Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/05/2014, 12:38 PM   #1501
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

All in the name of progress

Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart - Confucius

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful - John Wooden

Current Tank Info: What's that???
pookstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2014, 09:07 PM   #1502
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookstreet View Post
All in the name of progress
Plus we gotta keep things interesting...

------------------------------------------------------------------

We checked the inside of the SURF4 earlier today and noticed hair algae is starting to form on the strings - good sign that things are starting to percolate there. The algae growth should pick up speed considerably with the initial growth getting established.

On the LED front, the corals are starting to color up a bit (we've got more brownies than a girl scout convention ) so we increased the intensity on the left and right fixtures to 85%. They remain on their own "acclimation" profile, not quite up to full production intensity.

We should be able to get all three fixtures onto the same profile within the next 2 to 3 weeks.

And some pics:

Current Tank Info: 200g temp garage tank
prop-frags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2014, 06:14 AM   #1503
john90009
Registered Member

how is your chalices and other lps reacting to the changeover to the leds? mine dont like the leds so i have them shaded- just dont know if there seeing enough light to grow- they dont fluff up.

john90009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2014, 07:06 AM   #1504
ptreef
Registered Member

anyway to have some progress pics like:
Coral x unnder 400w
Coral x during transition
Coral x colring up:
Coral x long term under led...

Would be cool to see if you had a few individual old coral shots and maybe a few of them that are struggling and or thriving during the transition and then see how they color up after led's. As many may change colors a little. some maybe for the better and others for the not so better.

Thanks again for all the detail!

ptreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2014, 08:45 AM   #1505
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by john90009 View Post
how is your chalices and other lps reacting to the changeover to the leds? mine dont like the leds so i have them shaded- just dont know if there seeing enough light to grow- they dont fluff up.
Good question, John! Our chalices and other LPS are seemingly unfazed by the switch to LED's. The majority of those corals sit on the sand bed (approx 3 feet from the light fixtures) and while we have not seen any issues, we will continue to keep a close eye on them as we ramp up the intensity of the two newer fixtures. This does seem to be one of the things that the newer fixtures are addressing - better diffraction/less beaming.

While on the subject of lighting and corals, we should probably clarify that our SPS brownouts are more due to the recent coral scaping work and less about the lighting changes. With some of our SPS colonies getting rather large, we have been working on some pretty major pruning and moving. Quite a few of the corals sat in the sump(s) or the coral QT while this has been going on and they are understandably upset with us.

This is going to make it a bit challenging to provide a reasonably useful comparison of "SPS before LED / SPS during transition/ SPS after LED". More likely we'll have to wait a few more weeks before we can show some before/after shots that are reflective of the lighting changes alone.

In the meantime, we thought we would share a couple of pics of our Rhomboid Rocketeer in his nuptial display:

Unread 05/13/2014, 09:45 AM   #1506
SPotter
Registered Member

Great pics Mike!!!!! I always love seeing your updates!!! cant wait to get my new tank up and running!

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2014, 08:04 PM   #1507
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Beautiful pics Mike. I sent you a message before reading your thread so you can discard it if you like.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2014, 12:15 AM   #1508
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
Great pics Mike!!!!! I always love seeing your updates!!! cant wait to get my new tank up and running!
Thank You, Steve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post
Beautiful pics Mike. I sent you a message before reading your thread so you can discard it if you like.
Thanks, Wayne!

------------------------------------------------------

The SURF4 scrubber has been "percolating" in the sump for about 2 weeks and it looks like we're getting close to Harvest Time:

Unread 05/15/2014, 10:43 AM   #1509
biecacka
Registered Member

Great looking photos as always guys! How often do you anticipate harvesting from the surf scrubber

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2014, 08:21 PM   #1510
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Great looking photos as always guys! How often do you anticipate harvesting from the surf scrubber

Corey
Thank You, Corey! And to answer your question, probably weekly. We'll just add that task in when we do our weekly water change.

Unread 05/15/2014, 08:49 PM   #1511
aquaph8
Love The Fish

Add my waterchange to your list too

Current Tank Info: Leemar 60x36x24, 8x80 T5/LED Sfiligoi GENESIS Alpha 300 skimmer
aquaph8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2014, 07:44 PM   #1512
crat748
Registered Member

Mike and Terry, I spent several days reading your thread. The results of your hard work have paid off for sure. Your tank is beautiful! I have a 125g and just picked up an 8g. One day I will be able to get my dream tank, a 300g, and hopefully it can be half as amazing as yours. I look forward to future updates and awesome pics!

crat748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2014, 12:18 PM   #1513
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaph8 View Post
Add my waterchange to your list too
Sure thing Brett!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crat748 View Post
Mike and Terry, I spent several days reading your thread. The results of your hard work have paid off for sure. Your tank is beautiful! I have a 125g and just picked up an 8g. One day I will be able to get my dream tank, a 300g, and hopefully it can be half as amazing as yours. I look forward to future updates and awesome pics!
Thanks so much for the compliments and for taking the time to read and post in our thread!

--------------------------------------------------------

After our last update on the algae scrubber, we decided to take the vendor's advice and wait another week to make our first harvest (May 24th - 3 weeks growth) which weighed in at 85 grams. Not too shabby!

