Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/02/2014, 07:51 PM   #1
Grnorton
Registered Member

New tank! Few questions!

36 gallon bowfront, 7.5 gallon sump, cobra life 65 protein skimmer, 2 marine land 400 circulation pumps, phosphate reactor, ro/di water from lfs.
Ammonia .25ppm (earlier this afternoon after adding clownfish 2 days ago)
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Temp 78
Salinity 1.024 ( raised from 1.023 this afternoon with water change to dilute ammonia)
40 lbs live rock
I set the tank up 3 weeks ago with cured live rock, live sand, and dr tims 1 and only and I added a green chromis, skunk shrimp and some turbo snails once the algae began, tank hit 0's across the board in parameters in about 11 days. I waited another 8 days and added the clown fish (about 3") and a strawberry crab which was done 2 days ago. Today after work I noticed the ammonia so I did a 5 gallon water change and raised the salinity to 1.024 from 1.023 over the course of about an hour. Ever since then my clown hasn't stopped zooming around the tank esp on the opposite side of my sump return. Any ideas as to why he's acting funny?

Grnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2014, 07:52 PM   #2
Grnorton
Registered Member

Coralife skimmer **

Unread 01/02/2014, 08:08 PM   #3
Grnorton
Registered Member

Just tested ammonia again and my guess is that it's around .1 ppm-.15. Judging by the color, shrimp is fine 0 signs of distress as well as the chromis. Clown is breathing normal just acting very sporadic

Unread 01/02/2014, 08:42 PM   #4
BlindZide
Registered Member

Well most research I have found says that they can do this from time to time. Mine does about 2-3 times a week. My female just goes ape around the tank while the male just chills in one corner and looks on. Thoughts as to why are..... that the clown is weird or the clown is trying to show dominance. Or it could be other things I don't know of.

BlindZide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2014, 10:26 PM   #5
thegrun
Registered Member

Could be dominance but also could be the ammonia. Fish will twitch and swim fast to get more oxygen when they are suffering from ammonia poisoning. I would add Amquel or one of the other ammonia neutralizing products available. Ammonia poisoning is a bad way to go.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia, clown, water change