Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/07/2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Toxic45
Registered Member

Clownfish biting hands and fingers >=[

So I was doing some spot feeding around the tank today with an eye dropper, and I felt a pinch on the back of my hand and yanked it out of the water because I didn't know what it was. I looked at my Percula and she was looking at me through the glass as if saying, "Yeah, why don't you try that again?"

I had to hurry up my feeding because she was being vicious! They never used to bite before, but now that they started hosting the anemone (I know, I know, please don't syntax me) it seems they've become super aggressive. Is there any way I can classical condition them to not bite? I still have to work in the tank sometimes and they've become very annoying.

Also, anybody else have bloodthirsty clownfish or are yours pretty docile? I've heard people with mature maroons are scared of dipping their fingers in their tanks.

Last edited by Toxic45; 08/07/2012 at 01:41 PM.
Toxic45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2012, 01:53 PM   #2
sfmacguy
Registered Member

I flicked mine when he tried to come up and nibble. Hasn't done it since. My dad has a couple of perc that will attack you anytime you put your hand in the tank, guess I got used to it. Only drew blood once...

sfmacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2012, 02:02 PM   #3
jscarlata
Registered Member

lol...same thing happened to me! my female is super aggressive ever since she went into my gig. doesnt matter where i put my hand, even on the opposite end of the tank, she comes right up and hits me. One time i was siphoning cyno and she kept coming for me, so i kept chasing her with the siphon tube...yep, one time she got sucked into the tube and into the bucket...and yet she still comes after me...occasionally i use my long tongs to keep her at bay with one hand and do my work with the other...sure keeps you from putting hands in the tank unnecesarily

jscarlata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2012, 02:14 PM   #4
whis169
Registered Member

My female does it all the time, thinks I am going to hurt her RBTA. She never hurt me just scares me sometimes when I am doing anything in the tank.

20g elos mini, sump/fug, bubble magus skimmer, e-lite, mp10, 16lbs marco rock, 20lb
whis169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2012, 08:05 PM   #5
seamonkey84
Registered Member

My ocellaris has been biting me relentlessly for the two years ive had her.

seamonkey84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2012, 08:22 PM   #6
ssgtgonzo
Entacmaea Enthusiast

My occys did that before I lost them due to a power failure while I was on vacation. Funny because I have a 3" maroon in another tank that will hide for hours if I put my hand in her tank

"Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid" John Wayne
ssgtgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2012, 08:50 PM   #7
Toxic45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmacguy View Post
I flicked mine when he tried to come up and nibble. Hasn't done it since.
I flicked at the little guy a bit and accidentally connected with a pretty sizable flick. I felt really bad because they're so tiny and I didn't know if a flick like that was potentially devastating for the bugger. D=

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscarlata View Post
One time i was siphoning cyno and she kept coming for me, so i kept chasing her with the siphon tube...yep, one time she got sucked into the tube and into the bucket...and yet she still comes after me...
Haha, I'm imagining seeing a little clownfish getting sucked up into the tube and then plopping down in a tank. Looks like she didn't lose her fight though

Toxic45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2012, 01:44 PM   #8
prettyfishy76
Registered Member

I have to remove my female from the tank anytime I do any tank maintenance where my hand has to go in the water. She is ultra-aggressive. I have tried chasing her away with my hand, flicking, batting her with a net or glass scrapper, but nothing works. The only alternative I have is to take her out when I do any work and put her back in when I am done. Otherwise, I would NEVER be able to get anything done in the tank. I certainly feel your pain.

prettyfishy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2012, 01:53 PM   #9
sw_df27
Registered Member

I have 2 and thankfully they still hide from me everytime I put my hand in the tank

sw_df27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2012, 02:03 PM   #10
taphil
Registered Member

One of my clowns one day suddenly started attacking a blue scrubbing sponge I use with my hand in the tank to clean the glass. Without the blue sponge, it leaves my hand and fingers alone.

taphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2012, 03:21 PM   #11
velvetelvis
Registered Member

I have two young blue-stripe cinnamons who used to fear and respect me. Even with their two BTAs, they used to flee and hide in the rocks whenever I approached their tank.

