Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/01/2014, 08:06 PM   #1176
Reefvet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadan206 View Post
Hey Scott. I'm curious why you went with the 360 at this point. I like the lights personally, but I hear through the grapevine that Kessil did not. They discontinued the 360 model recently. It looks like the 380 model will be introduced at MACNA.
Sorry but you don't know what you're talking about.

Kessil has not discontinued the A360E and there is no A380 coming. There is a an H380 announced for the horticulture market.

You're on top of it with the A360s Scott. Ignore the rumor mill.

Reefvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2014, 09:27 AM   #1177
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrossetti View Post
Amazing. Your tank looks amazing.
Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galtamar View Post
Very nice, love the shimmer.... So many light choices, still deciding what to use.... Anything that made you choose the Kessils vs the competition??
I chose the Kessils for a few reasons. My number 1 priority was Apex compatibility. #2 was ease of installation on to my light rack. Shimmer and cost were also considerations. My other two options were Radion Pro G3's and Hydra 52's. At the end of the day, the Kessils allowed me the most flexibility for mounting and coverage with my light rack and did so at a lower cost. Albeit only slightly compared to the Hydra's. The shimmer obviously was a great upside as is Kessils quality and support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegogut View Post
I'm curious about the house training of the iguana as well. Is he litter box trained? How did you do it and was it hard?
He is litter box trained. He lives on a couch in the other room but gets along with the two dogs, the cat and us people. He comes when I call him as long as he can see me. As for litter box training him, it was pretty easy as I've done it before. They are very habitual in that the tend to go to the bathroom in the same place. Place a litter box with water in it where they go to the bathroom and that is usually all it takes to condition them to the box. Then after a couple weeks, replace the litter box with litter and add some of their poop to it. You can also try bypassing the water in the box but I've always found that water triggers them to go so it's worked well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefvet View Post
Sorry but you don't know what you're talking about.

Kessil has not discontinued the A360E and there is no A380 coming. There is a an H380 announced for the horticulture market.

You're on top of it with the A360s Scott. Ignore the rumor mill.
Yea, I wasn't too worried. I dug around an watched the MACNA news as well but as I said, I didn't really give a second thought to it.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2014, 09:18 AM   #1178
kw22
Registered Member

Wow,just read over this thread.Love the tank!!!

Current Tank Info: All freshwater at the moment.Hoping to set up a marine tank in the future.
kw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2014, 11:40 AM   #1179
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw22 View Post
Wow,just read over this thread.Love the tank!!!
Thank you very much!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 09/19/2014, 10:25 AM   #1180
scubadan206
Registered Member

Yeah, honestly we are just guessing on the Kessil thing. It is true that Kessil is not satisfied with the 360, and that some sites no longer carry it. Sometime in the near future I would expect an upgrade based on the aforementioned H380, but any info on that truly is just rumor at this point. You did the right thing.
I've been watching the LA fishguy's episodes, so congrats' on the guest host gig... Really is kind of a bummer for Jim to have lost clients, but that's the economy that was shoved down our thoughts.
The hobby is still growing, so like the man said, "Keep moving foreword".
Daniel.

scubadan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2014, 12:58 PM   #1181
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Yeah, honestly we are just guessing on the Kessil thing. It is true that Kessil is not satisfied with the 360, and that some sites no longer carry it. Sometime in the near future I would expect an upgrade based on the aforementioned H380, but any info on that truly is just rumor at this point. You did the right thing.
I've been watching the LA fishguy's episodes, so congrats' on the guest host gig... Really is kind of a bummer for Jim to have lost clients, but that's the economy that was shoved down our thoughts.
The hobby is still growing, so like the man said, "Keep moving foreword".
Daniel.
Not sure why anybody wouldn't be happy with the 360WE's. Every tank I have seen under them was thriving and my tank is doing better than ever under the new lights. Polyp extension on my soft corals is better than ever and one of my hammer corals that sprouted up in my tank from nothing years ago and was very white is coloring up under the new lights. I'm really pleased with the results and couldn't be happier. Given that it's been over a month now since the upgrade, I can honestly say this was a very good upgrade with no downside.

Unread 09/19/2014, 01:11 PM   #1182
scubadan206
Registered Member

I like them also. The info I got was second-hand. The folks at Kessil are obviously perfectionists. They will want to tinker with any design until they do it to what they consider is the best they can. I like companies that don't just use the bottom line as a gauge for whether a product is satisfactory. We need more like them.
Your tank looks great Scott. Will you add another Kessil to your little refugium next to the tank?
P.S. I hope you and Jim get a little [Quid pro quo] from your little commercial for Spectrapure.
Daniel.

scubadan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2014, 01:29 PM   #1183
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

I saw that Spectrapure commercial. You're quite the spokesman!

Mr. Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2014, 03:21 PM   #1184
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
I saw that Spectrapure commercial. You're quite the spokesman!
I thought it was pretty clever. Especially for being unrehersed and unscripted. They really liked it too. They took care of him on the RODI and are going to sponsor some future episodes. They are a great company and are by far the best at what they do.

Unread 09/19/2014, 03:27 PM   #1185
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I like them also. The info I got was second-hand. The folks at Kessil are obviously perfectionists. They will want to tinker with any design until they do it to what they consider is the best they can. I like companies that don't just use the bottom line as a gauge for whether a product is satisfactory. We need more like them.
Your tank looks great Scott. Will you add another Kessil to your little refugium next to the tank?
P.S. I hope you and Jim get a little [Quid pro quo] from your little commercial for Spectrapure.
Daniel.
Like any LED company, they are always improving and evolving. It should go without saying that the next model will be an imrovement on the previous version. I tested a borrowed Kessil 350 on my display fuge and preferred the coverage of the maxspect. Especially for what it cost me. A 360WE would be nice over the display fuge but that Maxspect is working fine. The soft corals that are in there have all trippled in size since adding them to the fuge. As such, I am happy with the status quo.. At least for now. Plus the fuge also benifits from natural sunlight coming through the window despite the UV shielding of the glass.

Unread 09/19/2014, 05:01 PM   #1186
prop-frags
SPS Slave

We are running several of the Kessil fixtures. Three of the 360's in our DT, and a 150 out in the garage over one of the QT tanks. We checked out their new dual-element pendant fixture that's coming out this quarter (they hinted at late November). It was really impressive, with some sweet new features (built in wireless, web controller, etc.) It's not going to be cheap, but you pay for excellent engineering. Their chips and optics are great.

Current Tank Info: 200g temp garage tank
prop-frags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2014, 09:44 PM   #1187
reefermad619
Registered Member

You ever get those par readings for the kessils?

reefermad619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2014, 10:42 AM   #1188
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefermad619 View Post
You ever get those par readings for the kessils?
I did take a recent PAR reading with about 75% intensity and 85% color. If memory serves me I was seeing around 250-275 par with the lights 12" off the water and measured about 10" below the surface. The par readings are very similar with the current settings to my Reeftech LED's however, as I have read, Kessils don't show great par numbers because a large part of the spectrum doesn't read well with the meters. I also have a ridiculous amount of surface agitation which compromises par readings in a big way. More over, it makes it very hard to get a good reading as the numbers jump all over the map. If I didn't have the surface agitation or shut my pumps off, I am reasonably certain my readings would be closer to if not in excess of 400.

That said, my finger corals and cult corals have been growing like weeds since the new lights were installed and I am seeing better polyp extension on my leathers than I have ever seen. In short, the coral growth seems to have accelerated. In all honesty, I really like the results of these lights and I've even lowered my intensity a bit since I first set them up.

Unread 10/18/2014, 05:24 PM   #1189
slief
RC Sponsor

Here is LA Fish Guys episode part 1 of 3 covering my Kessil install.

Unread 10/18/2014, 05:26 PM   #1190
slief
RC Sponsor

Part 2.

Unread 10/18/2014, 05:27 PM   #1191
slief
RC Sponsor

Part 3. This part covers the Kessil setup with Apex fusion.

Last edited by slief; 10/18/2014 at 06:17 PM.
Unread 10/18/2014, 06:19 PM   #1192
Bilk
Registered Member

Dude, that is now my favorite fish channel LOL Nice work Steve! Also want to thank you for posting the info on the Ram mounts you used. I purchased some for my Kessil fixtures. They were just what I needed to get the light directed where I needed it.

I'll post pics of my menagerie in my build thread. Nothing cool like your iguana though. I think if I brought one home, my siamese would think it was a meal. LOL

Unread 10/18/2014, 08:20 PM   #1193
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Like any LED company, they are always improving and evolving. It should go without saying that the next model will be an imrovement on the previous version.
Agreed! Is true of any 'emerging' technology. LED's may have been around for a while, but new applications such as reef lighting or flat panel displays means there's always going to be something better next year. However, since one can't buy next years model, and next year one won't be able to buy the year after that's model ...... the current ones look really nice on your tank! Really like the shimmer.

Also, does the combination of the VDM module and the Kessils give you smooth dimming up from and down to zero? I've become increasingly unhappy with the staggered dim on my current fixture and the fact that it does not dim down completely.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs

Last edited by ca1ore; 10/18/2014 at 08:27 PM.
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2014, 11:10 PM   #1194
reefermad619
Registered Member

Really enjoyed the vids!

reefermad619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2014, 01:28 PM   #1195
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilk View Post
Dude, that is now my favorite fish channel LOL Nice work Steve! Also want to thank you for posting the info on the Ram mounts you used. I purchased some for my Kessil fixtures. They were just what I needed to get the light directed where I needed it.

I'll post pics of my menagerie in my build thread. Nothing cool like your iguana though. I think if I brought one home, my siamese would think it was a meal. LOL
Thanks! I will go and check out your build thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Agreed! Is true of any 'emerging' technology. LED's may have been around for a while, but new applications such as reef lighting or flat panel displays means there's always going to be something better next year. However, since one can't buy next years model, and next year one won't be able to buy the year after that's model ...... the current ones look really nice on your tank! Really like the shimmer.

Also, does the combination of the VDM module and the Kessils give you smooth dimming up from and down to zero? I've become increasingly unhappy with the staggered dim on my current fixture and the fact that it does not dim down completely.
The Apex controller/VDM provides a perfectly smooth increase and decrease of both color and intensity for sunrise and sunset. There is no appearance of stepping up or down in intensity or color. Instead, it's a smooth, gradual and completely undetectable transition right up until the lights go off at about 12%. That change is noticeable as it's abrupt but the lights are also really dim at that point so it's acceptable. I guess if I were really eccentric about that, I would consider some dimmable LED strip lights to ease that transition but it doesn't bother me in the least and as such isn't worth the effort although it would be easy enough to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefermad619 View Post
Really enjoyed the vids!
Glad you enjoyed them!

Unread 11/05/2014, 07:00 PM   #1196
slief
RC Sponsor

I went to Reefapalooza weekend before last and got a Super Dart Gold from the Reeflo booth. My plan was to swap it in place of my Hammerhead Gold return pump in an effort to reduce my power consumption (some more) as well as heat transfer. My tank was burning around 1800 watts during the day when the lights are on. That's about 1/3 of what it used several years back before my sump, pump and lighting upgrade. Still I am always looking for ways to improve the system and reduce it's toll on my pocket book..

The end result was a quieter pump that dropped my power consumption by 1.5 amps (165 watts) according to my Apex. If I shut the doors below the tank, I can't hear the pumps at all. Not that it was an issue with the Hammerhead but it is noticeably quieter. It seems to have dropped my ambient tank temp by 1/2 -1 degree which wouldn't be horrible during the summer months when my tank idles at 82* with the persuasion of a couple 8" fans for evaporative cooling. Hopefully during the colder months my tank will stay at 75* or above. I don't want to use heaters and I'm glad I haven't had to depend on my chiller since switching to the Reeflo's 4 years ago. Worst case, I can always use my Hammerhead Gold during the colder months but I don't think that will be an issue. I already run a Dart gold for my closed loop and the Super Dart Gold is now in place for my return pump. I also run a few Tunze wave pumps and a Koralia and have great flow in the tank. The Super Dart is putting about the same flow at my head pressure as my Hammerhead which I had gated down slightly. I opened up the gate valve slightly for the Superdart to match the original flow to the tank. I can how much flow I need based on the water level of the tank.

It also opened the floor up a bit by the pumps which is nice as it will make it easier to clean the mats under and around the pumps. My Hammerhead Gold will now be my spare return pump and I will sell my spare non gold Hammerhead.

Here is a before and after shot.

Before. Hammerhead Gold on the right and Dart Gold closed loop pump on the left.

After shot. This little pump puts out a lot of flow and does so, extremely quietly! I still need to clean the rubber mats around the pumps as there was a little bit of spillage when I did the pump swap last night.

Last edited by slief; 11/05/2014 at 07:30 PM.
Unread 11/10/2014, 01:21 PM   #1197
pmrossetti
Registered Member

Big difference Scott. Good move.

pmrossetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2014, 06:17 PM   #1198
pmrossetti
Registered Member

Snazzy little pump.

pmrossetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2014, 01:52 PM   #1199
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrossetti View Post
Snazzy little pump.

Unread 11/20/2014, 08:41 PM   #1200
slief
RC Sponsor

Display fuge upgrade coming.. Just got a 24x24x24 60 gallon cube. It will be replacing my 24x24x12" 30 gallon cube display fuge. Will probably do it this Saturday. To be continued....