Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/29/2013, 09:25 AM   #1
finrod2
Premium Member

Goldflake angel added with Dwf Angels?

Hi,
I have a 240g mixed reef that is stocked with a flame angel, coral beauty, and flameback angel among other fish. The dwarfs are getting along together although there is some chasing that goes on. I'd like to add a goldflake angel. Anyone try this with OK results?

Current Tank Info: 375G 84"x42"x27" SPS/Fish
finrod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2013, 09:13 PM   #2
o2manyfish
Registered Member

I have a Medium sized Goldflake with a Flame, MultiColor, pair of Golden, Pair of Flameback, Venustus, pair of multi-bar, trio of bellus and a juvenile regal. None of the angels bother each other. The goldflake is 4x larger than most of the other angels and leaves everyone alone.

I have had several goldflakes over the years and they are wonderful fish.

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2013, 10:05 PM   #3
aandfsoccr04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post
I have a Medium sized Goldflake with a Flame, MultiColor, pair of Golden, Pair of Flameback, Venustus, pair of multi-bar, trio of bellus and a juvenile regal. None of the angels bother each other. The goldflake is 4x larger than most of the other angels and leaves everyone alone.

Dave B
Any problems with the goldflake nipping at corals?

Unread 01/29/2013, 11:09 PM   #4
o2manyfish
Registered Member

The Goldflake takes an occasional nip, but doesn't cause any damage. The larger of my two goldens does a bit more picking that I would like, but only during the day when the lights are off.

7 months ago I switched to new Radiums and burned a large red blasto colony. I had the colony for 4 months and nobody touched it. After a couple of days of the blastos not opening all the way the Goldflake just went and decimated two colonies.

Someone also gave me some plugs with some designer zoas - 2 or 3 heads per plug. And the goldflake cleaned off 3 out of 5 plugs. However I have literally 100's of other zoas that are never touched. And I have added zoa frag plus since and they weren't touched.

I have almost 100 acro colonies, close to 30 LPS colonies and some softies, so there is plenty for them (all the angels) to choose from.

I don't have any chalices or acans now. But I have had them with other Goldflakes in the past.

Dave B

Unread 01/30/2013, 12:05 AM   #5
aandfsoccr04
Registered Member

Yeah I am really big into collecting designer zoas lately and would hat to have 100s of dollars go out the window because the fish decides to go on a rampage one day. I really want a fish that is borderline reef safe like a regal angel, declivis angelfish, or goldflake angel but I just don't know which oen to get.

Unread 01/30/2013, 08:08 AM   #6
small alien
The fungus is among us.

Quote:

Dave B
That sounds amazing. Do you have some pics you could share?

Current Tank Info: 75 mixed reef. F OSFF, Clingfish, M/F Leopards, M Mandy, Darwin Clown, Bullet Goby, Green Clown Goby, M/F Matted Files, Bluestripe Pipe, Tailspot Blenny, Canary Wrasse, Royal Gramma, Papua Toby Puffer, Snooty Maori Wrasse.
small alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2013, 08:11 AM   #7
small alien
The fungus is among us.

Quote:

7 months ago I switched to new Radiums and burned a large red blasto colony. I had the colony for 4 months and nobody touched it. After a couple of days of the blastos not opening all the way the Goldflake just went and decimated two colonies.

B
I think this is key. It seems a lot of times when "reef safe" fish go after a coral, the coral was compromised already. I think many people miss this.

Current Tank Info: 75 mixed reef. F OSFF, Clingfish, M/F Leopards, M Mandy, Darwin Clown, Bullet Goby, Green Clown Goby, M/F Matted Files, Bluestripe Pipe, Tailspot Blenny, Canary Wrasse, Royal Gramma, Papua Toby Puffer, Snooty Maori Wrasse.
small alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2013, 10:37 AM   #8
o2manyfish
Registered Member

The Bellus are very reef safe. I have had a pair for over a year. And about 7 months ago picked up a female that was less than 3/4". The tiny female is now close to 3.5" and looks great. No Harem has formed yet but they don't pick at anything and they don't bother any of the other fish.

Dave B

Unread 01/30/2013, 09:48 PM   #9
turtlespd
Premium Member

Dave have I told u today how much I hated u. I just wanted to let u know.

turtlespd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2013, 10:17 PM   #10
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Paul,

No love buddy..... Come on now

Dave B

Unread 01/31/2013, 08:56 AM   #11
LargeAngels
Premium Member

I have a couple of gold flakes, all with multiple dwarfs in with them. One that I grew from a juvi always picked one a flame angle until I added a bluespot to the tank. Now there is no issues. That is only issue I ever had.

LargeAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2013, 11:02 AM   #12
yalpal
Registered Member

I added my Goldflake to my 180 which already had a Flame, Cherub, and Regal Angels. I made sure to get a larger one so that it would have less trouble. After QT he did not have an issue with any of my other angels, my Goldrim Tang (who was the alpha male of my tank) beat him up a little, but now my Goldflake runs the show. I had an SPS dominated tank with some fleshy LPS, but that quickly turned into an SPS only tank with a few exceptions such as Euphyllia. Hope that helps! Goldflakes are beautiful and very entertaining fish!

yalpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2013, 11:09 AM   #13
chaaban
Registered Member

Was wondering if all the pictures of the angels above are reef safe? In particular I like the one above the full tank shot.

chaaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2013, 11:13 AM   #14
o2manyfish
Registered Member

The one above the FTS is a Venustus angel. I have had a couple over the years and never had an issue with them in the reef. The bigger issue in the past has been that they are very shy and timid fish and not always good about eating. This Venustus I've have for about 5 months and eats lots of prepared foods and is out and about quite a bit.

Dave B

Unread 01/31/2013, 12:15 PM   #15
aandfsoccr04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalpal View Post
I added my Goldflake to my 180 which already had a Flame, Cherub, and Regal Angels. I made sure to get a larger one so that it would have less trouble. After QT he did not have an issue with any of my other angels, my Goldrim Tang (who was the alpha male of my tank) beat him up a little, but now my Goldflake runs the show. I had an SPS dominated tank with some fleshy LPS, but that quickly turned into an SPS only tank with a few exceptions such as Euphyllia. Hope that helps! Goldflakes are beautiful and very entertaining fish!
Did you have zoas in your tank? that's my main concern.

Unread 01/31/2013, 01:32 PM   #16
yalpal
Registered Member

The only zoas I have are a few that hitchhiked on some live rock. My friend gave me a frag of palys to try and my Goldflake had a lot of fun tossing the plug around my tank until they were all gone. It definitely depends on the individual fish but from what I've seen, you would be taking a decent risk if you're mainly concerned with zoas. Maybe if you started with a small one you might have a better chance at being able to keep it well fed on prepared food and if it did decide to go after your zoas it would do a lot less damage than a large one. Before I got my Goldflake my Regal would occasionally nip at my LPS, but the Goldflake taught my Regal pretty quickly and it started to tear up any fleshy LPS along with my Goldflake.

yalpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2013, 01:48 PM   #17
aandfsoccr04
Registered Member

Yeah that makes me extremely nervous to try one of these fish in my display tank when I've invested quite a bit in zoas. Maybe I'll just stick with a tang or something known to be definitely reef safe. Post a pic of your fish when you can. Thanks!

Unread 02/02/2018, 03:56 PM   #18
roberthu526
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:

Dave B
I am picking up on an old thread. But could you please share if you have kept multiple goldflakes in one tank? If you have, how big is the tank and what is the setup like?

I ask because I already have a juvenile goldflake that is about 1.5" and I am thinking about adding another one. But if it's too risky I will give up before I try. The current goldflake has been in the tank for about a month and is doing wonderful. Eating mysis and clams, oysters and constantly picking on rock.

Thanks in advance.

roberthu526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2018, 06:34 PM   #19
Spslvr
Registered Member

my goldflake was in a tank with a golden and the goldflake was definitly the boss....

Spslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2018, 07:01 PM   #20
m0nkie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spslvr View Post
my goldflake was in a tank with a golden and the goldflake was definitly the boss....
which one would you pick if you can only keep one?

I like both, but I think I'll stick with my Goldflake only so I have room for other angels.

Unread 02/05/2018, 01:49 AM   #21
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Roberth526 - I have (2) Goldflakes in my 400g currently. They have been together in the 400gallon since last July without any issue.

Prior to July I had another pair of Goldflakes, but we lost them during a power outage.

The pair that I lost, and the current pair, were all purchased at the same time (Oct 2016) and all 4 grown out together in my outdoor frag tank (180g). In Dec of 2016 my wife and I picked the 2 largest from the frag tank and moved them to the display tank.

So I went from 4 in a 180g. To 2 in a 180 and 2 in a 400.

