Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/28/2019, 05:20 PM   #1
Vincero
Registered Member

Unhappy Skunk clownfish - Pairing different species?

Hi guys,

I woke up to something really sad today. Yesterday I bought an absolutely beautiful pair of pink skunks and added them to my tank. (Large female, wonderfully small male).

Well, I found the female dried up on my carpet this morning. I have no idea how she made it out because I keep a mesh lid on my aquarium at all times. --
I can only assume that something scared her and she jumped with enough force to lift the aluminum frame from its ledge.

I feel very upset by this, because I feel like I'm doing everything properly and to really high standards.

I'm contemplating finding another skunk clown, but they seem quite rare over here in NZ. (They weren't cheap, either).

I've found an orange skunk for sale and would like to know if it would pair with the pink one? It is about twice his size, so about 2.5 inches.

My tank is a 20 gallon nano. No other fish...

Cheers.

Vincero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2019, 05:29 PM   #2
Vincero
Registered Member

This is a picture of them in the shop. (I didn't buy the nem).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190303_114124.jpg (47.5 KB, 66 views)
Unread 04/28/2019, 06:14 PM   #3
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Looks like the female was a Fiji Sunkist Pink Skunk, a great morph of A. Perideraion.
If I were you I'd order another pink skunk for the surviving male. Blue Zoo Aquatics and NY Aquatic should have them available.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2019, 06:53 PM   #4
Vincero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
Looks like the female was a Fiji Sunkist Pink Skunk, a great morph of A. Perideraion.
If I were you I'd order another pink skunk for the surviving male. Blue Zoo Aquatics and NY Aquatic should have them available.
Would love to... but I live in New Zealand .

Unread 04/28/2019, 06:56 PM   #5
Vincero
Registered Member

Options appear to be very limited. Once place has an orange skunk for sale and may have pinks for sale at an unspecified date in the future.

So my options are:

1) Keep the male alone
2) Order a larger orange skunk and see if they pair
3) Wait for pink skunks to become available

They were absolutely beautiful. (The male still is...) Gutted.

Unread 04/28/2019, 07:46 PM   #6
Vincero
Registered Member

Another question -- can I expect my male to change into a female now and grow larger? Or does there need to be another clown in the tank for this to happen?

Unread 04/29/2019, 02:44 AM   #7
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincero View Post
Another question -- can I expect my male to change into a female now and grow larger? Or does there need to be another clown in the tank for this to happen?
From all I could find in scientific literature they need the interaction with another of their kind to change sex, particularly the aggression.
So while it is certainly possible that the male at some point changes to be female, even on its own, it seems rather unlikely this would happen quickly.
So I think you have some time to find another female.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2019, 03:49 AM   #8
Vincero
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I guess it might be best to wait for a pink skunk then, rather than risking another variety?

Unread 04/30/2019, 11:53 AM   #9
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Had a 2” female die leaving me only the male 3/4”
In the following 4 months that male grew quickly in size, literally doubled.
Added a 3/4” junvenile at 6 months, same species, same colour patterns
Immediately bonded and they have been together ever since, now 2 years down the road.
The female is now 2.75” and the male stays at 1”
My opinion is that a male will change to female even if there is no others,

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9862B63C-ADD4-4D43-A55F-FB53062EDB78.jpg (80.3 KB, 25 views)
Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2019, 04:58 AM   #10
OrionN
Moved on

I would wait for another pink skunk. I would add a small one unless you find one quickly.
That is a nice anemone, look more like a Magnifica in that picture than BTA. I would get him in a heartbeat if here is here in Corpus Christi (the anemone).
Good luck

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2019, 04:05 AM   #11
Vincero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I would wait for another pink skunk. I would add a small one unless you find one quickly.
That is a nice anemone, look more like a Magnifica in that picture than BTA. I would get him in a heartbeat if here is here in Corpus Christi (the anemone).
Good luck

I agree that the anemone is a magnifica. Originally, I wanted to buy all three, but the LFS wanted to keep them as a display.

Sadly, the anemone ended up shredded when the owner introduced it to a display tank (walked into a power head after he thought it had settled). That's why he offered me the clowns. I can't help but feel this group of organisms should have stayed in the ocean.

The shop has a nice purple magnifica in their main display tank.