Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/06/2015, 09:42 AM   #26
tattooedthief
Moved On

divers den is good

tattooedthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2015, 10:03 AM   #27
m1k3
Registered Member

My LFS is usually priced about a $1-5 over LA prices. And get to see them first. Can't beat that.

m1k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2015, 10:07 AM   #28
ghostman
Registered Member

I have a great LFS that I frequent often, but LA/DD is the place to go for quality livestock online. I have also ordered from Cherry and AquaSD with good results. Prices might be a bit higher, but there's a few deals around and the livestock is healthy.

Current Tank Info: 40IM Fusion, 40lbs of rock, and 20lbs of sand. Just a few fish and corals....for now.
ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2015, 10:49 AM   #29
DivingTheWorld
Registered Member

I think it depends on what you have available as far as LFS. I have heard great things about LA/DD, but have never bought online. I am super lucky to have a great LFS nearby which has a good selection and healthy fish. They write the date each arrived next to the fish so you know you're not buying one that just came in the day before and their prices are better as well.

If you have a quality LFS in your area and there is not a large gap in pricing, I personally feel it's better to support the LFS. Many people on this forum have no good choice or no LFS in their area so are forced to buy everything online. By my supporting my LFS, I'm helping to ensure they will continue to survive and benefit our community.

DivingTheWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2015, 11:50 AM   #30
Lizzy_lray
Registered Member

I think it just depends on where you live. Online I love live aquaria/foster and smith. I have two LFS here in Kentucky. Urban oceans and sandys pet shop. The names alone should indicate which one I go to lol! Urban oceans is a reef only supply store and when you walk in it the owner that helps you. At sandys it's could be someone with experience or someone who has never owned a fish ever lol.

I think it's nice to have a person to person relationship especially if you may be having a problem or want more information on a product. It just make sure you know who you are dealing with

Current Tank Info: Established is December 2015 20 gal high nano reef. A beautiful mix of softies, LPS, SPS mix i love different textures and movements
Lizzy_lray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2018, 02:22 PM   #31
Heyro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Music View Post
I am lucky to have a great LFS Pampered Pets in Toledo Ohio. But if your LFS can not get you what you want most people agree that Live Aquaria is great. The one time I ordered from them I got the wrong fish, but they gave me a credit to order a different fish very little fus, and great customer service.
How much of a saltwater selection does Pampered Pets have? I always assumed they just had dog/cat stuff so I never stopped in.
We usually go to Coral Reef in Perrysburg, and more recently stopping at Aqua Culture on Suder, and (newly opened) Aquarium Masterminds on Secor.

Always looking for more LFSs!

Heyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2018, 11:13 AM   #32
Aquavaj
Registered Member

I have a local guy that goes to the wholesaler every now and then. I've been getting fish, corals and inverts at near wholesale prices.

Aquavaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2018, 01:20 PM   #33
Xandernfs
Registered Member

I've been looking to make my first online purchase and I've been leaning towards LA/DD or Cultivated Reef.

I really like what I see on Cultivated Reef, but I know LA/DD has great reviews, but limited selection as the SPS that I'm looking at is always out of stock.

Any thoughts on Cultivated Reef?

Xandernfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2018, 02:13 PM   #34
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

i've had a handful of orders through LA/DD so far, and i've been very happy with the fish i've gotten from them. excellent condition, eating well, etc... i had a clam i ordered from them die, but they reimbursed me minus shipping costs.

i do really like to see the fish, especially see them eating, before i buy them. i usually only use LA/DD for things i absolutely can't get local. my experience with LFS has been similar. in most cases the fish are great, in some cases they are not, but since i can observe them up front i am usually well aware of what i'm getting myself in to. most of my fish have come from an LFS.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2018, 02:39 PM   #35
FlatBrokeMedic
Registered Member

I have had nothing but good experiences ordering online, the only hiccup I had was fedex delivered the package to the wrong house and it was zero outside ,I was waiting on the package when it updated as delivered. I called Fed ex and the got ahold of the driver who fixed the problem. Luckily the packaging was superb and everything lived.

FlatBrokeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote