Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/19/2018, 09:40 PM   #1
malx
Registered Member

Snail ID?

So what do you guys think this is? Someone brought it back from Mexico, thought the shell was empty. It lived out of water for two weeks before she realize. Now he’s in my tank.

The shell itself is a bit bigger than a golf ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 11:50 PM   #2
sean357
Registered Member

I have no idea but that's a beautiful snail and amazing that it could live out of water for two weeks and bounce back. Could very well be a monster but hopefully either way you find a place for it to live!

sean357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 11:51 PM   #3
malx
Registered Member

I think it’s Chicoreus erythrostomus. Has pink inside the shell. I’ll get a pic in white. Anyone know what these guys eat?

Unread 04/19/2018, 11:53 PM   #4
malx
Registered Member

So the guy who gave it to me had it in a 5 gallon section of a connected system with two clownfish and he fed the tank Mysis for 5 months. Maybe it will eat my crabs and other snails, hopefully it’s not a monster. Good thing my clowns in this tank sleep in a 12” carpet nem.

If it’s Chicoreus erythrostomus anyone have any info about them? Wikipedia is scarce on this.

Unread 04/19/2018, 11:57 PM   #5
malx
Registered Member

Here’s a pic I got in white.

Unread 04/20/2018, 12:01 AM   #6
malx
Registered Member

Maybe this? http://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLi...CritterID=2806

Unread 04/20/2018, 10:08 AM   #7
malx
Registered Member

Alright so here's what i've concluded. He's gotta go.

This snail is not collected for aquarium trade, it's really beautiful and comes from the tropical waters on the western side of central america. The issue is, he's a killer but read on because it's not that bad. Hexaplex erythrostomus is a snail which usually is collected for the sole purpose of selling their shells. A woman who went to Mexico for vacation was collecting shells and ended up bringing home a live one. He lived a week with out water, and when she realized that she had a live one, brought him to a local fish store. I put him in my predator tank to eat up the diatoms and he literally cleared my entire sand in a night and ate a chunk of shrimp that I usually feed my anemone this morning (will post video in comments). I can't keep him, because eventually he's going to off my Urchin and Halloween Hermit, and probably end up as dinner for my Carpet Anemone. I found him a good home in a 50 gallon refugium.

Here's what he will do: He will 100% kill and eat any animals that are either very slow or stationary in this fuge. Hexaplex erythrostomus is scavenger of sessile animals. Sessile animals are any animals that can't get away on it's own easily. Corals, Anemones (yes including Aptasia) starfish, barnicals, muscles, tubeworms, most snails, some crabs, bristle worms, etc. While on the hunt they will eat detritus and stir up your sand

Here's what he won't do: He won't play nice with your tankmates. He will eat and kill anything in your display tank and he won't eat coraline. He also won't clog any pumps because this snail is huge, larger than a golf ball.

His name is Dexter.