I have never had any issues with the Goldflakes not playing nicely with each other, or anyone else. No one bothers them and they don't bother anyone.

Monkie, or anyone else, there is no choice between a Goldflake and Golden. A Goldflake angel can be the centerpiece fish (or fishes) in a reef.

A Golden Angel, is a mystery fish. I previous had a trio of Goldens. 2 of them for more than 8 years. And the trio was Spawning in the tank. Even with that level of comfort in my reef, if I saw a Golden angel every 2 months I was lucky.

After a Kalk accident 5 years ago. When we lost 90% of our fish. It was 18 months after the accident that I discovered that one of my Golden angels was still alive when it photobombed a macro shot - I didn't know till editing.

And then a few months after that - both Golden angels came out.

I have been keeping Golden Angels for almost 20 years -- They are super reclusive and secretive. Don't expect to enjoy them on daily basis.

Dave B

Unread 02/05/2018, 05:44 AM   #22
roberthu526
Registered Member

Quote:
Roberth526 - I have (2) Goldflakes in my 400g currently. They have been together in the 400gallon since last July without any issue.

Prior to July I had another pair of Goldflakes, but we lost them during a power outage.

The pair that I lost, and the current pair, were all purchased at the same time (Oct 2016) and all 4 grown out together in my outdoor frag tank (180g). In Dec of 2016 my wife and I picked the 2 largest from the frag tank and moved them to the display tank.

So I went from 4 in a 180g. To 2 in a 180 and 2 in a 400.

I have never had any issues with the Goldflakes not playing nicely with each other, or anyone else. No one bothers them and they don't bother anyone.

Monkie, or anyone else, there is no choice between a Goldflake and Golden. A Goldflake angel can be the centerpiece fish (or fishes) in a reef.

A Golden Angel, is a mystery fish. I previous had a trio of Goldens. 2 of them for more than 8 years. And the trio was Spawning in the tank. Even with that level of comfort in my reef, if I saw a Golden angel every 2 months I was lucky.

After a Kalk accident 5 years ago. When we lost 90% of our fish. It was 18 months after the accident that I discovered that one of my Golden angels was still alive when it photobombed a macro shot - I didn't know till editing.

And then a few months after that - both Golden angels came out.

I have been keeping Golden Angels for almost 20 years -- They are super reclusive and secretive. Don't expect to enjoy them on daily basis.

Dave B

Thank you for sharing! It’s awesome to hear that two goldflake angel is possible! I will try it out when my 300G is ready. Thanks a lot. I a ppreciate the write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 02/05/2018, 10:59 AM   #23
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Roberthu,

You can watch my goldflakes live on the webcam - o2manyfish.com/webcam - Tanks lights come on around 4.30pm Pacific time and are on till 1am. During the day time there is enough light to see into the tank but the reflection is kind of bad.

In addition to the pair of Goldflakes in my 400g you can also see a pair of yellow belly mis-bar regals, a trio of bellus, a trio of Venustus, a trio of African Flame backs, a flame and you can dream that you see the (1) golden I currently have.

In the outside frag tank - o2manyfish.com/fragtank - that webcam doesn't have the best view - and the frag tank is lit when ever the sun is out. You will find my adult Imperator - entirely raised off sunlight and things grown in the frag tank, a Navarchus, and a trio of venustus.

Dave B

Unread 02/05/2018, 12:33 PM   #24
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Roberthu,

You can watch my goldflakes live on the webcam - o2manyfish.com/webcam - Tanks lights come on around 4.30pm Pacific time and are on till 1am. During the day time there is enough light to see into the tank but the reflection is kind of bad.

In addition to the pair of Goldflakes in my 400g you can also see a pair of yellow belly mis-bar regals, a trio of bellus, a trio of Venustus, a trio of African Flame backs, a flame and you can dream that you see the (1) golden I currently have.

In the outside frag tank - o2manyfish.com/fragtank - that webcam doesn't have the best view - and the frag tank is lit when ever the sun is out. You will find my adult Imperator - entirely raised off sunlight and things grown in the frag tank, a Navarchus, and a trio of venustus.

Dave B
Dave knows fish. How is the purple tang doing?

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2018, 03:34 PM   #25
roberthu526
Registered Member

Quote:
Roberthu,

Dave B

I have watched the channel a few times last year and I think I have watched YouTube videos either by you or about your tanks. Very cool setups!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk