

febeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2004, 04:39 PM   #32
socalreefer73
Premium Member

Arrow Frag Tank

Hmm I was stumped to just what purpose a "frag" tank would have, but now I'm thinking its for coral propogation?

oh, nice tank, btw...

socalreefer73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2004, 05:52 PM   #33
John Brancheau
Registered Member

Very nice tank, love the regal, best of luck with it in the future........

Current Tank Info: 180 in wall,Bubble King 300,Red Dragon 6.5 , Schuran, Jetstream 1, 100 gallon sump/ fuge,Tunze 6100,6080, 4 250 RO III's, Hamilton 14ks with 2- 6 foot vho's,sps dominated with some clams..
John Brancheau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2004, 06:14 PM   #34
ihavtats29
Registered Member

all i can say is sweeeeeet!!!!!!

Current Tank Info: 29 biocube HQI
ihavtats29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2004, 07:17 PM   #35
copps
Premium Member

Thanks very much to all! Like probably all of us here I love to check reef profiles and I am happy you all enjoy mine. I’m away on business right now writing in from my hotel in Groton, CT. When I get back I will add more pictures to the thread including those from some of my other systems.

Skip, thank you and great job on the layout!

Gene, thank you for providing me with many of the coral in my reef… we’ll meet up soon…

Art Vandelay I thought you were an architect (Virginia and I are huge Seinfeld fans)… giving our reefs a natural look is way up on my list… I see so many tanks that look like LFS sale tanks as opposed to natural reefs… this is indeed a living art and more appropriately should be termed coral gardening… and regarding the wives they really don’t get enough credit for dealing with us nuts…

Jumboshrimp I live in the Dulles/Sterling area but will be moving to Leesburg in January as our house is being built. WAMAS has many young members in high school, including reefer44 on this board, and most of all membership is FREE for all students! Come on out!

Chip thanks for the thumbs up. When we move and my larger systems go up I plan on selling more frags to help fund the ~500 project. To bad I can’t put it into the mortgage as I did with the room addition…

Bristopher the sandbed is around just an inch or two… enough to cover the bottom. When I get the 180 up I’ll either go BB or a larger grain shallow bed. For those who don’t like the look of BB, I suggest you cover it with rics and clams like I did Cleanup crew is snails only… nassarious, cerith, and astrea.

Busybrunette… size doesn’t matter In all seriousness this tank is much more spacious than my 10 gallon nano… I’ll post pics of this tanks later but you could check it out at nano-reef.com where my username is Brooklyn Johnny. The largest thread where my tank was feautured can be found here …

Atkins good luck on the regal. I have no idea of your experience but I just want to make sure I stress that regal angels should be reserved for experienced reefers only. With that said there are some great threads on this board with great firsthand accounts on keeping this tough but gorgeous fish…

Leishman… yeah I have to clear the box… Thanks for all your help local buddy and congrats again on the 250 gallon…

Craig thanks for the kind words. Having other reefers by the house is always fun, but having Bruce Carlson by was incredible. I could talk with him for days straight and look forward to the opening of his new aquarium.
Alberto you’ll always be part of the WAMAS family… good luck on your big boy and I may use you as a consultant soon!

Kev apsley the next big craze after BB with be ricordia clam bottoms…

Joe thanks for the kudos and I was very happy to meet and have you over. Thanks again for the consulting on the Interceptor treatment… I’m bug free!!!

Robie gracias por las fotos y todo! Ditto to you as we all know you are one of the masters. Between you and me we could start terming tanks with ric and clam bottoms DC style! It’s been great having you as a friend inside and out of the hobby…

Febeast I have always had a passion for this hobby that I just cannot explain… I just let myself get caught up in it with my wallet wide open!

Socalreefer73 I have always liked to keep my display tanks natural looking with the glass spotless… anything to make it appear like the ocean… and I hate having frags cluttering the display… my wife always says the frag tank is ugly and my reply is “That’s what it’s for!” In the new house this will be behind the scenes.

John Brancheau thanks bud! Your tank I’ve admired too and is a definite future TOTM…

Thanks again to all... when I get back in town I will share more photos and info on my systems as I know there can never be too many photos. It's great to share this info with fellow reefers who can relate... I've run out of ways to try to explain this hobby to those nonreefers...

Copps

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.
Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about.

Current Tank Info: displays are 1300 gallon SPS (8.5' x 6' x 42"), 240 gallon anemone, and 350 gallon fish only
copps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2004, 08:07 PM   #36
copps
Premium Member

NM reef I also want to thank you personally for the kind words... you are a wealth of information at saltwaterfish.com and have helped so many reefers in your thousands of posts... keep it up!

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.
Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about.

Current Tank Info: displays are 1300 gallon SPS (8.5' x 6' x 42"), 240 gallon anemone, and 350 gallon fish only
copps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2004, 07:34 AM   #37
fuzed
Registered Member

impressive tank!

a quick question for you, how do you find the bristle tooth tang in respects to other fish, is he agressive or placid - I seem to find mine chases any new additions to the tank (for this reason the flame angel has been living in the sump for about 2 weeks so far)

I think he may have killed the previous flame angel, as i'd seen him attack it a few times (my thinking, they both have a very similar body shape).

fuzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2004, 08:50 AM   #38
shred5
Registered Member

Very nice tank.

Dave

shred5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2004, 10:26 AM   #39
fishykid9212
Registered Member

wow thats an awesome tank how much money did you put into that

fishykid9212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2004, 10:28 AM   #40
hollback
Team RC Member

Great looking tank! I love your Ricordia patch surrounding your clam. Great Idea! It looks natural.
~Jason

hollback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2004, 10:34 AM   #41
DemoDick
Registered Member

Great Job! It looks Awesome!!!!

Current Tank Info: 75 gal. cichlid, 36 gal corner reef , 30 gal reef
DemoDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2004, 10:52 AM   #42
jackson6745
Yeah Yeah

John,
Congratulations on TOTM. It is very well deserved. It's nice to see some other Brooklyn born 65 gallon reef tank owners out there!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2357196"]http://www.reefcentralcom/forums/showthread.php?t=2357196
Officially Done Shipping
jackson6745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2004, 11:19 AM   #43
danano
Registered Member

Congrats John! Awesome tank, corals and colours... a true testimony to your passion, dedication and reef husbandry!

How time flies... it seems like not too long ago when we were tinkering with our 10g nanos.

Look forward to your 180g and later the 500g!

Dan

danano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2004, 12:29 PM   #44
zebrazoma
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Congratulations! Beautiful tank!
I’d like to know how you clean the sand of this tank. It’s full of rics and tridacnas

zebrazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2004, 01:59 PM   #45
reefkeeper02
Registered Member

great looking tank! can we see some more pics of your tomini tang?

Current Tank Info: 70 gallon quarter cylinder, 250 watt MH, soft, SPS, and LPS corals
reefkeeper02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2004, 04:12 PM   #46
drblank1
Registered Member

Beautiful tank. Love the srooms.

Question, how do you deal with the nuisance algae? Does it ever invade you SPS' space?

Also, do you have a large sand bed in your 7 gallon algae tank? Do you think that could be contributing to your algae problem in your show tank?

Again, awesome tank!!!

"I may not be right very often, but I'm never wrong!"

Current Tank Info: 125g AGA
drblank1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2004, 04:46 PM   #47
Radicaljbr
Registered Member

Great tank Man!!!!

Radicaljbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2004, 07:23 PM   #48
ffighter17
Registered Member

Great Tank!!!! Breath Taking.
What is your normal PH, I noticed you have 7.7 to 8.1.

ffighter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2004, 07:32 PM   #49
Dz99ls
Registered Member

great tank! keep up the good work

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon bow front. 150# of live rock
Dz99ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2004, 08:53 PM   #50
rjwilson37
Registered Member

Your tank is very sweet especially with all the fish life you have kept as well.

If you don't feed DT's or some other phytoplankton, how is your pod population? I've always been told that the phyto is not only for the filter feeder corals/inverts but the pods as well to keep them plenty.

29g Biocube
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting

Current Tank Info: 29g Biocube Reef Tank
rjwilson37 is offline   Reply With Quote