But now that they've settled the question of who's the female and who's the male, and seem to be starting to bond as a pair, they've turned on me: the female attacked me the other day when I was doing tank maintenance. They're still small (under 2"), so I'm sure more pain and suffering is in store for me as they get bigger and feistier...

Unread 08/09/2012, 09:41 PM   #12
andip3
Registered Member.

haha thankfully my clowns don't do this when I put my hand in the tank

andip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2012, 06:25 PM   #13
nipit8
Registered Member

I have 2 Black and white clowns that will tear you UP!!---the LARGE female is named TILLY after tillicum-? the killer whale at sea world.....enough said?!!! lol

nipit8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2012, 06:36 PM   #14
Mavrk
Registered Member

My female ocellaris used to do that. It was more of a shock than pain. She eventually stopped. One solution would be aquarium gloves. Probably a good idea to use those anyway to avoid contaminating the water

Here is an example (haven't checked prices so might be cheaper elsewhere):
http://www.marinedepot.com/Coralife_...FIMTPG-vi.html

Mavrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2012, 12:36 AM   #15
seamonkey84
Registered Member

Mine is voracious, if I have a cut or hangnail or skin tag, that's her target till she gets a piece! In a ten gallon I can't do much to keep her away, I've learned to deal and keep and eye and quick with the flick, but the little she devil has teeth!

seamonkey84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2012, 06:53 AM   #16
vaporized
Registered Member

LOL.....I have a maroon clown that bites me every time I get too close to it's anemone.

vaporized is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2012, 06:50 PM   #17
Reefir
Registered Member

mine bite me all the time , it is really annoying but they are fun to watch ! people love to see the fish attack me . crowd pleaser

Unread 08/11/2012, 08:06 PM   #18
Dionysius
Registered Member

Mine will swim up to the top and wait for me to put my hand in! Then proceeds to bite it every time.

Dionysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2012, 08:20 PM   #19
Fatmike92
Registered Member

When mine started laying eggs my female got extremely aggressive. She drew blood every time. She would latch onto my wrist and start shaking. I ended up giving them to a friend lol so I still visit them

Weird thing is they host in his RBTA and don't mess with him at all

Fatmike92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2012, 09:07 PM   #20
b0bab0ey
Moved On

Consider yourself lucky it's just a Perc. My female Maroon targets the skin in-between my fingers. Sometimes I'll go on the offensive by flicking her with my finger or blowing water at her with a baster. Seems to snap her out "attack mode" sometimes. Or my wife keeps her busy with the net while I take care of business in the tank. If it weren't for my wife, I would get rid of her (the clown, not the wife).

b0bab0ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2012, 09:16 PM   #21
NTSdude
Registered Member

lol, funny

NTSdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2012, 01:08 AM   #22
hanaumabay
Registered Member

Mine would bite as well but not nearly as hard as the maroons! perculas were not full grown, btw, so they were almost like nibbling on my fingers

hanaumabay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2012, 05:05 AM   #23
dc
Moderator Emeritus

LOL, clowns are so evil. My Maroon never bit me, but she rammed my hand and anything else that was in the tank. After she killed all my corals she started knocking over rocks twice her size.

Why? Because I said so of course.

-Sent via Tapatalk Smoke Signals-
dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2012, 05:52 AM   #24
Jdbrine
Registered Member

I've had 20 different clowns over the past 8 years. I've never had one bite me. Until I got my snowflake. She is absolutely vicious!!!!!...... She bites so hard that it is painful. Mainly startling and annoying though. Lol.... I can chase here with my hand fan her hard away with currrent, swat at her to try and scare her to stop. But as soon as a go back to rearranging rock or corals she Immediately starts biting me like crazy!!!. Luckily for her she such a pretty fish I just can't part with her. Hopefully it will stop or at least calm down over time.

Jdbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2012, 07:11 AM   #25
Stopsignhank
Registered Member

Now you all have me worried. I am afraid that Fred and Wilma will bite me when I stick my hands in. Too bad because they are always so happy to see me when I walk up with the can of food.