This picture was taken right before harvesting. You can see a huge difference in the amount of algae growth after waiting the additional week:

And here is the weigh-in:

We have since made our second harvest (11 days growth) and here's a shot of the weigh-in:

100 grams - Wowza! We were not expecting that much growth considering the relatively short time the unit has been in operation, but we certainly are not complaining.

And our update wouldn't be complete without sharing some fish pics:

Unread 06/08/2014, 08:25 AM   #1514
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Yikes...

We inadvertently posted the wrong pic for our second harvest weigh-in. Here's the correct one:

Unread 07/27/2014, 08:29 PM   #1515
Decadence
Registered Member

Tagging along because I'm in the process of converting to a 300dd and our systems have a ton in common. I'm really interested to see how well the tank goes with only three hydra52s. I run two hydra52s and two sol blues over my 90 right now and was planning on running three hydra52s and six sols on the 300dd to get better coverage/less shadowing.

Your fish selection is superb. Are you still actively stocking or are you roughly where you want to be with your bioload? Has the regal angel done any real damage to your SPS?

Unread 08/05/2014, 08:10 PM   #1516
Dbondaruk
Registered Member

Sent pm

Dbondaruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2014, 11:45 AM   #1517
bwrag
Registered Member

Any update or regrets on lighting. I'm setting up a 300 dd and still on the fence for led and mh

bwrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2014, 07:39 PM   #1518
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadence View Post
Tagging along because I'm in the process of converting to a 300dd and our systems have a ton in common. I'm really interested to see how well the tank goes with only three hydra52s. I run two hydra52s and two sol blues over my 90 right now and was planning on running three hydra52s and six sols on the 300dd to get better coverage/less shadowing.

Your fish selection is superb. Are you still actively stocking or are you roughly where you want to be with your bioload? Has the regal angel done any real damage to your SPS?
Depending on your aquascaping and coral stocking decisions, you may find that three hydra 52s will not provide adequate coverage. This is still a work in progress for us, but for right now, we have added an additional Kessil A360 to each section. Currently, they are positioned to provide their light on the front of each section, and the AI fixtures are covering the mid-to-back of each section.

Stocking isn't really ever complete is it? We'd love to say that we don't have losses, but it does occasionally happen. Wrasses in particular are not known for their longevity, so we do typically have some in the QT. Our recent additions include a new trio of Genicanthus semifaciatus, and a Macropharyngodon choati. All four are doing great:

The regal is a dream. She picks at corals, but nothing really damaging results. Plus, what a fantastic fish - we just couldn't be happier with her in the tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwrag View Post
Any update or regrets on lighting. I'm setting up a 300 dd and still on the fence for led and mh
Regrets on lighting? Hmmm, not really. All-in-all, the move to LEDs is beneficial. The costs to run the system are dropping noticeably. The chiller almost never comes on. Top-off water use has gone down. The electricity bill has fallen significantly. We don't have to buy 3 new MH bulbs every 7 months. The ability to control the LEDs color and intensity, plus the other "cool features" is really a great step forward in technology and sophistication. Sure, some of the corals haven't done well, despite all of our efforts to gradually introduce the LEDs. We cannot point conclusively to the LEDs as the cause (we've had some other problems during the time like alk swings, a poor fish choice, etc.). So while the MH lighting for us is the tried-and-true solution, it was time to move on.

The left side has gotten a real make-over this summer:

Thanks for watching!

Unread 09/05/2014, 10:02 PM   #1519
rpjaws74
Registered Member

always a pleasure seeing your tank!!

Current Tank Info: 500 glln system/ Reef
rpjaws74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2014, 05:28 PM   #1520
crvz
Team RC Member

love the new angels, I've considered those when I see them pop up on liveaquaria but havent had the guts to jump on them (they aint cheap at that store, which certainly influences the decision). I am also adding a algae turf scrubber (influenced by your success a bit, but more of a DIY since I had the space to add a whole new tank to pull it off), so I'm hoping to get better growth out of corals with a lessened nutrient load. I've run a large number of fish in the past, and I'm trying to be a bit more strategic with that moving forward.

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
crvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2014, 09:59 AM   #1521
glaukos
Registered Member

Great pics mike
The new fish look amazing(realy like the angels too ) and the make-over of the left side is awesome.
Thanks for sharing

Unread 09/08/2014, 06:18 PM   #1522
Oldude
Premium Member

I remain a fan of your reef & your photos are fantastic. Enjoyed the update.

~ April 2010 TOTM ~
Oldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2014, 09:38 PM   #1523
FDAWG
Registered Member

Amazing shots! Love your fish collection.

FDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2014, 04:33 AM   #1524
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Great updates as always. The new aquascape on the left side looks fantastic. Just to be curious, where are your levels since adding the Surf scrubber. Were they higher before or now that you have it you use less equipment now?

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2014, 10:17 PM   #1525
SaintMark
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Tagging along. I have read all 61 pages over the last few days and I admire your fortitude and perseverance. Very good thread!

-Mark

SaintMark is offline   Reply With Quote